Sorry if these are stupid questions, I just learnt about harmonizing yesterday.

So I know that to harmonize and play a fifth I would play the fifth note from the root in the scale. Is that with all scales/keys?

Also, can I harmonize with other notes? likes seconds and sixths? it seems that thirds and fifths are used mainly, (probably cause those are the mediant and dominant)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
You're plugging an interface into an interface...

Interfaception

Pls tell me what is Interfaception. and how to solve.

Last edited by Slapp62 at Jul 27, 2010,
everything will sound cool but 7ths and 2nds cause they are just half or full steps off
Yes. You can harmonize with any interval in the scale.

Lets take the C major scale: C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C

Say you want to harmonize the second degree, E, with a third. In this case, the third of E is G. Or you want to harmonize the fifth degree, G, with a fifth. Then you would use a D.

Hope that helps.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Generally major scales sound better when harmonized with the 4ths or 5ths, where as minor scales will sound better harmonized on 3rds.
I'm a musician/composer before I'm a guitar player.

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.
Yes you can. For example, seconds are used in sus2 and add9 chords, and sixths are used in sixth and diminished seventh chords.
Quote by Slapp62
Sorry if these are stupid questions, I just learnt about harmonizing yesterday.

So I know that to harmonize and play a fifth I would play the fifth note from the root in the scale. Is that with all scales/keys?

Also, can I harmonize with other notes? likes seconds and sixths? it seems that thirds and fifths are used mainly, (probably cause those are the mediant and dominant)

It's also a common voice leading practice--which is how I was taught harmony--to avoid back-to-back parallel perfect 4ths/5ths/and octaves because you'll get a "chinese" type sound (sorry can't really describe it better then that).

In order to avoid the parallel perfects dilemma I've always used major/minor 3rds or major/minor 6ths...

You should use inverted chords in order to guarantee smooth transitions between chords, and I always try to keep it simple when I'm harmonizing more than 2 melody lines
Thirds and fifths are generally used because they're more stable than any other interval I believe. Sixths, however, are the inversion of a third. So if you're harmonizing in sixths, you're technically harmonizing in thirds. Just depends on how you think about it.
can u also harmonize with non-diatonic notes?
Quote:

Interfaception

Quote by Slapp62
can u also harmonize with non-diatonic notes?

Yes. But they will sound pretty dissonant.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
K. Thanks for everything.
Quote:

Interfaception

Quote by rockingamer2
Yes. But they will sound pretty dissonant.

not all the time... its going to depend on the other tones you use...
dominant 7th chord has a b7

or really if you harmonize a 1 to a minor 6 its just an inverted 3rd
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Quote by Angusman60
not all the time... its going to depend on the other tones you use...
dominant 7th chord has a b7

or really if you harmonize a 1 to a minor 6 its just an inverted 3rd

It's true that a Dominant 7th chord has a b7 in it, but a Dom 7th chord is typically used on the V in a major key, and that b7 note happens to fit into your scale.

G7 has the notes G, B, D, and F, all of which fit into the C Major scale, the scale that G happens to be the V of.
If there's s chord progression underlying the melody that you're harmonizing, use the notes in the chord as a guide. Then you could use in some notes in between for movement in flavour. If not you can use a series of notes to imply a chord.

For example: if one guitar is playing a B harmonize it with a G (a flat 6th interval), followed by an F# (perfect 5th), to an E (4th).Here you've implied an Em chord, while using a b6th interval that has minor scale characteristics, and used a F# as movement between the G and E while harmonizing with the very consonant perfect 5th, back to the root of the chord E.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?