Hey UG
I have my eyes set on a Blackstar HT-5, but how does a Crate V18 amp compare to it?
I want my amp to play modern metal, such as A7x or Disturbed, therefore i know i will need to invest in pedals.
How well does the Crate take pedals?
Are there any other Crate amps i should look at in the low wattage kind of area?
Obviously 18w will be better for playing over a drummer, but my drummer uses an electric kit, so it doesnt bother me too much, but which would give the best tone over a drummer?
No music shops near me stock these amps, so i cannot try them, and i would have to order, so I'm relying on you
Thanks all
Tom
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
the crate is one channel. not really voiced for metal but there are mods that can be done to it. it takes pedals well. the stock speaker sucks ass.

the ht5 has more modern gain, more towards metal than the classic rock. not going to stay clean over a drummer but neither will the crate really.

the ht5 will struggle with drums but if connected to a good cab will have a chance. the v18 with a speaker swap will sound great with drums. not overly loud but in it's sweet spot.

ht5 has 2 channels and a loop, neither of which exist on the v18.

Edit: look for a crate vintage club 3112. or a palomino v32. used they go for around $250-350 and are worth every penny. the crate VC3112t has a tone tubby speaker, which is a friggin great speaker. both are discontinued so you would have to look used.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 27, 2010,
Thanks man
Great advice
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!