I need to know what i should move on to, learning and practice wise. I can pretty much do open chords and barre chords comfortably, ive memorized 5 positions of the minor pentationic scale, and am decent at alternate picking. I am looking into sweep picking, arpeggios, fingertapping, but besides that i have a really unorganized practice routine which makes me feel like im not getting any benefit from practicing. any tips?
Practice more, learn the major scale and how to harmonize it, then learn about relative minors etc, I'm sure you'll be able to figure something out.
Learn some songs that apply your knowledge. Also start learning the major and minor scales. They shouldn't be too hard if you already know the penatonic scale across the fretboard.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Learn some songs that apply your knowledge. Also start learning the major and minor scales. They shouldn't be too hard if you already know the penatonic scale across the fretboard.

Good advice.
Thanks for the advice guys! I'm guessing i should learn some small licks on the pentatonic scale , along with major scale positions. How much should i practice a day? I only started about two months ago, so I'm not really sure. whats considered too much and too little practice?
Quote by someguitarnoob
I need to know what i should move on to, learning and practice wise. I can pretty much do open chords and barre chords comfortably, ive memorized 5 positions of the minor pentationic scale, and am decent at alternate picking. I am looking into sweep picking, arpeggios, fingertapping, but besides that i have a really unorganized practice routine which makes me feel like im not getting any benefit from practicing. any tips?

Do you have only a functional knowledge of the guitar or do you also understand how and why things work?

At some point you'll get tired of finger clicking and seek to know what's going on. But for now if you simply want to widdle, widdle, widdle, you can do that also, just do what you enjoy and when it becomes meaningful to you, consider learning music theory applied to the guitar.

Best,

Sean
Yes, i have looked at some guitar theory, and am on my way to memorizing all the notes on the fretboard. I have also tried to learn music notation but i cant seem to find any good lessons on it.
Quote by someguitarnoob
Yes, i have looked at some guitar theory, and am on my way to memorizing all the notes on the fretboard. I have also tried to learn music notation but i cant seem to find any good lessons on it.

Take a look at my profile and check the UG Contributions (lessons Ive written for UG users) and read the series "Throw the Boy Down The Well". I've been told by many that it was just what they needed to help their understanding of Music Notation.

Best,

Sean