Page 1 of 2
Am I just weird because I hate how combos look, but I think that a head and a cab looks much better haha?

Bit of a random thread, but yeah, does anyone else think that a separate head and cab looks better than a combo?
I also think that a head and cab looks cooler, doesnt stop me from buying combos.
Last edited by Jackamedmos at Jul 27, 2010,
Quote by Jackamedmos
I also think that a head and cab looks cooler, doesnt stop me from buying them.

Eh? That's kinda contradicting haha.
Quote by Andrew/WK
Eh? That's kinda contradicting haha.

Buying gear, for the sake of tone, made on a decision besides aesthetic (plus more practical)? Insanity, young lad, insanity.
I never said I would buy an amp due to its looks. I just don't like the look of combos. Plus, I haven't seen any combos that I would actually like because people have said you get a better tone with the head and a speaker of your choice.
peavey 6505, marshall jvm (personal opinion), mesa boogie lonestar etc etc

combo's are very good, and sure the head+cab might look good, but unless gigging there is no real need for them
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Quote by Andrew/WK
I never said I would buy an amp due to its looks. I just don't like the look of combos. Plus, I haven't seen any combos that I would actually like because people have said you get a better tone with the head and a speaker of your choice.

Mesa Boogie Mark V combo > Marshall MG head and cab...

nuff said
i'm Ginger its fun
Quote by Jackamedmos
Ehm no? Are you really that stupid?

I'm not, no, usually when you say something looks bad/ is bad, you'd say "that doesn't stop me from buying them" but not when you say something looks good/is good.
Quote by Andrew/WK
I'm not, no, usually when you say something looks bad/ is bad, you'd say "that doesn't stop me from buying them" but not when you say something looks good/is good.

Maybe he meant he likes the look of head+cab more, but that still wouldn't stop him from buying a combo..?

Oh well. Same for me. I like head+cab, but I'd still buy a combo if it suited my needs.
Last edited by Ignite at Jul 27, 2010,
Quote by Sparky-MMA

nuff said

No it isn't "nuff said"

You can't just pick 2 amps, hugely different in price, quality & tone, compare them is a way that makes no sense, to make a point that's personal preference anyway.

I actually really like combos, just not the weight of them.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by Jackamedmos
I also think that a head and cab looks cooler, doesnt stop me from buying them.

sounds like you're contradicting yourself.

TS, depends on the head and cab. depends on the combo.

i think some stacks look ridiculous.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Sparky-MMA

nuff said

Lets see here mesa boogie mark iv or v head and cab> Marshall mg combo or line 6 spider combo lol.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by Andrew/WK

By "them," he was referring to combos.
Quote by ChazBcWarlock
peavey 6505, marshall jvm (personal opinion), mesa boogie lonestar etc etc

combo's are very good, and sure the head+cab might look good, but unless gigging there is no real need for them

everyone keeps saying that, but ffs, what does it change if you're gigging or not? a combo and a half-stack are just as efficient when playing live, and don't change much, because anyways, even if you are playiing with a full stack, usually, only one of your speaker cones will be mic'd

Yes, TS, the half-stack looks cooler, and honestly I think that's one of the main reasons they sell.
Don't get me wrong, I do have a half-stack, I actually have 2 if you count a 2x12 as a half-stack, and I have used a lot of setups live, and having a half-stack does not change a single thing live

The only interest I see in having a head+cab is that when you want to buy a new amp later on, the head is always cheaper than the combo version (well in most normal cases) so inn the long run you spend less $
Also, same thing for the cab, you can move your head around and even share a cab with another band if you are playing a gig or whatever, there's the mix'n'match possibility. Otherwise, yes it does sound fuller, but who cares if you're the only one noticing?
By head and cab, if you mean like a 1x10, 1x12, or 2x10, yeah, I like that more. However, I've never really been a fan of 4x12 half stacks because they're just too big and heavy.

I also like combos though, so as long as I like the amp I'll take either really.
I like my combo quite a bit, giving my a really percussion-y tone. As far as looks, well worn Ampeg logo with sparkley blue cloth and the most immaculate tolex. IDK, I think you are being a little shallow for only thinking stacks are sexy, all amps need love dude. All amps need love.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
2 by 12 combos look awesome imo
Gibson RawPower SG 2009 (Zales)
Gibson Hummingbird 70's? (Amy)
Jet City JCA 20 Watt Combo
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Meh I think half stacks look MUCH better than combos.

