So, I recently found John Butler... and He is astounding! I was wondering how I can tap like him... I'm talking about the intro to 'Ocean' by the way.

What is 'proper' technique? 'Cause I don't want to bugger up my fingers just pounding away on the fretboard. I'm not into thrash metal tapping or any crap like that... I want John Butler style 'bass and melody' tapping.

Also, is there any special set-up for my guitar?

Thanks a lot,
Mind-wanderer
His playing style is really a combination of open-tunings and practice. Just play the notes with you'r right hand (if it's a right handed guitar) like normal hammer ons!

EDIT: Low action would also help!
FEED ME MATHCORE

Quote by sashki

I also speak German, except no-one gives a shit.

GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE, AWAKE WHEN THE SUN HITS THE SKY
Last edited by Dudeman5000 at Jul 27, 2010,
Quote by Dudeman5000
His playing style is really a combination of open-tunings and practice. Just play the notes with you'r right hand (if it's a right handed guitar) like normal hammer ons!

EDIT: Low action would also help!

Okay. Also, I can just put a capo up around 5th or 7th fret and that'll get the strings real low.

Anyone else? Have any persoanl experience? Tips, advice?
Just start off slowly, your brain needs a while to get used to playing two things at once (unless you have a background in piano, harp ect)! Duelling ninjas and Cannon by Trace Bundy are good starting points for this style, and they're both tuned in DADGAD, a popular tuning for fingerstyle artists!
FEED ME MATHCORE

Quote by sashki

I also speak German, except no-one gives a shit.

GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE, AWAKE WHEN THE SUN HITS THE SKY
Thanks! I've decided that a decent way to learn, would be to write a song in that style and just play it as I write... one step at a time. I've got the beginning of the song, it's just some right and left hand tapping (two finger tapping left hand, one finger tapping right hand) as well as rhythm with the right hand (tapping guitar body).

I'll try and develope it over a few days then post it. But my fingers are already killing me :S