Hey guys, so i play in a punk/hardcore/pop punk band. I'm in the midst of trying to write a few songs for us. My problem lately is that everything I write ends up sounding depressing, while i'm trying to shoot for a happier mood in the songs. With that in mind though, we dont wanna write songs that sound extremely similar to other bands; we want to stand out.

Now I know someone is gonna say "listen to different music." I do that all the time, and i'm not really gettin anywhere. I would like to do something different by incorporating tidbits of other styles of music into our band, but I don't wanna be too extreme to the point where we can no longer call ourselves a punk band you know?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks,
-Drew
Well happier songs are usually faster ones, so get the drummer to play a fast beat and write a song around that.

Edit: Also consider other methods of writing songs - like starting with a vocal melody, then writing the guitar parts around that. Also consider writing in major if you largely write in minor, or write in minor if you usually write in major. Or try to emulate the sound of something different (like reggae or country), you'll get something different if you try these methods.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Instead of just listening to other music, learn some other music. If you want to write happier songs, go learn some happy songs that have the sound you want, then take what you've learned and apply it to your own songs.
Well, if you want to stand out, you'd better start experimenting.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
My advice, at least in terms of lyrics, is to under no circumstances force something. It always comes out awful and I've gotten rid of pages and whole songs just because I tried to hard. Let it flow. Don't think about being different. Just write and it will be. You can have an upbeat song with melancholy lyrics. I always do. =P Happy lyrics are frequently -not always-lame.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
resolve to the I chord for a happy song. write in major keys/modes. do you know any theory? hardcore punk and pop-punk bands usually dont know any theory, but post-hardcore bands usually do. i thin post-hardcore is what you're getting at, and the reason you didn't know that is probably because the definition of post-hardcore is getting all messed up lately. Escape the Fate, for example, is NOT post-hardcore, even if wikipedia says so, they're emo/screamo faggity scene music. try listening to At the Drive-in's album Relationship of Command, its a punk album at the core of it, but incorporates a lot of different influences. but they dont write their songs using any theory, you probably shouldnt do the same. they do write "depressing" songs once in a while (like Invalid Litter Dept) but usually they're more up-beat...not necessarrily HAPPY, but up-beat (like Pattern Against User).
Quote by ipunchcouches
Hey guys, so i play in a punk/hardcore/pop punk band. I'm in the midst of trying to write a few songs for us. My problem lately is that everything I write ends up sounding depressing, while i'm trying to shoot for a happier mood in the songs. With that in mind though, we dont wanna write songs that sound extremely similar to other bands; we want to stand out.

Now I know someone is gonna say "listen to different music." I do that all the time, and i'm not really gettin anywhere. I would like to do something different by incorporating tidbits of other styles of music into our band, but I don't wanna be too extreme to the point where we can no longer call ourselves a punk band you know?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks,
-Drew

What is the extent of your music theory knowledge?

If you want to sound different then play differently. Use notes that arent neccesarily safe. One Idea, is to just use your ear and play until something sounds good to you, then start messing with it using notes that you know dont normally fit and bend it up a bit. This is known and tension and resolution. Just because its not in the scale doesnt mean you can't use it.

Best,

Sean
Or you could just do I-IV-I-IV-I-IV all day long maybe even throw a V in there!
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.