My band is currently in the studio recording a demo. I'm the lead singer but also contribute guitar and drum parts. After tracking vocals on one of our songs, out producer and I noticed that one song sounded kind of funky...like the parts were off. We isolated the vocals and the guitar and the vocal notes are correct and sound great on their own but when put over guitar it sounds a bit off.

I went over the guitar part our lead guitarist wrote and noticed a few things. In the verse he was using strange chords that were like this:

---3---
---3---
---5---

and gave it a dissident sound when the song is melodic...and not dissident in the least bit. I changed the chords around to a simple power chord in the progression of the key of the song but while going through the rest of the song I noticed that our guitarist plays a B-natural during the chorus but the rest of the song (including the vocal melody) plays a B-flat. The vocal melody has a B-flat during the chorus while the guitar is playing a B-natural. This is the first time we've really been able to hear each part (the sound our practice space is pretty bouncy and we're lucky if we can hear ourselves and our guitarist isn't around that much). My question is if it is bad or incorrect to have the guitar playing notes in a different key while the vocal notes are still in the other key. It doesn't sound bad but it sounds a bit weird.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
idk, if it fits the song with no problems, it shouldn't be a problem.

i would change it if i were listening to the track and all the sudden i'm all "ew, wtf?"

Some context would help, maybe an audio sample of this?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
if it works go with it. if it doesn't, scrap it. there's no proper way to do music. its art and therefore subjective, thus there is no right or wrong music.
Last edited by EFGuitar at Jul 26, 2010,
Quote by DakoRob
idk, if it fits the song with no problems, it shouldn't be a problem.

i would change it if i were listening to the track and all the sudden i'm all "ew, wtf?"

Some context would help, maybe an audio sample of this?

Thanks for the quick reply.

It's still on the machine at this point. The verse makes you go, "Somethings wrong here, right?" but the chorus not so much.

To be more specific the chorus has a chord that's like this:

D |9
A |7
D |7

The 9 on the high D string is a B-natural and the chord sounds kinda cool/funky but with vocals it doesn't make sense.

Basically he went from playing B-flat during every other part of the song but just for the chorus plays a B-natural all the time.
Quote by ComeUndone
out producer and I noticed that one song sounded kind of funky...like the parts were off. .

You answered your own question already. If you noticed this, then so will your listeners.

The rest of the info is irrelevant. Oh sure, it might explain *why* it doesn't work, but the fact is.... it sounded like the parts were off.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.