I put in an online app. For my local GC. today I got the call for an interview for tomorow. What should I expect from the interview? I realy want and need this job, so I don't wanna blow it.

WISH ME LUCK!!
Tell them you love teh Line 6 Spyderz.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by GuitarFreak1387
Ha ha ha, well I do like ibanez but I only love my prestige 7. Raven amps can go suck my nutz!

Don't tell them that, IIRC Raven amps are the store brand amps for them.
Quote by darkcheef
Don't tell them that, IIRC Raven amps are the store brand amps for them.

yeah I know they are the guitarcenter brand.
Play up your strength. Find a friend with experience and run over responses to typical job interview questions with them, get it nailed so you're not left scratching your head and thinking for a while and looking stupid.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I don't know but I'm assuming that you just need to be an easy-going, somewhat knowledgeable music guy.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Quote by transplants182
does Guitar Center pay by the hour or by commission?

commission I belive. Not 100% positive. I'm guessing that will be covered in the interview
My friend recently got a job there after one application which he forgot about...I put in three and I had to call them to let themknow I was interested.

They want people who are out going, can remember a lot about gear, every time they get new gear you have to educate your self on it.

They want sales men and women. You have to be willing to help people and show that you can bring money in.

He also said that you have to kinda not have a soul. You goal is to sell first and foremost.

show you are willing to help. and really emphasize while someone might not come in and buy something always be willing to enthusiastic to help out cause everyone is a potential customer. Especially young teens who don't look like they have a dime.
Last edited by Axim Bassist at Jul 27, 2010,
Quote by Gman400
I don't know but I'm assuming that you just need to be an easy-going, somewhat knowledgeable music guy.

My friend worked there and he had no idea about guitars, apparently the most important thing you need is the ability to talk to people and persuade them
Quote by transplants182
does Guitar Center pay by the hour or by commission?

Commission all the way!

I work a gc.com and goodness gracious that always causes problems.
I let you get away so cleanly.
there probably looking at how good of a sales man you'll be rather than how good you are
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Guitar Center where I live pays minimum wage plus commission. But to receive your commission pay you have to make more in commission than you do hourly. If you dont sell enough you only get hourly pay. If you sell a lot you get hourly pay plus 10% of that you sell.
wear something nice. Since it's guitar center, i dont think u have to wear a suit but i'm not 100% sure.

some tips for the interview
- know stuff about GC. They could ask like"What do u know about GC?" etc.
- might ask u why u want a job there
- maintain good eye contact (but dont have an eye staring contest with the interviewer tho)
- dont talk about salary, let them bring it up
- they might also ask if u have any questions about the job so prepare some questions to ask them
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
I've done two interviews at Guitar Center. So listen up! Hah.

In my experience, the first interview wasn't really even an interview. There were 10 potential employees interviewed at once by the manager. We had a casual discussion about music and what it takes to be a Guitar Center employee (passion for the subject, good communication skills) and asked random questions. These are by no means standard questions for the interview, he kind of just made them up.

The first thing we were asked to do was go around the semi-circle and tell us what our axe is, what we've done to it, and who our biggest inspiration is. Sell yourself; the way I did it was I said things like "I have a 2006 Ash body American Stratocaster, I love the thing... but I had a love:hate relationship with those Tex Mex pickups, and the Humbucker in the bridge wasn't really my favorite... so I ended up switching them out for an SSS set of Custom Shop '69s, I think they fit my style and the wood a lot better." Show them you know what you're talking about, or you won't get a 2nd interview.

He asked what wood the top of a a specific model Gibson dreadnaught acoustic was.

He also asked the scale length of a Les Paul and a Strat. (I hated myself for not memorizing this when he asked).

Anyway. The purpose of the first interview is to weed out the people who had no knowledge in the field of guitars/music equipment. There were about 4 or 5 people in there who just needed a job and had nothing to contribute to the conversation.

The 2nd interview was more personal, I had 1-1 with the manager. It was pretty chill, and I enjoyed it actually. Very relaxed conversation with the manager about music and work. I didn't get hired, I'm sure there was someone with more sales experience than me who got it.

Anyway, I hope this helped.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I've done two interviews at Guitar Center. So listen up! Hah.

In my experience, the first interview wasn't really even an interview. There were 10 potential employees interviewed at once by the manager. We had a casual discussion about music and what it takes to be a Guitar Center employee (passion for the subject, good communication skills) and asked random questions. These are by no means standard questions for the interview, he kind of just made them up.

The first thing we were asked to do was go around the semi-circle and tell us what our axe is, what we've done to it, and who our biggest inspiration is. Sell yourself; the way I did it was I said things like "I have a 2006 Ash body American Stratocaster, I love the thing... but I had a love:hate relationship with those Tex Mex pickups, and the Humbucker in the bridge wasn't really my favorite... so I ended up switching them out for an SSS set of Custom Shop '69s, I think they fit my style and the wood a lot better." Show them you know what you're talking about, or you won't get a 2nd interview.

He asked what wood the top of a a specific model Gibson dreadnaught acoustic was.

He also asked the scale length of a Les Paul and a Strat. (I hated myself for not memorizing this when he asked).

Anyway. The purpose of the first interview is to weed out the people who had no knowledge in the field of guitars/music equipment. There were about 4 or 5 people in there who just needed a job and had nothing to contribute to the conversation.

The 2nd interview was more personal, I had 1-1 with the manager. It was pretty chill, and I enjoyed it actually. Very relaxed conversation with the manager about music and work. I didn't get hired, I'm sure there was someone with more sales experience than me who got it.

Anyway, I hope this helped.

You so far have been the most help. THANKS!!
Well looks like they will be hiring in two weeks. Told me they will be doing call backs in a few weeks. So hopefully I get the call back!!!