SO...
I've been reading about tonewoods, and I'm going to replace my pupies in my guitar, and I'm reading things from this article: http://www.jemsite.com/jem/wood.htm

And for Basswood, it says that it has good solo performance, but less greater outer ranged frequencies, And I was thinking of getting a Crunch Lab, D-Sonic or D-Activator. Now I look at the Crunch Lab and the tone guide says:
Treble:4.5
Middle:5.5
Bass:6
And that doesn't seem to give more outer frequencies, same with the D-Sonic w/
Treble:5.5
Middle:6.5
Bass:6.5
And D-Activator w/
Treble:6.5
Middle:6
Bass:6

But then, oh look! Steve's Special!
Treble:6.5
Middle:4.5
Bass:7.5

And according to the article it says, Basswood has a particularly weaker low end. With less mid emphasis, and a good treble emphasis, that 'seems' like a good pup, What should I do?
Those numbers that Dimarzio give are a very rough guide. What sort of tone do you want?
Well, For a bridge pup, right now I'm leaning towards a well defined, full toned kinda rhythm and heavier gained solo, anything kinda floating from zep to Megadeth, and I have put SD Triple Shot mounting rings into play for series, paralell, and coil split.

For neck, I kinda decided on the liquifire already, because it's just like and air norton, but more clarity and brightness on higher gain settings, and a good clean sound.

Which is why I also lean on the breeds, because they seem like more rock pickups instead of squealing evo pickups. And I'm not very good at anything solo oriented, but I'd already have a liquifire for that.

EDIT: I know the liquifire is for soloing, mainly VERY high gain soloing, so a bridge pup that can also handle high gain and solo's is what I'm trying to say.
Last edited by LolCatGuitar at Jul 26, 2010,
I'm very interested in this..

For my little RG, i've decided a liquifire would go good in the neck. I'm a petrucci fanboy, but idk if a d-sonic would match my style for my bridge pickup.

TS: Ever thought of BKPs?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Here's my thought on it...

1. You don't need to "even out" the frequencies of your guitar's wood with the pickups. You can if you want, but it's not necessary.

2. Basswood has more focus on mids. That gives your guitar a lot of presence and *is* good for soloing. Mahogany is, I guess, better for rhythm... just the way its frequencies are. However, that's *just* something to point people in the right direction. Basswood sounds fine for rhythm and mahogany sounds fine for lead too.

3. I don't think your gonna want a "scooped" pickup like the Steve's Special for rhythm. It's made so that it doesn't distort as easily. Just sayin'

4. I recommend the D Sonic or Crunch Lab. They'd both go well with the Liquifire. I have a D Sonic in my mahogany guitar and it kicks ass. I'd bet it'd kick even more ass in a basswood guitar...

Just a couple thoughts...
Guitars:
Ibanez JS1200
PRS SE EG S/S/H
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535q
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
Morley Little Alligator
Boss DD-6
Amp:
Carvin V3m
Carvin 212 cab
B...K...P?

Yeah i kinda knew that would happen, now I think, "Oh! Petrucci used A Air Norton And D-Sonic in Basswood guitars BEFORE the Crunch Lab and Liquifire, and there used in his mahogany guitars now!" But it still wonder what he used in the early days, before the EB's and D-Sonic as a Bridge pup....

Any explaining for what BKP is would be nice.

EDIT: Yes, but I don't want to screw up, because I want to get my pickup combination as good sounding at what is does and versatile as possible. Say then if I found out I made my Pups to bright, I'd have the urge to go out and replace the pots from 500k (if they were 500k) to 250k, because as far as I know that'd even out the sound, because I don't want it to be so bright it's thin, or So warm or so that it's muddy. And I'm trying just to make the best choice possible. So it's just a good Rhythm orientated sound from most things from Classic Rock to Heavy Metal.
Actually, I wanna say he used a Tone Zone in the bridge of his basswood guitars...

BKP is short for Bare Knuckle Pickups.
Guitars:
Ibanez JS1200
PRS SE EG S/S/H
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535q
Morley Little Alligator
Boss DD-6
Amp:
Carvin V3m
Carvin 212 cab
Oh, so he used a TZ from Images and Words to Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence then a D-Sonic from Train of Thought to Systematic Chaos, now a Crunch Lab?
But he used a Air Norton until now...
This is why I don't know what to choose, because I'm limited to a couple good choices when there should be one I know that fits me.

