i want a low volume amp to play at home. small house, so nothing that only sounds good loud as shit. playing a schecter with emg 81/85. i have heard tube amp for active pups? but small wattage tube amps all need pedals to get very metal. i've looked into the bugera v5, blackstar ht5, peavey royal 8, blackheart killer ant, epi valve junior, and amps like that. something under 400, cheaper the better though. any thoughts? and if you are just gonna say i need a pedal, what pedal, and what amp takes pedals well?
that's a lot of power, and a little over my price. any other options? what'd you think of the blackstar ht
The HT5 will be the best for metal from your choices. Ever considered a Jet City amp?
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
from listening to youtube vids I would check out the Egnater Tweaker, the head is 400 but you would have to get a cab. I thought is sounded like it was pushing metal territory without even a pedal.
i've looked at the pico valve and some other jet city stuff but there are literally no good videos of it in action. much less with a distortion pedal or emgs. so killer ant is a no?
Quote by kylec1010
that's a lot of power
It also comes stock with a volume knob!

Seriously,. the 6505 blows away the ht-5 for dark, saturated metal tones, you would be a lot happier with it.

Even better, its totally gig-worthy!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by kylec1010
i want a low volume amp to play at home. small house, so nothing that only sounds good loud as shit. playing a schecter with emg 81/85. i have heard tube amp for active pups? but small wattage tube amps all need pedals to get very metal. i've looked into the bugera v5, blackstar ht5, peavey royal 8, blackheart killer ant, epi valve junior, and amps like that. something under 400, cheaper the better though. any thoughts? and if you are just gonna say i need a pedal, what pedal, and what amp takes pedals well?

youll get better metal tones at home volumes with a line 6 pod than any amp i could think of. Those things sounds really really good. Porcupine tree records their guitars with that and their tone is phenomenal
tweaker is gonna be a little too costy and i'm really not going to ever crank the 6505 up past 3oclock probably so that's useless
^ why would it be useless if you aren't gonna turn it past 3 o'clock? It's the preamp voicing of the 6505 which makes it a metal machine, not the power section.
haha it's just the concept of not using all the power and feeling like i'm wasting it i guess. you are right though
you need more then 15 watts for metal even if it is just bedroom.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
jet city 20 combo or mini stack.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
thanks!

Don't worry about it, its one of those ad-bots that just spam useless crap and virus links.
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Quote by kylec1010
tweaker is gonna be a little too costy and i'm really not going to ever crank the 6505 up past 3oclock probably so that's useless

Good luck getting it to 3 o'clock

I can't really turn my amp up past 9 o'clock, sounds fine. It really is worth getting a proper metal amp and keeping it on 'low' volume rather than a low wattage amp and cranking it.

EDIT: Also, where do you live? You say"up to 400", but 400 what? Dollars, Sterling, Euros?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Last edited by loonyguitarist at Jul 27, 2010,
400 US. and i've looked into ht-5's but it would almost be as much as a used 6505+
for modern metal you cant go wrong with 6505's, seriously.
Guitars
Amps
just get a Line 6 POD and some awesome headphones

there really aren't any low wattage tube amps that are beast mode for metal
post-punksymphonicblackeneddeathcore
Another +1 on the 6505. Doesn't matter if you can't turn it past three, you'll still have an awesome tone. And say maybe some chick comes around, and you want to blow the clothes off her, you'll have an amp powerful enough to do so! Win win, my friend.