And if anyone says that you buy gear ONLY based on looks and its stupid to make any decision based on appearance is out of their mind. If different gear didn't look sexy, people would not be so crazy over it.

I'm pretty sure that if you had a Marshall MG 100, sold it, saved up, bought a Mesa Mark V, and it looked EXACTLY the same, you would be much less happy.

I don't know about anyone else, but before I play, when my heads are on standby, Its nice to just admire your gear like its a naked chick.
/rig
I think some combos look cool, 6505 212's, Vox AC30's, Mesa's.. that's pretty much it though
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I like my combo quite a bit, giving my a really percussion-y tone. As far as looks, well worn Ampeg logo with sparkley blue cloth and the most immaculate tolex. IDK, I think you are being a little shallow for only thinking stacks are sexy, all amps need love dude. All amps need love.

I love this guy.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by forsaknazrael

...i'd hit it.

i don't mind stacks tho.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Ignite
Maybe he meant he likes the look of head+cab more, but that still wouldn't stop him from buying a combo..?

Oh well. Same for me. I like head+cab, but I'd still buy a combo if it suited my needs.

We got the same amp savings! $300. I'm not a hundered percent on what to spend it on though, but I got some ideas. Even that'll probably change after I get all the money I need in about a month or two haha.

Anyways, yeah, I like the look of a head and cab better. It's more professional looking I guess. But as someone else has already said, unless you're gigging, you don't really need one.
I take your combos, your heads and cabs and I raise you!

Rack and Cab!
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Talentless
I take your combos, your heads and cabs and I raise you!

Rack and Cab!

And you still have all that extra room!
I can't think of anything else to put in the rack
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
yeah I think a head and cab looks a lot cooler than most combos. only reason I got my 5150 combo is cause it doesn't look like other combos, it almost looks like a head and cab

Quote by handbanana
yeah I think a head and cab looks a lot cooler than most combos. only reason I got my 5150 combo is cause it doesn't look like other combos, it almost looks like a head and cab

Yeah, it prettymuch is, they're in completely seperate sections. I saw somewhere, maybe on here, where someone actually cut it in half and made it a head and cab
yeah definitely doable. i'm considering changing the speakers out, but they stock sheffields really aren't all that bad if you ask me
Quote by gregs1020

i don't mind stacks tho.
Yeah, Ampeg is teh sux, get a real amp noob.

Since when does Hendrix play Line 6 O.o.0

Quote by CL/\SH
I love this guy.

Thanks, but you are not sig worthy. Sorry about the fail.
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Jul 27, 2010,
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Yeah, Ampeg is teh sux, get a real amp noob.

Since when does Hendrix play Line 6 O.o.0

Hendrix always played Line 6, they mic'd them offstage n00b.

Yea ampegs look cool, so who cares how they sound?
Quote by Ignite

The grammar indicates that he meant the head/cab again since he never changed subjects, even though he probably meant the combo.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by gregs1020
Hendrix always played Line 6, they mic'd them offstage n00b.

Yea ampegs look cool, so who cares how they sound?

"The company was founded in 1996 and is based in Calabasas, California."

Well, according to the wiki, Line 6 was founded in '96. This can only mean one thing. Hendrix is still alive!

Seriously, I really really like Ampeg. I am completely satisfied with many of their products, take a look Marshall; this is how you run a company.

If only I had the cash to drop for an SVT-4 and the matching 8x10...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
"The company was founded in 1996 and is based in Calabasas, California."

Well, according to the wiki, Line 6 was founded in '96. This can only mean one thing. Hendrix is still alive!

Seriously, I really really like Ampeg. I am completely satisfied with many of their products, take a look Marshall; this is how you run a company.

lol, he's alive! that pic just delivers.

yea i'm a huge ampeg fan. i had a j12 and a few j20s. i was flipping them for a while until the gooses ass stopped dropping.
All this shit is the same. The only thing to me that makes any gear look cooler is either color or amount of lights. Everything else it just black, gray, or white (except Oranges), and some blue.

Honestly, if you're stupid enough to consider looks when shopping for and amp, then you get what you deserve (as far as tone and value goes)
Combos are awesome and so are halfstacks.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

Ewww, why would you want an SVT-4? You want an SVT-2 and anything below it, nothing past it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Page 1 of 2