Page 1 of 2
Quote by Seatribe Team
Haven & Hearth is a MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game) set in a fictional world loosely inspired by Slavic and Germanic myth and legend. The game sets itself apart from other games in the genre in its aim to provide players with an interactive, affectable and mutable game world, which can be permanently and fundamentally changed and affected through actions undertaken by the players. Our fundamental goal with Haven & Hearth is to create a game in which player choices have permanent and/or lasting effects and, thus, providing said players with a meaningful and fun gaming experience.

Players start the game surrounded by a vast and somewhat unforgiving wilderness, with only the most basic tools of survival at their disposal. The use of fire is a thematic focal point of the game's mythos, and an early and important task will be the simple lighting of one. As the first hearth fires disperse the darkness of the surrounding wilderness, more pressing questions will present themselves to the players: Who are they? Where are they? And, most importantly, where are they going? From this point on, players will have to blaze trails of their own into the unknown, the wilderness and the future, and explore and affect the world of Haven & Hearth using only their own best judgment and a chipped stone axe. Trust us, the stone axe is the shit.

As players progress, they will be able to acquire new skills and abilities, allowing them to perform a variety of tasks—such as the claiming of land, the construction of buildings and the cultivation of crops—each step forward making the basic task of survival somewhat easier. Having progressed far enough, players will, in time, be able to organize themselves into societies, from simple tribes and villages, progressing through republics, nation states and, ultimately, empires.

At least, those are our lofty ambitions.

Do any of you guys play this game? I've only started within the last couple of weeks, but I think I'm getting my head around it and have recently moved camp and started up a small farm. If you give this game a bit of time and patience it can become very addictive; I'd recommend those of you who don't play to give it a try.

Haven & Hearth
H&H Wiki (You'll need it)

EDIT: Here's a screen of my current operation; not much, but ,once I get a few harvests done, my crops will get bigger and my log cabin is almost done. Once it is, I'll get to fencing off my land and hopefully get some leather and pot making happening.

Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Last edited by Callum89 at Jul 27, 2010,
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
i dont have time for mmo'z

fps are my cup o tea...

Thanks for that; I'm glad we had this conversation.
Those who have crossed
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Shit, that description makes it sound unbelievable. I doubt it's as good as it sounds though, but I might give it a shot.
Giving it a try.
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

There goes my summer...
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Hated it.
All I did was wander around a forest completely naked for 30 minutes.
The end of the world

Quote by mrfinkle213
Hated it.
All I did was wander around a forest completely naked for 30 minutes.

I get the impression you don't have the patience for this game. If anyone wants some help with the very basics I could probably give some, but as I said I haven't been playing too long myself and the wiki is a very good friend.
Those who have crossed
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Quote by Callum89
I get the impression you don't have the patience for this game. If anyone wants some help with the very basics I could probably give some, but as I said I haven't been playing too long myself and the wiki is a very good friend.

Maybe if I had some sort of tool or anything really, even clothes, to start with, I'd give it more of a chance.

EDIT: Giving it another go.
The end of the world

Last edited by mrfinkle213 at Jul 27, 2010,
Quote by mrfinkle213
Maybe if I had some sort of tool or anything really, even clothes, to start with, I'd give it more of a chance.

You get clothes at the start when you're in the room with the pool thing, it's in a chest and you have to make your own tools. The first and essential one you can make is the stone axe which is made from a piece of stone (right click a rock > chip) and a stick (right click a tree > take branch) then click on craft down the bottom right and find tools then "stone axe". Now you can start chopping down trees for experience to spend on skills and wooden blocks/boards (with a saw)
Those who have crossed
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Last edited by Callum89 at Jul 27, 2010,
Oh ok. I'm apparently in an area where there are no trees.
The end of the world

Quote by mrfinkle213
Oh ok. I'm apparently in an area where there are no trees.

Lol it shouldn't take too much exploration to find a forest area; the map will help you.
Those who have crossed
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Quote by pwnerer
Wtf is a hearth secret?

Players can set them once they are in game; I believe it's used to PM that player and to spawn at or near them.
Those who have crossed
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Interesting.