EDIT: And I don't think GC has BKP, and I don't know where to get them, or what there reputation is, and how much there priced. And finding them in the short time I'm down in Lynwood (because I live in Canada and I'm driving down there) would be quite a challenge.

EDIT 2:
"Basswood is not stiff enough for a tight, well-defined low end, especially with a shorter scale. Low notes will have good harmonics, and a good fundamental, but a midrangey tone overall."
Quoted from the link I originally posted, which impacts the tight lows I would like to have, midrangey is good, no problem with that, because it would give a good solo tone I guess.
I guess that sounds about right...

Think of it this way, you can't screw up too badly with whatever you pick. I'd say flip a coin between the D Sonic and Crunch Lab...
Guitars:
Ibanez JS1200
PRS SE EG S/S/H
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535q
Morley Little Alligator
Boss DD-6
Amp:
Carvin V3m
Carvin 212 cab
http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/

There are 3 canadian dealers, Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver.

One's in Chicago for me. I've only heard great things about their pups.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Quote by LolCatGuitar
Oh, so he used a TZ from Images and Words to Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence then a D-Sonic from Train of Thought to Systematic Chaos, now a Crunch Lab?
But he used a Air Norton until now...

He used a ToneZone/Humbucker From Hell up until 1995, then he moved to the Steves Special/Air Norton until he went to EB. He had custom wound pickups (just tweaked Steves Special/Air Norton) in his MusicMan guitars until around 2003 when he started using the D-Sonic in the bridge, with the custom wound AN in the neck. He used those until 2009 when the CL/LF came out.
Hmmmm, I feel more of an attraction to the D-Sonic, but the Crunch Lab seems like a better pickup, more output, more crunch and suitable to JP's playing style, alternate picking and a little bit of sweeping, which I like to do and supposedly the D-Sonic isn't too good on the sweep department. I'm not too sure about that though.
Well, I guess it would be a good idea to get the Crunch Lab and Liquifire, then get the triple shot mounting rings, and install the pickup both ways to see how it sounds and what I like better.
D-sonic is more agressive. Crunchlab is slightly warmer.
Just go to google and type D-sonic vs Crunchlab, u'll see many discussions on other forums.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Hmmm, so far, as I read MOST people like the Crunch Lab more than the D-Sonic, as it's more ballsy and just sweet sounding for me. I just compared multiple DT songs between 2003 and 2007, to Black Clouds and Silver Linings and the rhythms in the older songs compared to the new ones were alot more harsh, in a good way, but the CL had more balls so it sounded bigger and better. Even though I do dig the harsh sound associated with the D-Sonic....
This is just me, but I don't like the way the pick-attack is so pronounced with the CL... For that I would prefer the DS over that.
Guitars:
Ibanez JS1200
PRS SE EG S/S/H
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535q
Morley Little Alligator
Boss DD-6
Amp:
Carvin V3m
Carvin 212 cab
^^ i think he means you can hear the pick hitting the string, like when you alternate picking you can hear the 'attack' of the pick on the strings, more with the CL then the D-Sonic
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
I love the Tone Zone in basswood guitars. It's very articulate, has good response through the EQ ranges. It's clear but can be harsh for some people. Bass response is also tight. It's very high output, so if you want something more mellow (Air Norton and Crunchlab will be) it's not going to work for you. Harmonic response is pretty good, though not as crisp and clear as the Evolution in the bridge of the same guitar. I've used it in both a Charvel CX391 and ESP M100FM (one with basswood).
Quote by LolCatGuitar
Hmmm, so far, as I read MOST people like the Crunch Lab more than the D-Sonic, as it's more ballsy and just sweet sounding for me. I just compared multiple DT songs between 2003 and 2007, to Black Clouds and Silver Linings and the rhythms in the older songs compared to the new ones were alot more harsh, in a good way, but the CL had more balls so it sounded bigger and better. Even though I do dig the harsh sound associated with the D-Sonic....

