ok so im pretty set on getting a valveking head BUT

i kind of need some more convincing =/

i may be able to get a mesa 2x12 rectifier cab tomorrow for a pretty good price

its in a shop near me, its pre-owned and they are advertising it at the same price as brand new ones so i may be able to talk them down around £200 (if im lucky)

so im pretty sure anything would sound good through one of those so is the valveking worth it for £450 or can i get a better head for that price???

im aiming for metallica sound (the load albums) so think "the memory remains" and " aint my b***h"
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
the VK can get Metallica tones with the right speakers, pedals and mods.

You are in the UK, so I would think a VK head and Mesa cab would not be a good value for you.

The VK thread can help you with the speakers, pedals and mods. If that is the best deal close to you and you like the tone go for it. Otherwise, I would think you could find better amps for thrash metal.
now this is why i have to put multiple posts, because i get really varied responses whenever i ask anything on here lol

i was under the impression (because i know nothing about amps) that to get the tone i wanted i would need an american voiced amp (peaves, line 6, mesa) put through a good speaker but as i explained in my previous thread i have a budget of £600

since i am in no rush to get the amp i can buy the head now and save up for a cab of vice-versa

i would like a head and cab because then i can start to mix and match when my band actually gets together again
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
the 1st thing you`ve got to do with a VK is swap out the tubes, the stock ones at best are crap, JJ tubes sound awesome in the vk100h and 212 (same amp). if you go for the head get a cab with celestions or jensons in it the vk speakers have a very dark voicing imo.

as said check the vk thread as there are guys in there with far more experience with modding this amp.
My VK does that sound very well IMO. Of course I run a boost, EQ pedal, new speakers, and new tubes.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan