after a year and a few months?

EDIT:
i can play most of the nirvana songs a few alice in chains songs, blow up the outside world by soundgarden, some beatles songs, and stuff like that.. and a bunch of riffs from songs that i like but can not play fully.
Last edited by doongle at Jul 26, 2010,
i've only been playing for ~8 months, so i cant really answer
Gear:

LTD MH-50
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by LiquidFear
i've only been playing for ~8 months, so i cant really answer

blackbird. ^_^
~Carl
Actually I was really good
for how long I was playin I do more than most that have been playin for twice as long
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
i know a guy whos been playing 5 years and cant play the intro to crazy train
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
i know a guy whos been playing 5 years and cant play the intro to crazy train

LOLOL
Actually I was really good
for how long I was playin I do more than most that have been playin for twice as long

so what songs could u have played cleanly?
Your real skill level can't always be measured in the songs you are able to cover.

How well do you understand theory?
Which techniques, chords, scales etc. do you master?
Can you compose songs?

These are the question you need to ask to figure out how "good" you really are. It's also the basic building blocks which will at some points make you a really good guitar player.

That is just my five cents.
How good I/you/Jeff Beck could play after that time? Is it really important? Making a value based on time like that gives little information. Don't fool yourself! Don't give in to judging yourself based on that. People want comparison instead of satisfaction; it leads nowhere.

Main thing's how good YOU think you sound when you pick it up and crank it up. It's really hard to put any objective criteria because we all have a taste of our own what's good.

Think of the whole "Skill" matter like this: no matter how good you're at writing death metal riffs and playing them out, there are still people who think what you play is full of shit. No matter how good you can make interesting pop songs, there are still headbangers who'll hate your playing. And if you're Herman Li, there are people who say what you play is twiddly-diddly nonsense. Have a degree in musical theory? Some will say you've lost your musical personality and your rock image (if you ever had one).

Only YOU can judge for yourself because it's you extending your personality on the strings and seeing what happens. Don't think of the time and comparing to others. Rather think whether you're doing the right thing: a favor for yourself in a musical kinda way. That's what you want, right? To feel good with yourself.

>.>
The time you waste learning a cover all the way through is a lot of time you could have been writing your own song bro....everyone has there songs they want to learn I understand that...my band plays some covers but even after 16 years of playing I don't know all the solos note for note I just do my own thing ...no one wants to hear you play (insert song here) like (insert guitarist here) they wanna here you play it like you....
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Ive been playing for a year and a few months and i can sweep,alt pick, and tap.

so i have great technique in my opinion(for the amount of time ive been playing)

i also write some pretty cool songs(i think everything out carefully)

i don't have the patience to learn an entire song

i learn half of the song and quit, even if its super easy
post-punksymphonicblackeneddeathcore
Last edited by Jato Unit x666x at Jul 27, 2010,
You cant compare yourself to others. You should compare yourself to yourself a few months ago.

If you notice your skills are better, good. If not, move to the armonica.

Quote by a_hub10
I keep my Schecter in dropped D all the time, and i didn't buy an attachment of any kind.

Quote by CraftyTrickster
You should just tell the seller: ¡Boludo!
first year i didnt take it seriously

its was in my second year (which more or less ender now...been playing two years) when i stared taking it really seriously

i go to lesosn and take theory lessons (which i know a lot of although i still cant sight read) and my playing has improved especially my funk and blues styles as well as my imrpvosational skill

having said that im not that great
Quote by Jato Unit x666x
i dont have the paintence to learn an entire song

^this applies to me to.
I learn a few riffs of a song but then it bugs me to continue it. I don't think I know any song by heart, just some twiddly parts of it.

I do some sweeping (I have mainly learnt the minor sweeps over 5 strings + the canon sweep at the moment), tapping and alt picking too. Don't forget the easier stuff like in-tune-bending, hammer-ons, pull-offs, pinch harmonics and so on. I have the technique. =)

...I just need speed... :/
it varies for everyone and depends on how much effort you put in and how well you understand the instrument.
I could shred Vai's face off after 2 years of playing. That is why he doesn't allow me to attend any of his shows.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
ill answer the original question..

ive been playing for 3 months, and ive learned 3rd planet by Modest mouse all the way through,modest mouse intros, and the intro to stairway, some nothing else matters, and lots of nirvana intros, and even the intro to gravity by john meyers... so thats where im sitting at

ps. oh and the first half of tears in heaven and needle and the damage done
I started a bit over five years ago and I still can't play shit. Straight up.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I could play the complete Dream Theater Racer X Paul Gilbert Jason Becker Yngwie Shawn Lane catalogues, and improv like a combo of Marty Friedman, Rory Gallagher/Joe Bonamassa, and Paul Gilbert. Only better.

