i'm a college student majoring in music education, and we have to do voice classes based around being able to sing in a way that helps when teaching little kids. a lot of it is in relatively high keys for most male voices, mine included. i'm pretty good at belting high notes (i have a "theater voice" ) up to a tenor-range A, but obviously an an obnoxiously loud voice isn't much use in the context of a general music classroom.

my vocal coach always tells me, and others, about using a "mixed voice" to combine some of the full voice's power/breath support with the bottom part of the falsetto range. i have a lot of trouble getting any power into my lower falsetto, though, and i think it's because i don't really understand the concept of a "mixed voice." i can do, like, Rob Halford shrieking type stuff and get pretty good breath support for my high falsettos, but around where it makes sense for me to transition from full voice into a "mix" my volume and power drop off significantly.

what am i missing about using the mixed voice? is there any technique i could practice to help improve my transition into falsetto and make it smoother?
We have done something of the same sort in our Aural skills classes. What helped me was just transitioning. Sing scales up and down and figure out what gap is between your falsetto and full voices. As for getting more power try to sing from your stomach while doing so...doing that pushing the air out more. I'm a guitar major that sings on the side so i don't know a lot of things but this is just what i've learned from personal experience.
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
My degree is in music and I have a B. Ed. I have been teaching in the school system for almost 15 years. I spent ten years learning proper vocal technique.

Here are my thoughts...

1. You can sing down an octave. The kids *will* find the octave that works best for them and sing there.

2. What I do is sing in my full voice anyways... if I can reach it. Sure, it's loud, but is that really a problem? By singing properly, you are modelling what it sounds like to actually *sing.* Listen to kids sing - especially when they perform at talent shows and stuff. Two-thirds of them whisper the song from their throats, because they think that's how you sing. They think that's how you sing because everyone who teaches them does it too. You're not going to teach them full-on proper technique, really. They don't have that kind of attention span, nor the commitment to the craft required to learn it, but they can get some basics.

Really, I believe that modelling proper singing - and what it *sounds* like to sing properly - is one of the best things you can do with them if you want them to learn how to sing too.

Otherwise, you'll sing in some weak semi-falsetto because you're self-conscious, or for whatever other reason, you don't sing too loudly.... and so will they. And they'll come back here asking for advice and post one of those "what's wrong with my voice" threads.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.