Page 1 of 2
The challenge has now begun, but you can still sign up

Day 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello. This is just a quick idea that I came up with while thinking of ways to improve my playing, and this is what I've come up with. So I present to you, the Pit..

The 30 Day Chord Challenge!

But what is this challenge?

The aim of the challenge is to learn 90 chords in 30 days, so 3 chords each day. Sounds easy right? Wrong. These have to be chords you've never learnt before, or a chord you know but played at a different pitch. So for example, instead of using your normal open C chord, you've got to learn it somewhere else on the neck so like the C 'E-shaped' barre chord up on the 8th fret.

Rules:

• You have 30 days to learn 90 chords, starting August 1st.
  • All chords must be one's you have never learnt before.
  • Doesn't matter what grade it is, as long as you haven't learnt it.
  • You must write a blog at least once a week updating your progress (say what chords you've learnt basically).

If you have any questions feel free to ask below..

Participants:
metalbaswee
jfreyvogel
GezzyDiversion
ApatheticMe
HeavyReverb
*Latem*
MortifiedLizard
Ibrahimasood
Primusfan
poomahloo
WyvernOmega
Trowzaa
Kioshi
Last edited by Fieryhead at Aug 1, 2010,
Count me in. Hopefully this will be motivating to learn something. Although i think 90 is pretty much.
Quote by MightyAl
Isn't it odd, that Iron Man is a superhero, whereas "iron, woman!" is a command?

EAT MY ASS AND BALLS.
Quote by metalbaswee
Count me in. Hopefully this will be motivating to learn something. Although i think 90 is pretty much.

I thought that myself, but if I said like 1 a day people aren't going to be very motivated, so if people try about 3 a day, it might try a little harder, but if you can't do that then do whatever you feel most comfortable with
Music theory ftw.

I already know all the chords I'll ever use and probably more, count me out on this one.
ah go on. ill sign up then

does using alternate tunings count?
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Sign me up. I've been meaning to branch out for a while now.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
So if you learn 3 chords a day, then by the 30th you should do them all!

Edit: do inversions count?
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Last edited by ibrahimasood at Jul 30, 2010,
Quote by HeavyReverb
ah go on. ill sign up then

does using alternate tunings count?

Yes, alternate tuning count, as long as you can play them

Quote by ibrahimasood
So if you learn 3 chords a day, then by the 30th you should do them all! Edit: do inversions count?

Yes, inversions count .

Quote by poomahloo
Ill have a stab, do we list our 90 at the end?

Up to you. As long as you have a list by the end of what you've learnt from this, your fine .
I'll try.

Expect failure by day 2

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
Last question, if you learn like say : C7 chord and then you learn the D7 chord, would that count? or is it a chord per each thing?
Yeah sign me up It'll give me motivation to learn new things.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by ibrahimasood
Last question, if you learn like say : C7 chord and then you learn the D7 chord, would that count? or is it a chord per each thing?

If it was a chord per each thing, then I think we'd run out
But yeah, that counts. As long as you've never played it before it counts .
Quote by Casketcreep
This is so stupid.
Learn how to build a chord, that way you'll know so many more.

Just learning chords for the sake of is pointless.

Thanks for you negative comment. The reason I did this thread is because not only do you need to know theory, its because you also need to know how to play the chords, plus it gets people motivated to learn other stuff apart from riffs and licks. So please come back with at least a positive comment next time instead of being negative. The idea may be stupid, but I came up with it to see what everyone would think. And yeah sure, everyones entitiled to their own oppinion, but if you can't say one positive thing about this thread then you shouldn't have commented.
Quote by Fieryhead
Thanks for you negative comment. The reason I did this thread is because not only do you need to know theory, its because you also need to know how to play the chords, plus it gets people motivated to learn other stuff apart from riffs and licks. So please come back with at least a positive comment next time instead of being negative. The idea may be stupid, but I came up with it to see what everyone would think. And yeah sure, everyones entitiled to their own oppinion, but if you can't say one positive thing about this thread then you shouldn't have commented.

I like the idea but if you know how to play a barre E chord on the 7th fret you move it 2 frets back and you have a D and so on, you do the same with Maj/min or 7th and 6th and 7#9 and sus2 and sus4 and 13, If you know one way to play them you move up to the desired root note and you have a different chord, I'm just saying.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Learning theory and learning chords are not separate things.
If you know your theory you can make any chord as long as you know the scale.

