Ok so I'm just about ready to by my electric, I've narrowed it down to 2 guitars (both secondhand, since its the only way I could afford a guitar that isn't plywood with pickups)

The first is an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Korean made.
The second is the Ibanez S420. Indonesian made, with V7 and V8 pickups.

Obviously the epi should blow the Ibanez out of the water, but my friend (who owns an Ibanez and a Gibson) says that the Ibanez is more versatile.
What does you guys think, play it safe with an epi, or go for the Ibanez (which is marginally cheaper). I like the epi, but the trem sounds like a good idea for soloing n stuff

Btw, I play a range of genres, from metal, post hardcore, pop punk (sue me I'm a high schooler), indie and post rock.
Um, no, the Epi should not "blow the Ibanez out of the water". The Ibanez is a way better guitar (imo), and yes, way more versatile.

Also, those guitars are completely different beasts to begin with. They share nothing in common except wood.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Um, no, the Epi should not "blow the Ibanez out of the water". The Ibanez is a way better guitar (imo), and yes, way more versatile.

Also, those guitars are completely different beasts to begin with. They share nothing in common except wood.

+1

Depends on whether you want a Les Paul or Super Strat-style guitar.

I like Les Pauls but as far as versatility and quality goes, Ibanez is yer best bet IMO.
Quote by slicerlml
+1
I like Les Pauls but as far as versatility and quality goes, Ibanez is yer best bet IMO.

Agreed...
I've played both... I'd pick the Ibanez... I hate the weight of LP's... and the Ibanez S is mahogany too, but it feels like an Ash wood guitar... (it's THAT LIGHT)
go for the s as they are best

Ibanez S670FM
Ibanez Masa SX60
Roland Cube 60
CryBaby GCB 95
Ibanez GSR180 Bass

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
See, there are two Glaswegians posting in the one thread, on the same opinion, you HAVE To go for it now!
Ibanez.
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
PRS Custom 24
SX Strat

Peavey 6505+
BUGERA 333XL
Laney LA412 Cab
Marshall AVT100 (Living at my friends place :P )
Quote by slicerlml
Depends on whether you want a Les Paul or Super Strat-style guitar.

Precisely.

Things to consider:

- Which body shape do you find more comfortable?

* 22/24 frets, single cut/double cut, short scale/long scale, wizard neck/60's neck, weight/less weight

- Bridge systems

* TOM / ZR tremolo (does anyone here know about these ZR bridges' quality?)

- Which looks better?
Quote by Rautio
Precisely.

* TOM / ZR tremolo (does anyone here know about these ZR bridges' quality?)

ZR trems, unlike knife edge trems, have two joints on either side with ball bearings... and the Zero Point System springs...
The trem is much more stable than other double locking trems, and the guitar doesn't go outta tune if a single string snaps...

That's just the basics, there's a lot more to it... I think...
best if someone who knows more than me says it... hehehehe
Thanks for all the feedback, I had no idea they'd be so much more support for the Ibanez hahaha. Personally I think the les paul looks really classy, but I gotta admit the Ibanez has got more tonal options (not to mention its cheaper)
It's been mentioned, but a big consideration other than whether you want a trem, is the single cutaway on the Epi.

If you play solo stuff and like a clean run of the neck, it's something to try before you buy. Even if you don't play much solo stuff but there is a chance that you even MIGHT, it's worth going for a bend on your high E string at the 22nd fret. When it happens, you'll know lol.

Just kidding, it's not a big thing, but it can take a bit of getting used to.
Quote by Anansi
Thanks for all the feedback, I had no idea they'd be so much more support for the Ibanez hahaha. Personally I think the les paul looks really classy, but I gotta admit the Ibanez has got more tonal options (not to mention its cheaper)

The Ibanez does have more tonal options via the 5-way switch and trem.

On the other hand, LP has separate volumes and tones for both pups.

If you're into lower tunings, they're easier to execute on TOM bridges. On the other hand, intonation is harder to get right unless you use thicker strings (if we're talking about C tuning etc.)
Yeah drop c is probably the lowest I'd go, its basically the standard for metal these days. But isn't it hard to change tunings with trems? I heard that about floyd roses and my friend's Edge Zero. I'm guessing this would be the same thing..
Quote by Anansi
Yeah drop c is probably the lowest I'd go, its basically the standard for metal these days. But isn't it hard to change tunings with trems? I heard that about floyd roses and my friend's Edge Zero. I'm guessing this would be the same thing..

The ZR is not totally dependent on the string tension... it's supposed to be easier than other trems.
I own both, as you can see by my signature.

Honestly, for the type of music you play, the les paul is going to whoop the S series ass IMO.

Mines obviously an RG, but I've owned plenty s series. The LP's tone is going to be much more thick and deep. Even as a epiphone. The S series is going to be very cool, but for metal (heavy), you would be better suited with an RG.

For something like power metal, and you did mention pop metal, the S series will be great, but as far as versatility goes, you can cover much more with the LP imo.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Jul 27, 2010,
How can you even compare them? There's a world of difference between the two guitars...
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Mad Marius
How can you even compare them? There's a world of difference between the two guitars...

+1
Wait a tick, is the s420 an older model? You said it has V7 and V8 pickups, so it could be an older version that doesnt have a ZR and could have one of those crappy old lo-trs trems. That or the pickups were swapped.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by guitar nubsauce
I own both, as you can see by my signature.

Honestly, for the type of music you play, the les paul is going to whoop the S series ass IMO.

Mines obviously an RG, but I've owned plenty s series. The LP's tone is going to be much more thick and deep. Even as a epiphone. The S series is going to be very cool, but for metal (heavy), you would be better suited with an RG.

For something like power metal, and you did mention pop metal, the S series will be great, but as far as versatility goes, you can cover much more with the LP imo.

I think the S series can do far more than power metal. That is like saying the epi would only be good for classic rock its a total lie.
Maybe I was a bit vague - the S series has great clean tone and versatile distortion, but I'll put it like this - and it's just an opinion -

If you want to play heavier music like iced earth, tool, slipknot, poison the well, flyleaf, metallica, nevermore etc - I feel the LP would fetch better results compared to an S series. Ibanez RG would be a better choice compared to an S series. LP obviously is considered one of the kings of blues and classic rock as well. Obviously you would lose the whammy bar.

If you're playing any type of jazz, blues, power metal, satriani, dragon force, vai, etc the S would do it great.

Honestly their too separate species as said above.

Just sayin, it's going to be tough to fetch slipknot results off an S series.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Jul 27, 2010,
a S series is way better for Metallica than a epiphone les Paul. It has a tremolo system and a faster neck with 24 frets.
Quote by perfectchaos23
a S series is way better for Metallica than a epiphone les Paul. It has a tremolo system and a faster neck with 24 frets.

Not in terms of tone it's not.

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Mad Marius
Not in terms of tone it's not.

maybe i should have re-phrased my statement it would be easier to play Metallicas leads and solos. But i do not know about the tone.
Quote by perfectchaos23
maybe i should have re-phrased my statement it would be easier to play Metallicas leads and solos. But i do not know about the tone.

Yeah, leads and solos are basically Ibanez's forte.

But Ibanezes, particularly the S series, sound too thin and trebly for metal riffs. The sound doesn't have enough balls, so to say. At least that's the impression I got.

Quote by Mad Marius
Yeah, leads and solos are basically Ibanez's forte.

But Ibanezes, particularly the S series, sound too thin and trebly for metal riffs. The sound doesn't have enough balls, so to say. At least that's the impression I got.

I think but I could be wrong that could be causesd by how thin the s series bodies are.
Quote by guitar nubsauce
Maybe I was a bit vague - the S series has great clean tone and versatile distortion, but I'll put it like this - and it's just an opinion -

If you want to play heavier music like iced earth, tool, slipknot, poison the well, flyleaf, metallica, nevermore etc - I feel the LP would fetch better results compared to an S series. Ibanez RG would be a better choice compared to an S series. LP obviously is considered one of the kings of blues and classic rock as well. Obviously you would lose the whammy bar.

If you're playing any type of jazz, blues, power metal, satriani, dragon force, vai, etc the S would do it great.

Honestly their too separate species as said above.

Just sayin, it's going to be tough to fetch slipknot results off an S series.

You sure? I play in a doom metal band with nothing but Ibanez S series guitars

Own two of them at the moment and I'm looking to buy a J Custom Ibanez S soon also. The trouble with epiphone is the quality is sketchy in the lower models. I have played some very very poor epiphone's in the past. However to me Ibanez S series guitars are pretty much the best instruments I have laid my hands on......

It's down to your amp what kind of music you can pull off with what instrument. When I have an S series in my hand I can get the br00tz out of it no problem
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by perfectchaos23
I think but I could be wrong that could be causesd by how thin the s series bodies are.

Not true, the contoured design (thickest in the middle) & high quallity mahogany used (on the Japanese models) offset the lack of body mass/weight.

Carcass (Steer/Ammott) used various S-series models on Necrotism & Heartwork...

Alex Skolnick from Testament uses them often.

(Not my thing but...) Both guitarists from BTBAM used them...

They're as thick and chunky sounding as anything out there...very refined and classy too when needed. Just 'cause the dudes from Dragonforce/Rhapsody use them does'nt mean that they can't get A LOT heavier..
Last edited by GodOfEmptyness at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by GodOfEmptyness
Not true, the contoured design (thickest in the middle) & high quallity mahogany used (on the Japanese models) offset the lack of body mass/weight.

Carcass (Steer/Ammott) used various S-series models on Necrotism & Heartwork...

Alex Skolnick from Testament uses them often.

(Not my thing but...) Both guitarists from BTBAM used them...

They're as thick and chunky sounding as anything out there...very refined and classy too when needed. Just 'cause the dudes from Dragonforce/Rhapsody use them does'nt mean that they can't get A LOT heavier..

Yeah i didn't know for a fact it was a wild guess.
Quote by bean-o
Wait a tick, is the s420 an older model? You said it has V7 and V8 pickups, so it could be an older version that doesnt have a ZR and could have one of those crappy old lo-trs trems. That or the pickups were swapped.

No its a newer model, the one with 24 frets, but as I mentioned I'm buying it secondhand. The owner replaced the stock INF pickups.
Quote by Talentless
It's down to your amp what kind of music you can pull off with what instrument. When I have an S series in my hand I can get the br00tz out of it no problem

I agree with the right set of pickups (BK like yours, or emg, blackouts) you can most likely get a really heavy tone out of an S series with the right amp.

If you want to nail something like slipknot, even though you can probably get really close with an S series - definitely enough to pull it off, I'd still say in the end you would get a bit closer with a Les Paul or an RG.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)