Minecraft, Programming, Music Theory, and now this [if it's good]? There's not enough time in the day!!!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Callum89
You get clothes at the start when you're in the room with the pool thing, it's in a chest and you have to make your own tools. The first and essential one you can make is the stone axe which is made from a piece of stone (right click a rock > chip) and a stick (right click a tree > take branch) then click on craft down the bottom right and find tools then "stone axe". Now you can start chopping down trees for experience to spend on skills and wooden blocks/boards (with a saw)

that sounds really complicated....

does it work on mac?
i'm Ginger its fun
Quote by Sparky-MMA
that sounds really complicated....

does it work on mac?

Took a couple of tries but yes.
taking its sweet ass time to download. then again guessing its a large app
i'm Ginger its fun
Seems interesting. Downloading it now and I'll give it a shot after work. Not sure I'll have the patience though.
I really want to play this but it's been veryfying application for ages.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by Cheeselord
I have hunting and fishing but how do I build stuff?

EDIT: I mean what do I do besides build fire for EXP?

Pretty much everything you do gets you EXP, though stuff like chopping down trees and building large things gets you more and what skills you have determine what you can build. First thing I did when I started was put my hearth fire down and build a small camp around it, then started chopping trees and and hunting rabbits for meat.

Try exploring out of your camp, you can always teleport back to your hearth fire and you sometimes find abandonned houses and villages you can take stuff from and if you come across a boat you can go quite far, quite quickly, along the rivers. The getting started and quick how-to are a good way to pick up on some basics and I'd recommend having the wiki open while you play for quick reference.

As for the guys saying it's taking ages to download and verify, I had the same problem; it worked eventually.
Those who have crossed
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
I'll give this a bit of a self bump; I'm interested in hearing what those of you who tried it think (or thought) of this game and here is my humble abode as it now stands.

Those who have crossed
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
I'm curious, but I don't want to do a big download if it isn't worth it.

Edit: Download is sticking at around 54%. o.o
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
Last edited by StratoCatser at Jul 28, 2010,
Quite good. I'm building my first log cabin now. **** all food about though, is there? Those rabbits are hard to catch....I'm eating rats.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
Quite good. I'm building my first log cabin now. **** all food about though, is there? Those rabbits are hard to catch....I'm eating rats.

A good method of catching rabbits is to stand next to them and use the punch ability; it should kill them instantly and you can pick up then butcher their corpse without having to chase them. Also spend some experience on the exploration skill value as it will allow you to find blueberries and other edible and useful plants.

Quote by Cheeselord
Do I have to start a new character since I died?

Yes, though you can choose them to be a decendant of your old character and you gain their hearth fire and some of their skill points.

Quote by SG_dave
seriously how long should this take to download, i restarted and it's like 2 hours in with no sign of progressing.

Mine took a while, but I don't know how long exactly since I started it late afternoon and didn't check it too often until the following morning.
Those who have crossed
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Last edited by Callum89 at Jul 28, 2010,
Download sucks. Its almost at a complete standstill...
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
Downloading now and reading the wiki and manual. This seems like immense fun. I have way too much free time these days.
Quote by Callum89
A good method of catching rabbits is to stand next to them and use the punch ability; it should kill them instantly and you can pick up then butcher their corpse without having to chase them. Also spend some experience on the exploration skill value as it will allow you to find blueberries and other edible and useful plants.

Yes, though you can choose them to be a decendant of your old character and you gain their hearth fire and some of their skill points.

Mine took a while, but I don't know how long exactly since I started it late afternoon and didn't check it too often until the following morning.

How do i get the punch ability?

I think i'll start a new character, my man keeps getting mashed by boars.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
How come the download is taking everyone so long?

How big is the file?

I didn't even finish the download and mines working. just press play on the site and click run and it happens.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Quote by Cheeselord
Do I have to start a new character since I died?

Is your avatar one of those dudes from the smile test in that thread the other week?

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Last edited by Jiggzy.UK at Jul 28, 2010,
Page 1 of 2