Today I bought a used Peavey Windsor Studio from GC. Price was right, so I took a chance on it. It worked when I tried it out there. However, I got it home and for some reason can't get any output! The amp turns on fine, but there is no output. I tried a different speaker, but no dice and have continued to fiddle with the Attenuator, Preamp, and Master controls and tried both input jacks and can't get anything. also tried different guitars and cables. The preamp tube is lighting up but I can't see the power amp tube because of where it is. Standby is on too, guitar volume is up. Boost switch has no effect.

I'm stumped. there is no sound (pops or anything) when switched on or off. I'm probably going to take it back, but before that happens, anyone have any ideas or things I'm missing?

EDIT: Also tried running something through the effects loop, turning the loop on and off with a footswitch... nothing. I'm kinda leaning towards power tube, even though it hasn't blown a fuse but I'm not sure how to get at it.
Last edited by CJRocker at Jul 27, 2010,
Looks like the power tube is behind the grating for the attenuator thing... I assume I just unscrew that and it comes out to get at the power and other preamp tube then. I'll see how it goes.
do not turn the tube, they pull out, not turn out.

and I would take it right back to guitar center. If I bought an amp from there that broke when I got home with it i'd be furious. Take it back, and make them fix it for free, or give you your money back. Usually when theres no output it means the output transformer is blown, if thats the case than a new transformer will literally cost more than the whole amp itself.
Quote by handbanana
do not turn the tube, they pull out, not turn out.

and I would take it right back to guitar center. If I bought an amp from there that broke when I got home with it i'd be furious. Take it back, and make them fix it for free, or give you your money back. Usually when theres no output it means the output transformer is blown, if thats the case than a new transformer will literally cost more than the whole amp itself.

I meant unscrewing the screws holding up the grating/attenuator around the tube. I also plan to just return it or maybe offer for them to make it right if I feel it's the tubes. If the tubes look good, I'm not going to play games. Thing can't be more than two years old and if it alright needs an output transformer I'm sure as hell don't want to have it another two years.
i wouldn't have bought a windsor in the first place, horribly built amps. return it at get something else. I like peavey, but the windsor is just a huge embarrassment
A transformer is not the most likely culprit of no sound coming out. TS, did you try what 311 said? Make sure all tubes are properly seated and lighting up.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
the transformer would actually be the least likely candidate in most situations. along with the fuse.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by handbanana
I like peavey, but the windsor is just a huge embarrassment

OK...we get it. You were bad touched by a Windsor once...stop trying to force your experience on others. As you seen in the other thread...there are plenty of people here who have played a Windsor and realize what they're capable of. What makes you think a Windsor is a horribly built amp?

TS: did you get those power tubes checked out yet?

EDIT:

^ +1 Head and combo...different sounding amps altogether.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jul 27, 2010,
i told you, i literally watched a windsor blow up in front of my own eyes. and upon trying a completely different one, was comepletely unimpressed by every aspect of the amp. Just saying, it would be worth getting a valveking for pretty much the same price. The VK isn't anything amazing, but definitely better than the windsor imo
I have a friend with two Windsors and we've never had a problem with either one since they came out. They've been gigged dozens of times. The Windsor is a very nice amp for the price, if a bit bright IMO, especially with the stock cab. It would be a great modding platform.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I got the attenuator housing off and looked at the power tube slot. the tube was mostly out. Did this hurt the amp in anyway? Pushed it in and still no output. Tried one of my own tubes and still nothing. Now I'm pissed, this thing is going back.
If the tube was mostly out then my guess is it came loose during transport from store to home.

Everyone, anytime you transport a tube amp it is always a good idea to make sure the power tubes are seated all the way down before powering up, especially if they do not have tube retainers and the tubes face down.

Yes it can damage your amp. I don't see how this is the stores fault.
There are multiple power tubes, make sure they're all in all of the way. Make sure the speaker is connected to the amp's output. Lots can happen when moving an amp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
There are multiple power tubes, make sure they're all in all of the way. Make sure the speaker is connected to the amp's output. Lots can happen when moving an amp.

Nah, only one power tube in the Windsor.

Yes it can damage your amp. I don't see how this is the stores fault.

True... dammit dammit dammit

EDIT: Yep, Windsor studio.
Quote by forsaknazrael
9 times out of 10 (with the exception of boogerahz lulz) when an amp "blows up" it's the owner's fault.

not arguing that it wasn't his fault, cause it very may well have been, but it only annoyed me cause the amp was only a week old when it happened

It's actually fixed now and works fine, peavey fixed the amp free of charge since it was under warranty. He would probably sell it for $100

I played one next to a valveking and the valveking had more bite to it, just saying its a better alternative for around the same price. I saw a VK 100 Watt 2x12 for sale for $175 on my local CL, pretty stellar deal if you ask me
Quote by mmolteratx

^if this is the Windsor Studio combo, like I think it is, then it has 1 - EL34.

Edit:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Windsor-Studio-20W-1x12-Tube-Combo-Amp-481660-i1386608.gc
I didn't realize the Studio was an SE amp. Cool. Make sure the two preamp tubes are in and lighting up as well then. The speaker connection coming loose is also a possibility.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

This gets weirder... the amp was just sitting there and the preamp tube fell out. It was just... sitting, and fell out even after pushing them in and making sure they were tight after laying the amp on it's side to change tubes. But the tubes shouldn't be FALLING OUT of sockets. Never quite heard of that, though I'm not really sure why it would be. Is it the tubes or sockets?

EDIT: No stomping around either. I had just turned it up, pushed the tube in the slot and it had been sitting maybe 10 minutes.

EDIT: Turned up as in... sitting up. Sorry for not being clear.
The tube socket could have been damaged during transport.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
The tube socket could have been damaged during transport.

+1

At this point though things do seem strange. Preamp tubes should not just fall out. Can you take some pictures? If you feel comfortable you can try prying a few pins ever so gently outward. This will provide more pressure once in the socket.

This might help:

http://s545.photobucket.com/albums/hh384/buckethead_311/Amp%20stuff/?action=view&current=Microphonicpreamptube.flv

Honestly, I'd take it back.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 27, 2010,
I would say just don't mess with it anymore and t it back to guitar center, if its within 30 days they will take it back no questions asked. They actually have a pretty good return policy, its one of the few good things about guitar center.
Gc is very love/hate for me
Sorry for the delayed response... wound up loosing my pc and needing to buy a new one. Anyway, they took it back without issue after explaining things.