Don't see this amp mentioned much on here, and didn't find a lot through search. Been looking at this amp online, i read a claim that the circuitry is identical to a jcm 800 minus one part that is a marshall patent.

Listened to some clips on utube, sounds pretty decent. Any real world experience? Its like 400 bucks new, yet its not available on guitarcenter or musiciansfriend oddly enough...
Guitars
Amps
it's an alright amp but it really really needs to be cranked the eff out.

you can grab them for 200 new.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
What music do you want to use it for?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
They should be more like $150 - $200 for a newish one (head only) on eBay.

I think they are a good amp for the money. No real cleans to speak of which is understandable. For Rock and Thrash metal tho they are good low cost choice if you can find one. And yes there are some mods out there that can make it really shine.

They were blowing them out at $199 for a while there last year and they were a big hit. Not discussed much any more to your point.

PS: You have a Nitro and a 6505, so what would this be used for again?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
They should be more like $150 - $200 for a newish one (head only) on eBay.

I think they are a good amp for the money. No real cleans to speak of which is understandable. For Rock and Thrash metal tho they are good low cost choice if you can find one. And yes there are some mods out there that can make it really shine.

They were blowing them out at $199 for a while there last year and they were a big hit. Not discussed much any more to your point.

PS: You have a Nitro and a 6505, so what would this be used for again?

thrashthrashthrash
Because its a Peavey thats why.
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
I have been looking for the traditional marshall tone on the cheap cheap. I've looked at the egnater, jet city, etc. The peavey caught my eye when i read someone claiming it was the 800 circuit with one change.

To me the nitro feels like a brit/usa hybrid. Plus i've been thinking about selling it.

edit: Also i'm not too concerned with the volume as i have a weber 100 and am thinking about ordering a 200.
Guitars
Amps
Last edited by Matt15f at Jul 26, 2010,
Quote by Matt15f
I have been looking for the traditional marshall tone on the cheap cheap. I've looked at the egnater, jet city, etc. The peavey caught my eye when i read someone claiming it was the 800 circuit with one change.

To me the nitro feels like a brit/usa hybrid. Plus i've been thinking about selling it.

You can't sell it, I just sent you a PM on the splawnboards welcoming you to the forum

You must have KT88s in it? I hear what you are saying though.

I think FJA has mods for the Windsor and there is an ultimate Windsor thread here somewhere. I thought it was a simple resistor change.
i would definitely stay away from the windsor, probably the absolute worst all tube amp i've every played. Literally could not get any good tones out of it when I played it. i thought it might just be the one i played, then i went to a music store and tried another an decided that the windsor is absolute garbage. literally anything else would be better. i'd rather have a solid state peavey transtube amp than a windsor.
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 26, 2010,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
You can't sell it, I just sent you a PM on the splawnboards welcoming you to the forum

You must have KT88s in it? I hear what you are saying though.

I think FJA has mods for the Windsor and there is an ultimate Windsor thread here somewhere. I thought it was a simple resistor change.

haha cool. Yea it has KT88's. I really like the nitro but to be honest, for what i bought it for, the 6505 does better (modern metal stuffish). I've been having this mental debate about selling it, its my first custom build amp so im attached emo.

I also have an issue about being fiscally responsible about amps, like i sold my mesa when i ordered my 6505, etc. Sold the axe-fx to finance the splawn.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by handbanana
i would definitely stay away from the windsor, probably the absolute worst all tube amp i've every played. Literally could not get any good tones out of it when I played it. i thought it might just be the one i played, then i went to a music store and tried another an decided that the windsor is absolute garbage. literally anything else would be better. i'd rather have a solid state amp than a windsor.

