Page 1 of 2
Just got an email press release saying that Billy Hydes and Allans are merging. For the benefit of non-Australians, these are basically the two largest chains of music stores in the country. Scratch that, I think they are the ONLY chains of music stores (with the rest being small independents).

Gear in Australia is already overpriced. Retailers used to be able to claim the added cost was due to freight and a weak Australian dollar. But with the dollar almost on par with US, and most gear being shipped directly from Asia (which is closer to Australia than the US), it's pretty hard to justify markups of 30%-40% more than a US retailer.

In all fairness, I suspect it is importers (ie, middle men) that are mostly responsible for the price gouging. And they get away with it because they often have exclusive rights to import particular brands. At least a consumer could try and squeeze the price by playing retailers against each other. But now, with one single retailer owning maybe 70%-80% of the market, the gouging is gonna occur at both the import AND retail level.

We're ****ed.
time to make your own guitars
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Take up the didgeridoo.

I know a bunch of hip[pes here in the states that make didgeridoos those things are awesome.

But TS about your delima, that ****in sucks..nad I can't see any reason why its like that either. It makes no sense you should just break in a place and steal shit.

I cant afford equipment either and I have been working on a plan to break into a guitar center..I already have an inside man

lmao...

but seriously good luck man...maybe a merger would mean they can decrease prices a little due to increase profit.

You could also try working at one to get a discount.
we have derringers in adelaide and they're the bomb diggity. There's also bmusic running an online store out of adelaide too and those guys are awesome, I've dealt with them a few times.

EDIT: Inception...
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Jul 26, 2010,
The more n more I hear news about Australia, the more shitty it sounds to live there.

Hows that whole 'firewall' or whatever you wanna call it your gov't was trying to put up over the internet working?

I remember when they first programmed it, some teen hacked and took it down in under an hour after your gov't spent millions on it and countless hours

My best advice? Ride in the pouch of a kangaroo. Problem solved.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Move to a better country. Like the United States.
Check out my band Disturbed
Goddamit.

Good thing I go regularly go to an independent store that actually has good shit.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
in canberra, we dont have allans or billy hyde.... so, that wont affect me.

good luck big city people......
Is bad ass one or two words?
Quote by genghisgandhi
Take up the didgeridoo.

Quote by darkcheef
Form a complaint to your local Kangaroo

Quote by vicarious46
My best advice? Ride in the pouch of a kangaroo. Problem solved.

None of you are funny.
Quote by StewieSwan
Move to a better country. Like the United States.

But you are. You're hilarious.
Quote by StewieSwan
Move to a better country. Like New Zealand.

Fix'd

>_>

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Last edited by JMcG92 at Jul 26, 2010,
I think it's about time to take it up with your local Marsupial.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by genghisgandhi
Take up the didgeridoo.

I second this - you should definitely take it up the didgeridoo.
Quote by genghisgandhi
As a didgeridoo player, I can say that learning the didge was 20 times more fun to learn than the guitar.
I thought you were trying to be funny.
Quote by Butt Rayge
I thought you were trying to be funny.

Doesn't matter if he was or not it still was
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
My local koala will certainly be hearing about this!

To be honest though, I just got the email saying they were merging. I didn't really think about the whole competitive pricing side of it until now. Just buy stuff from local guitar shops (if you can) or online. xD Last time I went into my local guitar shop I grabbed a punch of picks, put on the counter and the guy just said take 'em. (I've bought a handful of guitars and an amp there before so I'm reasonably recognisable).
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by Diamond Dave
we have derringers in adelaide and they're the bomb diggity. There's also bmusic running an online store out of adelaide too and those guys are awesome, I've dealt with them a few times.

EDIT: Inception...

This.
Those evil koalas are ate it again:

Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
We were already fucked due to the incredible price difference between gear here and the US. Guess this makes it official.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by tzb
Just got an email press release saying that Billy Hydes and Allans are merging. For the benefit of non-Australians, these are basically the two largest chains of music stores in the country. Scratch that, I think they are the ONLY chains of music stores (with the rest being small independents).

Gear in Australia is already overpriced. Retailers used to be able to claim the added cost was due to freight and a weak Australian dollar. But with the dollar almost on par with US, and most gear being shipped directly from Asia (which is closer to Australia than the US), it's pretty hard to justify markups of 30%-40% more than a US retailer.

In all fairness, I suspect it is importers (ie, middle men) that are mostly responsible for the price gouging. And they get away with it because they often have exclusive rights to import particular brands. At least a consumer could try and squeeze the price by playing retailers against each other. But now, with one single retailer owning maybe 70%-80% of the market, the gouging is gonna occur at both the import AND retail level.

We're ****ed.

Buy direct from overseas retailers.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
yeah, the shitty end of capitalism...we deserve it when it comes.

I did giggle a bit when I got the email but then I realised it's only a music shop therefore has no real impact on my life being a bedroom rawker.

I try to buy from independents and shiz but god at BH and Allans they have so much variety...
yo.

I BELIEVE
Buy online. I know, everyone sees this as kind of dodgy, except for when you realise that it's exactly what the chains do. And then they mark it up again by unconscionable amounts. My guitar teacher works at Allans, and he says that most stuff is marked up by AT LEAST 40% which is utterly ridiculous. Not to mention most of the gigs here are pay-to-play, our busking laws are a little bitchy and the music scene is dying as a result of it all.

Australia just isn't a good place to live. At all. Our best feature must be our international PR team, because people still come here for some reason =/
...In my opinion.
The only reason I go to Billy Hydes is to jam with friends on the guitars. That, and my local Billy Hydes is run by friends of friends, so they get us some pretty wicked discounts there.

EDIT: ^ I agree with that dude. Except I still maintain the stance that believes Australian toilets are far superior to American toilets.
Last edited by denfilade at Jul 27, 2010,
I use a local independent store which is awesome. No chains of either of those stores are anywhere nearby. A bad thing happened and it doesn't effect me. Hahahahahaha.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jul 27, 2010,
Quote by Fiddly Diddly69
Screw this, I wanna move to canada.

This. I have 50+ friends who moved to Canada, and apparently they now live in a predominately Australian place. To Canada!

Also, Arties and Ellaways ftw.
...In my opinion.
It sucks for the independent stores.

One possibility is that they will lower prices on gear due to greater buying power. That would mean that it'd be dearer buying from the indie stores in comparison, potentially sealing their demise and putting you in the position of "do I buy indie or do I save some money". It's almost like Fairtrade VS supermarkets' own.
I love Allans and Billy Hydes, purely because theres just a huge range of guitars and amps that are fun to try, but my local store (Mall Music), just became a dedicated musical instrument store, apparently because it was too hard selling CD's and DVD's, so they got a much bigger range of guitars and amps.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Well that's us ****ed
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone