I want just a tad more gain on my lead channel on highgain setting. Even though it says high gain it's not that that much. What should I do to add just a bit more gain?
an overdrive pedal will give you more gain, but I would look more into getting a new amp. the solid state xxl just isn't going to cut it
Seriously? The XXL doesn't have enough gain for you?

Quote by handbanana
an overdrive pedal will give you more gain, but I would look more into getting a new amp. the solid state xxl just isn't going to cut it

TS, solid state preamps sound horrible with a boost in front of them. Please don't.

I actually like the XXL quite a bit, for what it is (a budget metal amp). Can I ask you're eq-ing it? It should have plenty of gain on tap, but its hard to get it nice and liquidy.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Jul 27, 2010,
Are you sure its gain you're looking for?
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

TS, solid state preamps sound horrible with a boost in front of them. Please don't.

I actually like the XXL quite a bit, for what it is (a budget metal amp). Can I ask you're eq-ing it? It should have plenty of gain on tap, but its hard to get it nice and liquidy.

Plus 1. The XXL has boat loads of gain IIRC. What kind of guitar/pups do you have and what kind of music do you play? Do you have a combo or head.
Yea just a tad more fain. I'm not on the channel with huge gain. It's the one with only a decent amount of gain, idk the eq cuz I'm not home but highs an lows are rather high like 4 o'clock and mids are around 12.
I want a new amp, like a Mesa but they are expensive =\
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

+1 to all of this.

Quote by Katsock
Yea just a tad more gain. I'm not on the channel with huge gain. It's the one with only a decent amount of gain, idk the eq cuz I'm not home but highs an lows are rather high like 4 o'clock and mids are around 12.
I want a new amp, like a Mesa but they are expensive =\

So...you're using the crunch channel then? If the ultra channel has enough gain for you, then why not use it for the high gain stuff you're looking to play? That's what I do with my XXX....crunch channel is setup for lower gain and/or quieter stuff...ultra channel w/ a TS7 is my main channel. Either way, the crunch channel on the XXX still has boatloads of gain...and is a bit tighter, but a properly EQ'd ultra channel is great...and the tubescreamer tightens it up just fine for me.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jul 27, 2010,
I would be willing to bet you are using too many lows and highs. Try taking them down until there isn't enough, then slowly moving higher until you are using the minimum amount to get the desired sound. Adding un-needed bass and highs can make it sound ugly, and your brain may be attributing this to needing more gain. Remember, mids account for a lot of your lows and highs, those other two knobs are just to round off the edges. That is how you get tons of lows, tons of highs, but not harsh; mids.

What genre (specifically, don't just say 'metal') are you playing? Why not just switch to the high gain channel? The "clean" channel is only supposed to be able to get you a slight crunch at most. Thats something your going to simply have to deal with.

What you could do, is run the post high and use the rhythm channel to run a dirt box through it, like a modded MT-2 or something. Of course that is only if you don't like the voicing of the lead channel,
Yea I'm currently not liking the ultra channel. To buzzy

I'm using the lead channel on high gain with Max gain. Tue highs and lows aren't to high cuz on that channel they aren't that powerful. I was thinking like an ibanez tubescreamer or zakk wylde od, just as examples and suggestions I've heard
Oh and I play heavy music, like my range is senses fail-august burns red(I guess? Lol)
My XXL has stupid amounts of gain on the ultra and the crunch channels. That amp has lots of switches and knobs. Turn some of them besides the gain.
Thanks, sorry I made a typo, mistakes happen. And also all this is from my iPhone so auto corrects happen if I mess up
Quote by Katsock
Yea I'm currently not liking the ultra channel. To buzzy

Turn the gain down on the ultra channel...some of that buzz will disappear.
Apparently It is a word lol. Like if I typed fain which I did, it didn't correct to gain . My iPhone Aldo doesn't think .ate. Is a word
Quote by Katsock
Apparently It is a word lol. Like if I typed fain which I did, it didn't correct to gain . My iPhone Aldo doesn't think .ate. Is a word

But it thinks 'Aldo' is a name Stupid technology.
You ever think pf throwing an EQ in the loop? You could try to dial out the fizz. The danelectro fish n chips is cheap, $35 new. It's not uber responsive and only 7 bands+level, but doesn't really mess up your tone or anything.