I've been playing since not this christmas but the christmas before so like 1 and a half year, same time as my mate. He could play the intro bit to Scream by Avenged Sevenfold about 6 months ago, i probably practice more than him but i still cant bloody do it and i don't understand why.

Anyone care to explain why i'm still shit at guitar?
you've got to change that attitude hunny. The worst thing you can do it start comparing your self to other muscians although I'am guilty of it most of the time. There are some lucky buggers out there that can pick guitar up alot quicker than others, for the rest of us, there's alot of blood sweat and tears. I have a complete love hate realtionship with my guitar. One day I'm rocking the next I suck. Try a different style, go back to basics mabey. Helen
i hear you Mason!
i have been playing since January of this year, and my progress is definitely going slower than i would like. the best part is when i am trying to learn something, and i scan YouTube for anyone who is doing it as a cover, and i find a f^&king six year old who is playing it LOL
i am new to this site, have to look around and see if there are good threads on what we should be practicing.

keep positive, i am sure all guitar players experienced the frustration we are going through now.

jason
NEVER start with hard things. I had spent a year of my time trying to get that stupid canon rock song from youtube down. Start with easier catchy riffs. If you do that, you'll be playing things that still sound cool to you, but you're getting practice. I quit the canon rock and went on to playing other easier things. I've gotten so much better i could probobly take down canon rock within a few weeks.
The thing is i pick my guitar up everyday and i will play the things i know for abit then i will try something challenging, try it, try it again and over and over again i cant do it so i just get angry and give up i just dont feel like i have gotten anywhere in the past 3 months :/
Best thing to do is get a guitar teacher and start from basics and build up. This isn't what I did and I only just started learning scales properly about 6 month ago and I've been playing for over 2 years now. Even though I could play Bullet and Avenged songs, it's defo best to practice from scratch and learn all types of music. Not just one genre and same old things. Learn stuff like green day. That will get your powerchords working since that's all they do and to get your fingers working, working up different scales for a while up and down. The left hand isn't the most important so remember to practice well with your right.
Last edited by zakarai at Jul 27, 2010,
I personally got good at playing very quickly. The way I did it was having a passion for playing, rather than just trying to be better than everyone. Every second you lament the fact that someone's better than you, it's a second spent not practicing. But you really do have to put an enormous amount of practice in to get very good. The first couple of years, I played probably around eight hours per day.

Also, I never did that "start slow/small/easy and build up from there" bullshit. It's a waste of time. You'll never get REALLY good unless you are constantly pushing the boundaries of what you can play. You aren't gonna injure yourself by playing too fast (probably), so try to do stuff that is way too hard for you.
Yeah I just sat for hours trying to play the start of the fast solo in Master of Puppets and the Final Countdown solo and I sucked so bad. Then I after like 2-3 months I could play them fast then after like 3-4 months I learned Crazy Train Solo and made a video and thought it was so awesome. I found the video recently and it is pretty bad but I keep it to remind myself that I was once that bad and thought I was amazing.
Try figuring out what, specifically, it is about your playing that you don't like. Make a list. Then start going down the list and attacking each deficiency one by one.

Keep in mind that some deficiencies are more basic than others. For instance, rigidity in your muscles will keep you from building speed, so you may have to go back to the basics in some areas (e.g. reducing tension and getting comfortable) before tackling more advanced techniques (e.g. playing that Yngwie lick you've been working on)... but this is not a bad thing. Learning is an interative process. You will return to the basics with fresh eyes and ears many times as you progress as a guitarist and musician.

Enjoy the learning process instead of getting frustrated with it and you will be rewarded.
Quote by hellybelly
you've got to change that attitude hunny. The worst thing you can do it start comparing your self to other muscians although I'am guilty of it most of the time. There are some lucky buggers out there that can pick guitar up alot quicker than others, for the rest of us, there's alot of blood sweat and tears. I have a complete love hate realtionship with my guitar. One day I'm rocking the next I suck. Try a different style, go back to basics mabey. Helen

this.
get a teacher and learn the downright basics

best thing you can do
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
In Guitar Pro, select the part you want to practice and click the "played loop/speed trainer" button. Start out slowly and gradually speed things up.
First off, whenever you hit a stump there is one trick that every musician uses and it doesnt matter what instrument they're playing... Evaluate yourself and the situation. If you don't know how to do this then 1) Research Speed playing, finger economy/tension, basically learn everything you can from hand positions, to fretting styles, to hand tensions. 2) Start with songs and exercises you already know by heart and use the tips you find to help you out. Teach yourself to relax while you're playing and learning songs will become more and more just about memorizing notes than it will be "OMG My hand just wont do it"

Secondly, you need to take a break because you sound frustrated. People dont learn well when they're frustrated, doesn't matter what they're trying to learn. There is nothing wrong with comparing yourself to other guitarists IF you can learn to keep your head cool and use it to ignite an ambition in you. If you plan to join a band I recommend you try to at least learn to not let yourself get down when someone is better than you. But if you can't do that you need to look away and focus on something else that will keep you going rather than get you frustrated. Since you're frustrated atm, this would be a good time to take that break and do some research on the guitar. Sometimes finding new tricks that can help you will bring your mood up and make you want to get back to it, then when the tricks start to work it helps you drive on even further.

And last but not least... He's your friend, ask him for some help and advice. The more you two use your heads together, the faster you will improve.