I am currently the lead singer of my band but I have though about becoming the bassist aswell since were having such a hard time finding one and I can play bass. Right now the only bass we own is a crappy Squier Affinity P-Bass (which is what i learned on) and it is pretty uncomfortable to play and sing with plus it feels pretty uncomfortable in general. Sometime in the in the near future I would like to upgrade to something better. I do love p-basses but i dont know how much different they are feel wise from the squier we have. I dont have the cash to shell out for a stingray (my favourate basses) so what would be a good option somewhere between the $300-$500 range?
it is uncomfortable in what way? If its too heavy look at an ibanez, theyre generally lighter, if it sits weird, take your strap into a bass shop and see how each bass sits, maybe its just your strap though?
any bass you are usually comfortable with is your best bet while singing, just try some and see what you find comfortable
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Well, I sing and play bass too. Not in a band anymore. But I played a Schecter Custom 4 at the time and it was a little uncomfortable to play and sing with. Dunno why. It's all personal preference, I like Jazz basses when it comes to singing, usually a light bass helps. Heavy basses get a little uncomfortable after a while. But try out of feels really comfortable around your shoulders and I guess lean forward like you singing into a mic? I dunno.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
i have a crappy squire p-bass and i sing with it. unless ur spoiled rotten, it shouldnt make a difference, ive played a lot of instruments and ive never been so uncomfortable with 1 that i just couldnt use it. i used to sing lead in a band i recently quit while playing my (at the time) totally falling apart drumset. like, i didnt even have a real snare drum, i had like half a snare drum and no stand, i put it on my lap and played, and my ride cymbal's stand was/is so horrible it kept falling, and the high-hat was and still is just crushed. the quality overal was just depressing, but i worked with it.
whats the problem with your squire? you learned on it, you have a relationship with that bass, because without it you wouldnt know how to be a bassist, so dont insult ur bass or let it go to waste, use it!
Singer/bass player reporting in. From what I noticed, having your bass strap lower helps, since the weight doesn't interfere with your diaphragm movement, and since I'm a death metal vocalist, diaphragm is important for me. Also a comfortable, long strap is very good.
Quote by lavalamp360
I am currently the lead singer of my band but I have though about becoming the bassist aswell since were having such a hard time finding one and I can play bass. Right now the only bass we own is a crappy Squier Affinity P-Bass (which is what i learned on) and it is pretty uncomfortable to play and sing with plus it feels pretty uncomfortable in general. Sometime in the in the near future I would like to upgrade to something better. I do love p-basses but i dont know how much different they are feel wise from the squier we have. I dont have the cash to shell out for a stingray (my favourate basses) so what would be a good option somewhere between the $300-$500 range?

The most comfortable basses in existence happen to fit right in your budget. They are Yamaha's RBX 4-string and 5-string basses. They are the lightest things in the world and you hardly notice them even after playing for several hours. They also play very well and have a good tone:

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail.html?CNTID=5050027&CTID=5067800

I have the 4-string version and it is surprisingly good; particularly for how little it cost me. Just don't slam it into any solid objects. That highly lightweight body nicks and dents very easily.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
It really is a case of getting out there and trying them- we can't tell you what's going to be comfortable for you. I've seen guys that are comfortable singing with Precisions, and our own Fitz was singing with a Warwick Vampyre attached to him. It's swings and roundabouts in every way, shape and form.
I don't know why, but I've always imagined one of those cute little Fender Mustangs as being a good "singer's bass." Maybe because they're so small and seem more like guitars or something, but if I ever learn to sing (doubt it) I'd want to try one of those out. Just for fun.
i find a p bass the most comfortable. mines a slab body too
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
I sing with my Jaguar.

It shouldn't matter what bass you get it any bass should be comfortable when you play.

On strap length, I find when I sing I like having the body contour sit just below my belly, so I know I'm supporting correctly when the bottom of my stomach pushes into the bass.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
I don't know why, but I've always imagined one of those cute little Fender Mustangs as being a good "singer's bass." Maybe because they're so small and seem more like guitars or something, but if I ever learn to sing (doubt it) I'd want to try one of those out. Just for fun.

This
I've got a mustang 2008 CIJ reissue, just got it 2 weeks ago for $340, cause it had tape on it, was just electrical tape so didnt even leave residue; sing and playing the bass is amazing, a great sound, and the neck is a breeze to play. I too was using a squire affinity P-bass, and it's a bitch. it's a chunky rough bass, and even at 6'1 it's just too much bass to concentrate on when im trying to sing and play more then no thrills root notes. Also Jack Bruce, and Paul McCartney both used short scales, even if you don't like their music, they should be the guys you look up to, if your considering delving into bass and vocals. and yes, Jack Bruce now plays a warwick and McCartney did also use a Rick, but those are also quite out of your price range.

I'd say try a Jazz bass, an epiphone EB-0 or EB-3, also check craigslist for people selling vintage odd brand basses, like teisco, these are nice basses with awesome vintage looks and unique sounds, while also being light and easy to play. and usually a shorter scale. Lastly if you're into modding and upgrading, A squire bronco bass, with upgraded tuners, saddles, and pickup (GFS rail single) would be around $300 and play well.

If mark hoppus is your inspiration, then no worries about ever needing to play or sound good anyways