I'm on a pretty low budget and was looking for a gig and practice amp. I was thinking about the Vypyr 75w but if I got the footswitch as well its more than twice the price of the frontman. It seems like it can get pretty heavy distortion, and I have actives so that's not much of a problem, but I was just wondering what your opinions are on it and if I should buy it or not? Also, I'm NOT looking for a tube amp
Last edited by zgbgydug at Jul 27, 2010,
I wouldn't. They aren't great amps. You can find much better for the price.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Actives will make hardly any difference on a solid state amp.
The Frontman is pretty ****ing lousy all round, throw a pedal or three in front of it and you can probably get it to do what you want, but I'd honestly go for the Vypyr or even a Roland Cube 60
ohai little sig.
I'm not really looking for the sound of God, just something to have for awhile until I can afford something better
What's your budget and what kind of music do you play?

Also, why are you not looking for a tube amp?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by GNR4EVER
What's your budget and what kind of music do you play?

Also, why are you not looking for a tube amp?

Like not more than $400. And I pretty much play anything from acoustic to metal.
And I don't want a tube amp because I don't want to spend like $600 for something 30w or less. I'm happy with solid states
OP, the Fender Frontman is not really an amp you would want to get if you played anything else but jazz.

Also check your inbox.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
The Frontman isn't good for anything except cleans. The distortion is terrible

I concur. When I played it I got the same impression.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Even the cleans on the Frontman aren't comparable to a lot of tube amps.

TS, I saw a Peavey Classic 50 on CL for 400 bucks. That's enough tube wattage to make you go deaf, and it's feck loads better than any solid state in the same price range.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by zgbgydug
It seems like it can get pretty heavy distortion, and I have actives so that's not much of a problem

why do people seem to think that Active pups = br00tal metal distortion???

Quote by zgbgydug
Like not more than $400. And I pretty much play anything from acoustic to metal.
And I don't want a tube amp because I don't want to spend like $600 for something 30w or less. I'm happy with solid states

and why do people seem to think more wattage = better amp??

you could probably pick up a nice used tube amp for $400 that would DESTROY the Frontman
with a half decent budget like that, you might as well pick up a 2nd hand amp that will most likley hold it's value and sounds tonns better than an amp that will be barley worth anything when you come along to get rid of it, and sounds like ass

or if you really want SS, look into the Vyper, or a second hand Line 6 Flextone (no idea on prices :P )
Quote by Led Dirigible
Crickets have too much high end for my tastes. I prefer a nice beetle, lots of warm low end.

tl;dr put a beetle in your amp for superior toanz.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Classic
Westfeild LP e4500
Amp: Vox AD15VT
Quote by Rapter-paul
why do people seem to think that Active pups = br00tal metal distortion???

and why do people seem to think more wattage = better amp??

It's okay, Paul, everything is going to be all right.

And I also use to own a Frontman 212R. Take it from those who have owned one, it is a god awful amplifier in the world of amplifiers.
I have a Frontman 65R which I let my friends play but I take it the 212 is the same. They're right about the wattage too TS. A 20W tube amp, like a Blackstar HT 20 or JCA20 for example will be easily as loud as a Frontman 212 (I know my 65R is freakishly loud), and you can plud them into extension cabs if you really need to
I have never played a Kustom, and don't know much about em either. Wait around for someone who has to give input.