hey everyone first post here at UG..

So I just bought a sexy Seagull Maritime from Guitar Center (won't be doing that ever again lol). Anyway, I found out right as I was about to say "I do" that the instrument I'd be buying is the one that they have out for every random person who walks in to play because most guitars they dont keep stocks of in the back or whatever.. Now the guy gave it to me for $50 off the sale price but he said it was because he found one on the internet for another store that was cheaper. i suppose that this could have bs and he just took the $50 off because I was visibly iffy about paying a new price for something that wasn't totally new.... even though he said he couldnt take any $ off for it being a floor model.

My question though is that because the pick guard is a bit scratched up from the previous playing would it be reasonable that I ask/demand that they replace it while its still in the store getting the action lowered, even though i got the guitar for $50 off? (Keep in mind though that the supposed reason i got the money off wasnt because it was a floor model....). I asked the guy who sold it and he was just like 'thats what happens, nothing we can do.', but i'd talk to the manager if i ask again.

OH also I've never owned a legit pricey full wood guitar, the one i've learned on is a cheap takamine "jasmine" thats mostly laminate. so if anyone has some care tips for me I'd really really appreciate it. The sales guy was way less than helpful and didn't give me any info about that sort of stuff
there's no such thing as a "floor model" in guitars. many buyers won't buy a guitar that they haven't gotten to try.

i wouldn't ask them to replace the pickguard - but then i also wouldn't let someone at guitar center lower my action, either. i'd take the guitar to a qualified luthier or tech, and i've never met one such person at any guitar center. btw, the chances of gc having a seagull pickguard in stock isn't very good.

if you want, guitar center can exchange your guitar for a brand new one in box. you'll probably have to wait a few days, and since wood is an organic material, the one you get will not sound exactly like the one you tried at gc.

imo you'd do best to simply be happy. you got a guitar that sounds and feels great to you. that's what it's all about.
Quote by patticake
i wouldn't ask them to replace the pickguard - but then i also wouldn't let someone at guitar center lower my action, either. i'd take the guitar to a qualified luthier or tech, and i've never met one such person at any guitar center. btw, the chances of gc having a seagull pickguard in stock isn't very good.

well damn now i'm worried lol... they offered to do it for free since i was buying the guitar there though.... guess i'll just see what happens
worst case scenario they'll get it a little too low or won't get it low enough.

my husband does my setups now, but i'd suggest finding a local luthier who really knows his/her stuff for the future. you can always start by finding those who are taylor or martin authorized.

Quote by FLnativeMVK
well damn now i'm worried lol... they offered to do it for free since i was buying the guitar there though.... guess i'll just see what happens
Regarding the scratches on the pickguard, take a close look and see if there is a thin piece of film covering the pickguard that you can gently pry up at the corner and peel off.
good point! i once left the film on my pickguard for 2 months 'cause i didn't see it *LOL*

Quote by Icemagic
Regarding the scratches on the pickguard, take a close look and see if there is a thin piece of film covering the pickguard that you can gently pry up at the corner and peel off.
Quote by Icemagic

yeah ill do that whenever i get the guitar, that thought occurred to me yesterday. I was told they'd do the action work yesterday but the luthier called in sick or something (they didnt bother calling, i did like 20 mins before closing time). And when i called today the guy said he wasnt sure if he'd be able to get to it today
i just want my guitarrrrrrr
Last edited by FLnativeMVK at Jul 29, 2010,