If this is suppose to go in bandleading then please move this thread

I jam with a few guys that say were a band but i have many concerns regarding us and the word "band"

I feel like i am the only creative one that puts the time and effort in to practice.

the singer just listens to the song to try to remember the lyrics. He has no musical sense whatsoever, and he gets mad everytime anyone tries to give him a helpful tip.

the drummer is god like but does not stick up for himself and is always getting shut down by the singer.

our rythem guy gives up on anything he cant do instantly. hes been playing the sAme amount of time as me and he is no where close.

yes i have my flaws which are these: im easily annoyed (working on this) and i have a tendancy to be sorta rude when im high. whatever

i produce tons of riffs and good ideas but all they say is - "i want the song to sound like this song"

i try to tell them that we need to create our own sound but no one listens.
i pray for them to have the same mind set as me which is having our own sound, playing what feels right, playing to our maximum abilities and not trying to copy our favorite bands. yes it is good to have a format from another band but not to there extent that they go too

Please tell me UG. Should i just keep my mouth shut because we are all great friends and we have alot of fun jamming or should i ttry and intervene more than i do to try to lead them on a better path OR is my path of thinking wrong? please let me know because its very annoying when we have band practice and they go no where each time...

thank you
If God is your drummer then you have a pretty sick band. But in all seriousness you should talk to them about it. If they're your friends they should understand. Some people just don't belong in a band and changing someones mind set to be exactly like yours is impossible.

Keep them as jam friends but focus on finding other members to replace the ones that are causing the issues.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
sounds like you need to find real musicians to play with
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
1. Replace singer and rhythm guitarist
2. Stick up for your drummer, teach rhythm guitarist
3. Side project with drummer
I just feel if they follow my lead there will be more progress. Is there anyway i can voice the opinion out there without creating a mess
what motivation?

one kid sits home all day with no job and doesnt pick up his guitar yet complains everytime i create a riff thats to hard for him to play!

yeah i shouldnt be a in a band with them, i would love to kick the singer out but him and the drummer have been friends for years...so it sucks its either great drummer and bad vocals or just me and my rythem guy...who is my best friend...terrible situation...
Once again it is proved that jamming with dedicated musicians yields better results than jamming with your friends.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Think of it this way:

When you're jamming with them in band mode, they aren't your friends. They're your co-workers. Outside of the band, they're your friends.
Quote by weed11
what motivation?

one kid sits home all day with no job and doesnt pick up his guitar yet complains everytime i create a riff thats to hard for him to play!

yeah i shouldnt be a in a band with them, i would love to kick the singer out but him and the drummer have been friends for years...so it sucks its either great drummer and bad vocals or just me and my rythem guy...who is my best friend...terrible situation...

What's his motivation? Easy. He wants to be in a band without being in a band. Basically, he likes the idea that he can tell people he's in a band, but doesn't want to be bothered by the work.
Solution: don't be in a band with him.
Drummer: wants to hang out with friends, doesn't want to be in a real band. If he wanted a functional band, he'd go with the best musicians, not his buddies.
Solution: don't be in a band with him, or convince him of the error of his way.

Sorry, there's no magic solution that gets people to do things your way. Well, there is, but it yells a lot of yelling and blaming the Jews for your problems. Worked in Germany in the early 30's, but that road doesn't really go anywhere good.
Quote by koslack
What's his motivation? Easy. He wants to be in a band without being in a band. Basically, he likes the idea that he can tell people he's in a band, but doesn't want to be bothered by the work.
Solution: don't be in a band with him.
Drummer: wants to hang out with friends, doesn't want to be in a real band. If he wanted a functional band, he'd go with the best musicians, not his buddies.
Solution: don't be in a band with him, or convince him of the error of his way.

Sorry, there's no magic solution that gets people to do things your way. Well, there is, but it yells a lot of yelling and blaming the Jews for your problems. Worked in Germany in the early 30's, but that road doesn't really go anywhere good.

Lmao. Case closed. ^
It's never gonna work unless you submit to their demands or they get their act together. My friends were the same in my old band:
Singer was a drama queen, didn't show up to practice a lot, moaned about the songs, never practiced singing.
Bassist liked Aqualung and Modest Mouse when we were trying to be a punk/rock group, didn't practice.
Drummer was an outsider in our group and never spoke; quite talented.
Rhythm guitarist was good, put in as much effort as I did, we quit the band and did our own thing.

Best. Decision. Ever.