I often end up in a situation where it's just me with my electric, another guitar player using an acoustic, and a singer. I've mostly just been playing chords along with the acoustic and occasionally using power chords or distortion to add something different. Maybe on one or two songs I've used scales to figure out the melody of the song and I play that on the bridge or whatever. But overall I think I need to be branching out more because what I'm doing now isn't adding much depth to the music.

So what exactly should I work on, and what should I play to add depth and color to the acoustic player's chords? I realized recently that I don't necessarily need to be playing the whole time...I suppose it's okay if I just play a few notes here and there to make it interesting, right? I mean, I don't want to sit there through the whole song and play 2 notes, but I also don't need to be playing a continuous stream of notes. Is that the right approach?

Some songs lend themselves well to a 2 guitar instrumentation and already have a sort of lead part, but on a lot of stuff I'm just kind of lost as to what to play. Hoping you guys can help me figure out some things to work on.
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender American Special Strat
Assorted Boss and Hardwire pedals
Vox AC15C1
palm mute and arrpeggiate (sp?) chords, and throw in sole little fills. or play the notes of the singers vocal line?
Quote by stilt37
ten bucks says you're playing at church lol

Yup. Well, a college Christian organization, but similar thing. I play a djembe sometimes but for several reasons I mostly play the guitar.

Thanks for the help so far.
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender American Special Strat
Assorted Boss and Hardwire pedals
Vox AC15C1
I used to play in church with a similar situation back in the day and I would just play a lot of bluesy fills and a lot of chords with the F shape all over the neck(don't know what there called I've always called them "piano chords?") Lol
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think