Hi ppl, a month ago i posted a thread about rebuying an old guitar of mine that i loved and had to let go 3 years ago due to an economical crisis...

The guitar is an Ibanez Prestige SZ2020, heres the link to the old thread with all the details and pics... https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1332045

So finally decided to rebuy the guitar even with all the fear that i had to the scalloped fretboard thing... All i can say its WOW !, i loved scalloped fretboard and it feels pretty munch the same like it was before but with an overall easier way to play everything... including chords, they dont go out of tune even when i press hard.

Well now cut to the chase... the guitar is loaded with Seymour Duncan / IBZ pickups that are very noisy for being humbuckers, so i am thinking of replacing them with some Dimarzios but i just dont know what to choose, the guitar has a very PRS, les paulish type of tone and imn seeking a set of pickups that opens up the versatality of it with means that i dont whant pickups that behave well on cleans and sucks on distortion or viceversa, just something balanced...

My lastly choises are:

1. Set of Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF
2. Dimarzio Air Norton (Neck), Dimarzio Air Zone (Bridge)
3. Dimarzio Air Norton (Neck), Dimarzio Tone Zone (Bridge)

Any input its really apreciated and thanks for ur time reading this long post
Last edited by TheStratGod at Jul 26, 2010,
Hey man, glad your enjoying the scalloped fretboard. I have an old squier sitting around doing nothing and I keep meaning to scallop it.. One day.

As far as pickups I have not heard the PAF's in person, so I wont input on those.
I do own a DiMarzio Dp102 x2n - its supposed to be the highest gain passive humbucker on the market today, but I dont know that for sure. What I do know is that it has been an absolute dream to own. I cant imagine my guitar without it. The highs are so sharp and blistering.

Check the reviews both online and here on UG, you would be hard pressed to find one below 9/10.

I have recorded with the DP102 X2N, if you want to hear the sound check out "Pandemonium" on my profile.

EDIT - The DP 102 also looks bad ass!
Last edited by JJ2003 at Jul 26, 2010,
I have Dimarzio Air Classic on my fender strat, the are not hot pickups but the have extremy good string by string definition and open soud... also the split on coils very nice... i just love them... Paul gilbert is been using these for quite a while check them out
Breed Set?
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by JJ2003
Hey man, glad your enjoying the scalloped fretboard. I have an old squier sitting around doing nothing and I keep meaning to scallop it.. One day.

As far as pickups I have not heard the PAF's in person, so I wont input on those.
I do own a DiMarzio Dp102 x2n - its supposed to be the highest gain passive humbucker on the market today, but I dont know that for sure. What I do know is that it has been an absolute dream to own. I cant imagine my guitar without it. The highs are so sharp and blistering.

Check the reviews both online and here on UG, you would be hard pressed to find one below 9/10.

I have recorded with the DP102 X2N, if you want to hear the sound check out "Pandemonium" on my profile.

EDIT - The DP 102 also looks bad ass!

Wow, thats a pretty straight forward pickup... i will take a look at your track.

In what kind of guitar you have those loaded ?, since my guitar has a very les paul type of tone im looking for something that besides of being more versatile might open up the sound just a little bit without going to the "thin tone" area... i rea
Quote by marianoarnaiz
I have Dimarzio Air Classic on my fender strat, the are not hot pickups but the have extremy good string by string definition and open soud... also the split on coils very nice... i just love them... Paul gilbert is been using these for quite a while check them out

The Air Classics are really great to get chimmey cleans on your guitar but they really fall apart when you need some extra weight on your sound.

A more detailed description of what i want is a set of pickups that get me a balanced tone and nice output without going over the top, in this way i can get an equal perfomance on most music styles...

For this we need to take in consideration the actual tone of the guitar... it is a warm sounding guitar but not as warm like a les paul... it is made from Mahogany with a maple top, maple/walnut neck and a rosewood fingerboard.

So... is there anything similar to the Air Classics but with a higher output and a more balanced tone ?
^Breeds. They're pretty much amazing to put up that 80's overdriven tone without going overboard on the gain department.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.