I've been goin absolutely overboard listening to the white stripes lately, which in turn caused me to listen to a lot of blues, jazz, etc...

anyways, as the title says, i'm going to be taking the plunge and actually picking up my slide more and really am going to focus on mastering it. I have to admit, I'm rusty though.

I've played for about 10 years, so I definitely know my way around a guitar, but when it comes to playing with a slide... not so much. I tried searchin through the forums here without having to post, but came up with little luck. Ideally, the tune I've been gearing most to play is "Death Letter", or even "Catch Hell Blues" by the White Stripes, and neither sound too too nuts, just basically getting used to it.

Does any one have any sites, or info that they can provide for a good initial practice regime? Seeing as I'm fairly limited in how often I've used one, even beginner stuff would be useful. Even if it's extremely mickey mouse, and I don't need it, at least its there for the next one! Any thing would really be handy, especially tunes to listen to/play along with. Thanks!

PS.... if you really can't think of anything, just post your favourite breakfast cereal Least that way you didn't read all/some/none of this for nothing haha
tried using a slide myself, found it them ost tedious thing on earth so gave it to my mate who just uses it as a prison for lego men (small things amuse small minds eh) but if you want music that will help, david gilmour sometimes used slides... also robbie mcintosh is a renowned 'slider' sorry i couldn't be more help

but frosties with raisins is my favourite cereal mmmmmmmmmmm TASTY!
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
i got better at slide basically by just playing slide more. if there are days where im tired or my hands feel stiff or whatever, ill play slide. not onl that, but i would just force myself to do it more. ive played it a lot though for more melodic stuff. like if im doing a slow song that i want the solo to be more about milking a melody, ill use slide because you get better vibrato and it sounds more like a voice.

so i dont know about practice routines, but for me i just played. maybe when you are practicing or jamming, just say to yourself that you are gunna play slide for 20 mins no matter what and just do it. i hear duane allman basically did the same forcing himself to play. only he did it at shows lol. but it eventually went from people going "oh great, hes playing that thing again" to them liking it a lot and now hes known for it.

so just keep playing.
I have a Jim Dunlop glass slide, but i've always been too lazy to actually learn how to use it properly... I only bought it to play A Perfec Circle's "Judith". :p
But you just motivated me to look into it!

Btw, my favourite breakfast cereal is "Lion", by Nestlé.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Dempsey68
tried using a slide myself, found it them ost tedious thing on earth so gave it to my mate who just uses it as a prison for lego men (small things amuse small minds eh) but if you want music that will help, david gilmour sometimes used slides... also robbie mcintosh is a renowned 'slider' sorry i couldn't be more help

but frosties with raisins is my favourite cereal mmmmmmmmmmm TASTY!

Haha a prison for Lego men love it!

Coco sheddies!!
Last edited by dweb23 at Jul 27, 2010,
i've had trouble playing but i just sorta started getting good at it (in my book). just jam with stuff in your room and have fun. i use my fingers over a pick when playing slide because there is more control, and because i use my ring finger, i like to keep my first two fingers down on the strings because it feels more solid. really, all you have to do is jam along to some stuff, especially the slow stuff.
I like busting out the nice open tunings for slide. It would be nice to have a guitar always set up in a certain tuning instead of going back and forth.

My favorite cereal will always be Reese's Puffs. Its Reese's, for breakfast.
nice, thanks for the input all! i kinda figured it is just one of those things where you just have to do it, which is what I've mostly been doing, but just wasn't sure if there was any sorta excercises or real basic tunes to learn.

and for the record....

Cocoa Puffs FTW
I tried once, got pretty good fast. Try it and play around. The problem is you have to be in an open tuning to really DO a whole song with a slide.
Try the slide on different fingers. You have to dampen the strings a lot if you want to sound clean.
Try Evil on my mind by Johnny Winter its nice to sing along
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXjGLKsHwCI (I can't find one performed by Johnny..the lyrics are great)

or some Eric Sardinas stuff

I don't eat breakfast.
I build cigar-box guitars (my main axe in that department is a resonator guitar) and most all of them are played with the slide. So, I've been working on my chops for a while.
I just built a dedicated six-string electric for slide playing with heavy strings and a rather high action.
There is so much stuff you can listen to.... Youtube will furnish literally dozens of classic blues recordings, and slide licks are easy to "steal" as you can see what's going on pretty well.
There are quite a lot of dedicated sites as well; here's one with transcriptions of a number of classic tunes:
http://www.slidingzone.de/slidingzone.html

He has a complete transcription of Johnny Winter's "Dallas" which has both slide techniques and fingered chords incorporated; it's a good workout.
The American Blues Masters series of recordings has a least two "slide guitar masters" CDs.

Have fun. Remember to use one finger to "damp" the strings behind the slide.
Oh...Sonny Landreth. Plays remarkable stuff.