My brother told me something along the lines of if I mic a guitar with a condenser mic, it will explode.

I'm talking electric amp micing. I know that's exaggerated, but can it be done?
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
sorry but your brother is a noob

Generally a dynamic mic is used but you can certainly use a condenser mic with great results. You just need to be careful as the cone in a condenser is thinner and easier to tear so it's better to place the mic a few inches back from the cab and use a pop filter where possible.

have a read of this http://homerecording.about.com/od/microphones101/a/mic_types.htm
Thanks man. I don't think he's a noob. He went to berklee, so...
I think he was just pulling things out of his ass. Now I can save some money. =D
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Quote by AxSilentxLine
sorry but your brother is a noob

The mic can indeed get ruined. Condenser mics are not good for high spl sources. You can use it far, but you get a better representation of the speaker with a mic up close. If you have both use both to get both resolution and acoustic resonance.
Something jazzy, lol. Still, I'm just saying he has experience recording and I don't know why he said that.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Quote by nyandres
The mic can indeed get ruined. Condenser mics are not good for high spl sources. You can use it far, but you get a better representation of the speaker with a mic up close. If you have both use both to get both resolution and acoustic resonance.

I know mate read my whole post
i like using condenser mics on acoustics usually. a couple people above just about hit it, condenser mics are slightly different hardware implementation to take advantage of the same principles that all mics do. now, this leads to greater sensitivity in certain ranges, but the increased sensitivity makes it less resilient to larger/more powerful signals.

the question is then: "how much volume(spl, sound pressure level) can a condenser mic withstand?", the answer is "depends on what it's designed for". i believe your small diaphragm condenser mics will probably have the higher SPL rating, but there are also large diaphragm condenser mics that are made for high volume guitar recording. in fact there are even ribbon mics out there that can stand up to guitar cabs.

but to safely use a condenser mic with a guitar cab, just make sure you aren't cranked beyond the mic's spl rating. you can either use spl meter or common sense to achieve this end result. also, there are 1/2 watt guitar amps like the killer ant and the zvex nano as well and these amps won't crank out enough spl to threaten your mic's integrity.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae