Some of my favourite bands (instrumentally) are progressive metal (i.e. Dream Theater, Symphony X, Between the Buried And Me, etc.) and some of my favourite vocalists are from grunge bands (i.e. Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, etc.). Are there any bands that are sort of a fusion of the genres? Or does it just not really work?
Don't know, I mean Tool are pretty progressive and the vocals aren't exactly like James Labrie, are they?

I'm actually shuddering thinking about James Labrie singing some AIC stuff, RIGHT NOW
Quote by slicerlml
Don't know, I mean Tool are pretty progressive and the vocals aren't exactly like James Labrie, are they?

I'm actually shuddering thinking about James Labrie singing some AIC stuff, RIGHT NOW

Me too, Honestly. Or vice versa. Would sound terrible haha.
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
Quote by slicerlml

lol true... I think James Labrie has an amazing voice, but I've never enjoyed his harsh-voice covers (i.e. the Master of Puppets bootleg....)

Yeah, I'll give Tool and Mastodon a listen. I've heard a bit of stuff from both, but have never really listened to either properly.

I know there's not much cross over between the genres, but I think certain songs could be pulled off. For instance, I can easily hear Chris Cornell singing Lines in the Sand.
Definitely check out 10,000 days from Tool and Leviathan from Mastodon.
Quote by Zanon
Definitely check out 10,000 days from Tool and Leviathan from Mastodon.

Damn - I'm actually really digging Crack the Skye. Leviathan has some good stuff too, but I like the production quality much better on CtS.
I know the band you're looking for, listen to Haji s Kitchen, sound like alice in chains and pantera with virtuoso guitars and prog sections