Many people are looking for the quintessential 335 Tone, however the majority of people don't want to pay through the nose for it from the likes of Gibson or other companies.

I had the same dilemma a few years ago, and considered many things. First was the Epiphone Dot, however shoddy build quality swayed me away. The Sheraton also looked appealing, but I thought that I could get something a little more in the way of quality for the same price...

I eventually ended up buying a Hagstrom Viking, and there are many reasons for this. One of which, and quite wrong I must admit, the looks of the thing instantly attracted me. I was recommended to it by a friend and then the sound blew me away, so much sweeter than a Les Paul, yet unlike some 335's the Hagstrom could rock too! The feel is an acquired taste however. An extremely slim neck is not to everyones favour, but I didn't find a problem getting used to it.

Here is a link to a video of my Hagstrom Viking, hope this post helps any undecided people out there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwbqFQNsfjo
Dude, you posted this link already today on another thread, haven't you got anything more important to worry about than YouTube hits?!!!
Last edited by dweb23 at Jul 27, 2010,
I've never tried one. I bet they're nice though! I owned a Dot, and they are quite nice for the money. Nowhere near Gibson quality, but they still get a rich tone.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Quote by dweb23
Dude, you posted this link already today on another thread, haven't you got anything more important to worry about than YouTube hits?!!!

Somebody is grumpy... If the man wants to show off and discuss his guitar, why can't he?This is an electric guitar forum after all.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Quote by The3818919
Somebody is grumpy... If the man wants to show off and discuss his guitar, why can't he?This is an electric guitar forum after all.

No I am not grumpy and while I understand what you saying, he should have posted it in the thread he made previously, instead of clearly canvassing for YouTube hits. I'm not saying it's a bad video cuz I enjoyed it.... The first time!!!!
I'm sorry you feel that way dweb23, I'm new to forums and I'm just trying to offer some advice to others who maybe thinking about purchasing a 335-style guitar.

The specific Dot that I tried had very stiff pots and the finish wasn't great, however I suppose some of the changable parts may not sway people considering there great price!
Epiphone's quality control is really all over the place. If you switch out the parts one the dots, then they can make for some really nice guitars actually.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

Yeah I owned an Epiphone SG for a while but sold it for my beloved Fender Telecaster. However in my experience I would recommend Tokai products over Epiphone.
Quote by DanHawkes
I'm sorry you feel that way dweb23, I'm new to forums and I'm just trying to offer some advice to others who maybe thinking about purchasing a 335-style guitar.

The specific Dot that I tried had very stiff pots and the finish wasn't great, however I suppose some of the changable parts may not sway people considering there great price!

Don't worry bout it, apologies, threads like those I was mentioning annoy me,
I've never tried a Viking, but the Ibanez AS-103 is a very well made 335 style guitar, I went for a Gibson anyways, but my friends 103 almost convinced me to get one
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
I like the idea of this thread, really. I've been looking for a semi-hollow body for a while and I like the es-335 look, but I went and played a bunch of dots and artcores and was sorely dissappointed. I've been looking into the hagstroms too, though.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"