Matt - disregard this post
Quote by Matt15f

edit: Also i'm not too concerned with the volume as i have a weber 100 and am thinking about ordering a 200.

dude are you trying to get power tube distortion? I'm really confused about your attenuator use.

if you sell the nitro you could just grab a jcm800 2203.
Quote by AcousticMirror
dude are you trying to get power tube distortion? I'm really confused about your attenuator use.

if you sell the nitro you could just grab a jcm800 2203.

both the nitro and 6505 sound better when attenuated so the master is around 9 o clockish or higher versus un-attenuated so the master is barely above inaudible.

Yea i could order the real deal if i sell the nitro, but i was hoping i could pick up one of these clones for cheap you know.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Matt - disregard this post

+1

While the Windsor isn't everybody's cup of tea so to speak...it's a great amp for what they went for new right before they were discontinued...and what you can pick a used one up for now. It does JCM tones very well. Like min said...you've got to have that master volume up there...those amps scream though. I miss mine I will be getting another one in the future and modding it
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jul 26, 2010,
If you are having trouble getting the nitro to compete with the 6505 with modern metal you're trying something wrong. If its for rhythm playing its a little understandable but for lead playing for modernz the Nitro drowns it out easily
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
it depends bananaboy, on what hes going after.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Matt15f
both the nitro and 6505 sound better when attenuated so the master is around 9 o clockish or higher versus un-attenuated so the master is barely above inaudible.

Yea i could order the real deal if i sell the nitro, but i was hoping i could pick up one of these clones for cheap you know.

Where are you running the gain on the nitro? Just wondering because I think maybe you're looking at the wrong style of amp. Hmm 9'o-clock ish? What's your practice room situation like? 9:00 is too loud without attenuation?

If it's 9 then I'm wrong and it seems that it's not power tube distortion you're after. KT88s don't really break up ever it doesn't matter if you attenuated it for 300 watts, but 9 is just a small flick of the dial ya? that's too loud for you without the mass?
Quote by handbanana
i'm just saying, compared to the 6505 the windsor is going to sound terrible

ORLY? For a traditional Marshall tone, a clone of a traditional Marshall is going to sound worse than an all out chuggachuggachugga amp?

Matt, I actually really nearly bought the Windsor, and for a Marshall tone on the cheap it sounds fantastic. Only reason I didn't buy is because I fell in love with Orange (and the Windsor is one heavy mofo )
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by handbanana
i'm just saying, compared to the 6505 the windsor is going to sound terrible
With some mods they are great amps, even without mods it sounds usable. You can't even really compare the Windsor to the 5150, they are completely different amps, the Windsor is made for a drier, more rock/trash sound, while the 6505 is a very very saturated, high gain tone.

YOU MUST HAS BOTH!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by SimplyBen
ORLY? For a traditional Marshall tone, a clone of a traditional Marshall is going to sound worse than an all out chuggachuggachugga amp?

Matt, I actually really nearly bought the Windsor, and for a Marshall tone on the cheap it sounds fantastic. Only reason I didn't buy is because I fell in love with Orange (and the Windsor is one heavy mofo )

hey i meant to ask you in your thread but i'll do it here. does your matamp have as much gain as your rv?
Quote by AcousticMirror
hey i meant to ask you in your thread but i'll do it here. does your matamp have as much gain as your rv?

Nope, but I never ran the RV with the gain on 10 so it's working great for me.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by AcousticMirror
Where are you running the gain on the nitro? Just wondering because I think maybe you're looking at the wrong style of amp. Hmm 9'o-clock ish? What's your practice room situation like? 9:00 is too loud without attenuation?

If it's 9 then I'm wrong and it seems that it's not power tube distortion you're after. KT88s don't really break up ever it doesn't matter if you attenuated it for 300 watts, but 9 is just a small flick of the dial ya? that's too loud for you without the mass?

I had thwgain on the nitro around noon to 2. Yes 9 master unattenuated is too loud in my house, I don't have any packing on the walls in my office or anything like that. The nitro is worse than the 6505 there, its so loud Its ridiculous.
Guitars
Amps
ya. : (. sucks. that is a bad situation to be in when 9:00 is too loud.