I have a tascam portastudio dp-02. I'm using an unidentified akg mic i took from my dad and going direct into the input with my acoustic guitar. The mic doesn't pic up much unless I turn up the gain nearly all the way, which causes hissing. How can I fix this?

here's a link to two recorded songs, as I don't have any original files to upload.

http://www.myspace.com/adamrandallacoustic

Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, as if you're going DI with the acoustic guitar then no mic is needed. However, when micing instruments it is crucially important that you know what mic you're using and what kind it is. Furthermore, depending on what interface you are using, you may need to use a mic preamp because mic levels (what comes through the mic) and line levels (what moves through a console / recording unit) are VERY different. You can actually do some real damage if they aren't matched up. I would check what kind of mic you're using and do some research on it. Also, just as a helpful mic tip, try pointing the mic at where the fretboard meets the body of the guitar, rather than directly at the sound hole if that's what you're already doing.
I meant on vocals. Guitar is DI.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
On vocals, most of what I said still applies. The mic level may not be being boosted up to line level which would create massive problems. Also, you may not have a mic that is suited for vocal performance, or the mic that you're using may have a polar pattern that is canceling out sound from the direction you're singing at. There should be a diagram somewhere on the mic telling you what kind of polar pattern you're using, and your positioning may be the problem. I would do your best (ask your dad?) to find out what kind of mic you are using, as the mic itself may be the problem.
I would make sure that your recording unit has a mic preamp in it. Most do, but you can never be sure. Also, make sure the mic itself is working. Have you tried it live?
I just googled it and apparently people with that portastudio have issues with the weak mic preamp.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
I don't have enough room anywhere for a preamp either.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
I'm really in need of help. This thing was a few hundred bucks and i'm not getting "CD quality recording." Just twangy guitar and okay vocals with unwanted hiss and button clicks.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
*cough*
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Anything i can do without a preamp?
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Without a preamp, your mic signal will always be very very weak. Not much you can do. They do make cheap ones, but otherwise you're pretty stuck. The mic actually won't work without a pre.
And also, CD quality recording is going to be difficult with a portable recording system that only cost a few hundred bucks. At best it should be good for demoing songs while you wait to get into a real studio. CD quality recording, unless you're a mixing master, or are looking for that "garagey" sound, is going to to cost a lot more than a few hundred bucks.