Been recording some things today and no matter how I tried to get a good sound I failed, and now I came to think about this, since I've heard that you should have a certain space between your strings and your pickups to get the best possible tone. How much should I adjust, and how much space do you think I should have?

They're passive humbuckers JB/59 if that could be to any help

Thank you!
You adjust the height turning either clockwise or counter-clockwise the two screws on either side of the humbucker (not the ones near the corners of the ring).

Usually the height comes to preference. If you raise the humbucker too much, the magnetic pull from the pickups will affect the string's vibrations, killing the sustain or even muting it. Set the pickup too far away and it will barely pick up the vibrations from the string. You should adjust it yourself and play around until you find a balance, or set it down to your taste. Remember how tone is subjective.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Schecter C-1+ with SD '59/Custom 5
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Last edited by cxrlxscr at Jul 27, 2010,
Quote by cxrlxscr
You adjust the height turning either clockwise or counter-clockwise the two screws on either side of the humbucker (not the ones near the corners of the ring).

Usually the height comes to preference. If you raise the humbucker too much, the magnetic pull from the pickups will affect the string's vibrations, killing the sustain or even muting it. Set the pickup too far away and it will barely pick up the vibrations from the string. You should adjust it yourself and play around until you find a balance, or set it down to your taste. Remember how tone is subjective.

Good post, I'll try and see what happens. Hopefully it changes to the better
Quote by Jackamedmos
What do you feel that your tone is lacking?

I'd say clarity, it get's pretty messy and undefined when you play faster riffs. Could also be that I maybe use too light strings as well, but changing the pickup height might make it all better, not perfect, but better..
Could just be your technique. Might also be your EQ settings and/or your amplifier. What kind of rig are you using?
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Lowering pickups usually increases clarity.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X