A better idea would be 90 scales in 30 days.
Sorry if I came off as an ass in that last comment, I'm incredibly hung over and I'm rather testy at the moment.
Count me in.

The goal is 90 chords by the end of the month, not 3 chords a day right? So, for example, if I learned six new chords every two days it would still count?
Smell ya later!
Quote by Hippy's Son
wow, these people are a bunch of stupid drama queens. everybody dies, idiots, not every guitar breaks.

UG's resident Pokemon Leauge Champion!
Pokemon RBY CYOA!
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
I like the idea but if you know how to play a barre E chord on the 8*th fret you move it 2 frets back and you have a D and so on, you do the same with Maj/min or 7th and 6th and 7#9 and sus2 and sus4 and 13, If you know one way to play them you move up to the desired root note and you have a different chord, I'm just saying.

I know that, the point of this was to learn how to play like a 7th chord etc, and chords in different positions. My idea was just to get people motivated, and I just wanted to see what everyone thought.

* I corrected your theory because 7th fret and move it 2 frets up you have a C# Major, not a D.

Quote by Casketcreep
Learning theory and learning chords are not separate things. If you know your theory you can make any chord as long as you know the scale. A better idea would be 90 scales in 30 days. Sorry if I came off as an ass in that last comment, I'm incredibly hung over and I'm rather testy at the moment.

I know that, but I meant like how to hold it as some people struggle on how to hold say a C-shaped barre chord. I think I'll do that idea next time, if you don't mind that is. And it's fine, I'm a bit p!ssed off atm to put it bluntly so I just feel like kicking off - sorry if I seemed a b!tch before.
TS your avatar is ironic, that guy uses maybe 4 different chords in all of his songs
love is love // return to dust
Quote by Kioshi
Count me in.

The goal is 90 chords by the end of the month, not 3 chords a day right? So, for example, if I learned six new chords every two days it would still count?

Yeh, as long as your learning something new
One last minuet question.
Do we have to be able to name them all?
Or can we just tab it and call tyhem Am variant?
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
I like the idea but if you know how to play a barre E chord on the 7th fret you move it 2 frets back and you have a D and so on, you do the same with Maj/min or 7th and 6th and 7#9 and sus2 and sus4 and 13, If you know one way to play them you move up to the desired root note and you have a different chord, I'm just saying.

Agreed
Quote by poomahloo
One last minuet question.
Do we have to be able to name them all?
Or can we just tab it and call tyhem Am variant?

As long as you can either name it or tab it, its fine
Quote by Fieryhead

* I corrected your theory because 7th fret and move it 2 frets up you have a C# Major, not a D.

7th fret on A string is E and if you move it 2 frets back you have D major.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Hm, if you know music theory there really isn't any point. If anything there should be a music theory challenge, but TS I like your idea anyway.
2010's Sexiest Female Uger

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

7th fret on A string is E and if you move it 2 frets back you have D major.

My mistake, i thought you said a E-shaped barre chord. Sorry, I do apologise for my mistake.. and my rubbish use of theory . I'm only 14 you see, and know hardly any theory, but that will soon change
Quote by Casketcreep
D major is not a note. You just get a D.

Well I guess you're right but he said 8th fret is E and if I move it 2 frets backwards It's C# but I was refering a maj chord.
Quote by tattyreagh

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by FreakAddiction
Hm, if you know music theory there really isn't any point. If anything there should be a music theory challenge, but TS I like your idea anyway.

Funny you should mention the music theory challenge, I was thinking about this one earlier. I might do this for september, like each day I put up like a new question and people have to answer it seperately and don't post it until the final day in september, and then they can see if they got it right or something like that.. just an idea
Quote by Fieryhead
Funny you should mention the music theory challenge, I was thinking about this one earlier. I might do this for september, like each day I put up like a new question and people have to answer it seperately and don't post it until the final day in september, and then they can see if they got it right or something like that.. just an idea

That would be pretty easy unless you put in some advanced music theory questions.
Quote by tattyreagh

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
That would be pretty easy unless you put in some advanced music theory questions.

Well yeah, I'd probably get someone more advanced in music theory to ask the questions.
Page 1 of 2