I dont think its really fair to compare the pickups on studio albums, they're all produced differently. If you buy it new you can exchange it if you want, Dimarzio has an exchange policy on all new pickups, if you dont like them. You could buy both and compare them, then pick whichever you like most and exchange the other for the neck pickup you wanted
Quote by fbeckinsale
^^ i think he means you can hear the pick hitting the string, like when you alternate picking you can hear the 'attack' of the pick on the strings, more with the CL then the D-Sonic

Yep, this. It's not that I dislike that sound, it's just a little too pronounced... but like I said, that's just me.
Guitars:
Ibanez JS1200
PRS SE EG S/S/H
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535q
Morley Little Alligator
Boss DD-6
Amp:
Carvin V3m
Carvin 212 cab
Hmm, I kinda like to be able to hear the attack on the strings, then in some cases I don't, finda confusing to explain... And I know I'm focused on the CL and DS, but it seems like people are persuading me to the Tone Zone, would it be worth checking into that? Because it says:
The Tone Zone has the right stuff to wake up your amp. Its ballsy, aggressive tone has plenty of drive in all the right frequencies, abundant gain to push preamps and power amps, and sensitivity to pick attack that gets the most out of any style from Metal to Blues.

It seems like what I want, I don't know this is a very hard choice...

About the exchange, I live above the boarder, and the closest one is in Lynnwood, Washington, so its about 250k there, then 250k back, and I'm only taking a couple days there, so I'd have to go and Bring my guitar, and a soldering iron, all the tools, then get both pickups, then install it one way, go back to GC, try it on an amp, then go back to the place I'm staying at, switch the pup around, go back, try it, then unsolder it, solder other puppie, then try that at GC, go back, reverse it, try it out, then decide what I like, and maybe they won't have the Liquifire at the store, then I'll be stuck with two bridge pups, and I'd prolly wire the D-sonic in the neck and CL in the bridge.

That's why I'd like to know what I want before I buy it.
The one good thing about DiMarzio is if you buy it from an authorized dealer and don't like it, you can always exchange. My post isn't so much recommendation as it is my evaluation of it's tonal characteristics in basswood than it being "better" than say the Air Norton or some of their others.
I dont think the Tone Zone is really what you're looking for. Its not that hot and it has a really middy sound. If you really arent sure, just get the Crunch Lab IMO. There's no way to compare them without trying both yourself, and they are pretty similar anyway.
Hmm, I guess I could go with the crunch lab, sense it seems to be the most ballsy, new tone and power compared to the other ones.

And I know this is a quite strange question for me to ask, but what about a PAF pro or Fred in the neck?
Havent tried the FRED, but I dont like PAF Pro's in the neck. They're too hot IMO, they dont sound smooth with higher gain, just muddy.
Hm. What if I put a Evo in the neck? Or a D-Sonic? (I'm not serious about the D-Sonic, I just want to see if you COULD, I would have one awesome setup.) I saw some guy here with a X2N and a Super Distortion, that would be wicked.
Sorry for double posting, but what about a megadrive? That's like a Steve's special, but just like a D-Sonic? I don't know if that would work because I've already been told to turn away from Steve's special, even though people say that's basically a D-Sonic for standard tuning.
But primarily for rhythm, what would be better? A D Sonic with it's solid bar to the neck, bridge, or A CL with the solid bar towards the neck or the bridge?
The Megadrive looks like a D-Sonic, but they sound nothing alike really. It is similar to the Steve's Special. No-one can really tell you which is better, and I dont know who said a SS is basically a D-Sonic for standard tuning, they sound a fair bit different. There's not a huge difference between the Crunch Lab and D-Sonic, slight tweaks but they're quite similar. Its up to you to decide which you like better, but since you can only get one, it really wont matter which you get since you wont be comparing them and they're very similar.
Yeah, I just saw the first review on harmony central for the pickup and it say the ultimate rhythm pickup. Which Is good, so the megadrive has almost the same design (Tone and not really output wise) as the SS, so it should be like a D sonic, with the same type of look, (so kinda similar sound) and the mid range scoop and clarity of the Steve's Special. Because I'm into that good ol Ibanez DT sound like Metropolis PT.2, which he used a Steve's Special, ah well... If I had to choose right now over pickups, It would be the D-Sonic, Then Crunch Lab, Megadrive then SS.
I'll just get a D-Sonic for now, I might get a Crunch Lab, But I would certainly get and try out a SS or megadrive, but STILL.

What happens if I want a evo for the neck? Could that be a good Neck instead of the liquifire? Vai and Petrucci in one sound?
I haven't tried an Evo neck so I cant really comment, but I've gotten pretty good Vai sound from a Liquifire.
Oh, and the main reason Metropoils Pt.2 sounds so awesome is JP used a Mark IIC+ for the whole thing. Pickups wont make that much difference.