Strange thing is, I can no longer do any of those things...
Quote by MrFlibble
I started a bit over five years ago and I still can't play shit. Straight up.

post-punksymphonicblackeneddeathcore
I was really dedicated, but I didn't consider myself good until I started learning theory so .

hootEDIT:

Quote by stratman7
I could play the complete Dream Theater Racer X Paul Gilbert Jason Becker Yngwie Shawn Lane catalogues, and improv like a combo of Marty Friedman, Rory Gallagher/Joe Bonamassa, and Paul Gilbert. Only better.

Strange thing is, I can no longer do any of those things...

Amnesia, man. Amnesia.
Slappa tha bass
Last edited by hootie37 at Jul 27, 2010,
It depends if you dedicate your whole life to learning stuff that's already written or take the time to figure out your own style. If you figure out your own style, then learning to play turns into writing. People ask me to play cover songs all the time and I tell them I don't know how, and they automatically assume that I am bad at playing. True story.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
However good I thought I was back then, when another year or two goes by I realize how crappy I was. This cycle has repeated itself a couple of times and will continue to repeat itself throughout my life probably.
I have been playing for 5 years now. I started in 8th grade. I was in this AC/DC cover band so after a year that's really all I was playing haha.

In 9th grade I discovered drop tuning and Lamb of God so that era begun.

Today I write my own songs and play few covers, but now it's all about Tony Danza and Meshuggah.
My gear:
Schecter Damien Elite 8
Epiphone SG Special

Marshall MG100HDFX half stack
Randall combo 10" speaker w/ reverb

no effect pedals

D'Addario strings
Dimarzio clip lok strap
Dunlop Tortex 0.88mm picks
Well, I've only played for about 2 years, and within the past 3 months I've probably made the most progress, I learned how to play Stairway FULLY, now I'm learning the live version, more complex Satch stuff (even though I'm terrible at solo's, scales, arpeggios, theory) I try to act like I know that stuff, when I can't make chords I can play the 1st solo in Chords of Life, because that's 1 Scale that's so easy that everyone knows, then I preformed Highway to Hell live for a school, that was easy, I leaned about boosts, and all that good solo stuff. I can't play Back in Black's solo, even though I can improvise around it, I can alternate pick decently, even though a mix of picking and legato is more my strength.

I am undecided on a main strength though, I can sweep pick, tap easily, eruption is a breeze,(well, the tapping.) I am leaning the solo for The Trooper (which I could play the main riff when I was in my first 7 months of playing)And because there is so much legato, I don't find it very hard, whereas the complex legato scales satch does are completely immaculate and I can never quite find myself doing such thing. Ah, as with most guitarists, I feel like I'm terrible, when most people just say, "Wow! You're awesome!" It feels like a huge overstatement, sarcasm, and a lie.

Thats all I have to say
my friend was able to play the serrana, however they spell it, by jason becker, after only 10 months of playing guitar.
so i guess it depends on what you want to learn, i have been playing guitar for around 5 years i cant sweep or shred, it might be because i never tried to learn but whatever
il sara7a il sara7a, i made you a goat but i eated it

we are not racist, we hate everyone equally
Ive been playing for a year and a few months, and I can shred.
Ive mastered the ionian, dorian, and pentatonic scales.
I can sweep, and use my pinky.
I can play Hendrix songs.
Ive been composing a lot of my own songs lately, half of which are still needing some work.
I can read musical notation.
I can play behind my head.
I had a feeling this thread would turn into bragging central....isn't it funny the only guys saying all they can do are the ones only playing for a little bit lol
But I guess if you would asked me this back in the day I woulda said the same thing
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Hmmmmm how good was I a year in to playing???? Pretty damn bad. Sounds like to me someone of your years playing you got some stuff down. Me I never took lessons I just picked it up as I went. Just keep at it and I am sure a few more years down the line you will rule some serious ass. I have been playing 6 years, I don't have as much ambition to learn songs and stuff as I did years past I just like farting around, but from what it sounds like you are developing some chops my friend. Keep on jamming
My Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 75w
- Epiphone SG G-310(Added Seymour Duncan's)
- Epiphone Black Beauty III
- Ibanez RG200
- Squier Telecaster Retrovibe
- John
Last edited by KingDime666 at Jul 28, 2010,
Quote by Jato Unit x666x
It's really not hard to understand.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
1 year and a few months I was playing classical gas, and the intro of inferno - symphony x. However, that was just about all I was playing at the time.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Last edited by Nimbus456 at Jul 28, 2010,
Well, I started playing in November 07, and in December '08 I played "Always With Me, Always With You" by Joe Satriani for the school Christmas concert fairly well (I have a video somewhere of it.)

I could also do the intro to Alaska by BTBAM around that point. So I guess that's a good indication.
I was shit and according to myself I still am shit.

which songs you can or cannot play only make up a part of it.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.