I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but a few months ago, I cut my left index finger with a linoleum knife in art class. The area below the scar up to my finger tip joint is a little numb so I'm guessing there was nerve damage. I've been told that it's best if I lay off playing guitar to let it heal, but I've been doing it anyways and it kinda hurts to bend strings. And then recently I hurt the far left side of my hand by hitting this punching bag I got a few weeks ago. My question is, how long is it going to take to heal and is there anything I can do to help it?
I'm guessing you didn't come to the right place for an answer on how much time it will take, since this isn't a hospital, lol. But erm, the best I guess you can do to help it just stop playing guitar like you've been told, and obviously, try not to punch stuff with that hand. ^^

The more rest it can get, the faster and better it will get.
Quote by jpcl
I'm guessing you didn't come to the right place for an answer on how much time it will take, since this isn't a hospital, lol. But erm, the best I guess you can do to help it just stop playing guitar like you've been told, and obviously, try not to punch stuff with that hand. ^^

The more rest it can get, the faster and better it will get.

this. also, fap with other hand.
Are you retarded?

*cuts finger*

*plays guitar*

*punches punching bag*

...My finger won't heal.

Really? I wonder why that could be?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Are you retarded?

*cuts finger*

*plays guitar*

*punches punching bag*

...My finger won't heal.

Really? I wonder why that could be?

No! Don't tell us! I like surprise endings!
nerve damage doesnt heal, ever. you just get used to it

i suggest you cut the tip right off and make some silicon/plastic thimbles for yourself like a certain metal legend...
Tony Iommi doesn't deserve to be called "a certain metal legend". =(
I would suggest going to a doctor in this case. About 2 years ago I cut my hand and did some tendon damage. My hand was in a stint for 3 weeks- I couldn't play guitar or do anything really. But it was necessary for it to heal and not cause any further damage. I would definitely have it checked out- you could be damaging it more and I'm sure you wouldn't want to jeopardize your guitar playing or anything else for that matter.
Quote by Rautio
"Cut you up with a linoleum knife"

"Do not explain the plot!
If you don't understand, then you should not be here.
Your money is now our money,
and we will spend it... on drugs!!!"

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
When i opened this thread i mis-read the title as "head injuries" and was expecting it to be a pun referring to an amp head that had been damaged somehow.

Now i read it, i just don't know what's going on
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I smashed four knuckles (left hand) in a bike accident 5 years ago & completely stopped playing as a consequence. But then, a few months ago I decide to give things a go again and despite being rusty as hell, my hand seemed to have completely healed and I've experienced no problems at all really. I'm now pretty much back to playing at the level I did before the accident..

I suppose it was all the rest I gave my hand that made it possible for it to heal as well as it has. I don't think five years is what it takes (lol), but you definately need to lay off for a few (4-5) months at least..
Last edited by GodOfEmptyness at Jul 29, 2010,
I would suggest that you use ice if it starts to swell. Also put a bandage on the cut, this helps to prevent your cut from being aggravated. I would also suggest some iodine to speed the healing and to prevent infections.

ron666
i haven`t even got ultimatedoctorssurgery.com book marked how did i end up in here

seriously this is not a place to seek medical advice `cos if you act upon it the site will be sued to the hilt
Quote by ibanezgod1973
i haven`t even got ultimatedoctorssurgery.com book marked how did i end up in here

seriously this is not a place to seek medical advice `cos if you act upon it the site will be sued to the hilt

This made me lol so hard.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Anyways, your example is correct. Power chords are just the root and the 5th. These are simple to play, because your fingers will keep the same shape for every chord, making it super simple to change to a new chord when writing a riff. You can use the 2 string or 3 string form. I just wanted to clarify that both are still power chords, and both only use 2 notes.Anyways, your example is correct. Power chords are just the root and the 5th. These are simple to play, because your fingers will keep the same shape for every chord, making it super simple to change to a new chord when writing a riff. You can use the 2 string or 3 string form. I just wanted to clarify that both are still power chords, and both only use 2 notes.
Quote by ibanezgod1973

No they won't.

I would imagine they have a disclaimer somewhere that said "we cannot be held responsible for content posted by our users" or at least they should. You take advice at your own risk on here, it's not UG's fault if someone suggests something stupid and you do it and suffer the consequences.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp