occasionally when im playing my new Fender BJ, i get this very high pitched white noise coming from the amp, sometimes it goes away, and sometimes it doesn't shut off until i turn the amp off. the noise remains when i set the volume on my guitar to zero, so im pretty sure its not the guitar. is this a microphonic preamp tube, or something else? and is a microphonic tube dangerous to the amp, or should i just wait until i replace the tubes to fix it?
Quote by ozi223
is this a microphonic preamp tube, or something else? and is a microphonic tube dangerous to the amp, or should i just wait until i replace the tubes to fix it?

Its most likely just noise from something in the room or from the wall socket. Try different sockets, and try unplugging other electronic devices in the room (TV, computer, etc.)

If you still get the noise after trying that a few different times then you probably have a microphonic preamp tube. Its not bad for the amp, but its annoying. A new 12AX7 will only cost you 10 or 15 bucks so I'd just replace it. The way to tell is to turn up the amp and tap each tube with the rubber eraser of a pencil. If you hear the 'tap' coming through the speakers that's your microphonic tube right there.

Quote by fly135
My Pro Jr does that and I just wack it on the top. One day I'll fix it.

Any idea what it is, or do you still have to track it down?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
get a noise gate pedal?
Quote by Rogue Hermit

You're a good man. I was waiting for somebody to step up with the obligatory "I come blood" reference.

Quote by guylee
goddammit. I'm going to bed. You win good sir.

Quote by stratguy335
Haha! You got the joke! You win a cookie.
Do noises really have colors? I'm lost man
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
i have changed my power source, the noise is still there, and even when i tap on the grill behind the amplifier i hear a pop through the speaker, so is is possible that all my preamp tubes are microphonic?
Quote by ozi223
i have changed my power source, the noise is still there, and even when i tap on the grill behind the amplifier i hear a pop through the speaker, so is is possible that all my preamp tubes are microphonic?

It's possible, but that logic is faulty. Just because you tap on something touching all the tubes does not mean that all the tubes are microphonic. Remove the grille and tap the tubes individually with the eraser.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by carr4600
get a noise gate pedal?

oh god -_-

And if the sound comes from the amp itself, wich seems to be the case here?
Try playing with your jacks, it could just be something that's loose. What happens if you lower the gain on your amp? It might just be because the gain is very high or something. Could also just be because of the emplacement of your amp. Try moving it further away from any elctronic appliances(computers, TV's, etc).
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Jul 31, 2010,