Hey fellas, I need some input on picking out new pickups for my Epi Goth Explorer.

I bought the thing cheap with the intention of changing the pickups from the start, because I play a lot of Scorpions and other classic/80s rock and the pickups that come with it are kinda muddy for my taste and obviously geared toward metal. My other cheap guitars all have EMG actives and that was the original plan, but after playing with it for a month or two I've really come to appreciate how much that massive slab of mahogany affects the tone of the guitar, and it would be a shame to erase that by switching to actives.

So, I've decided to go with passives for this one, and I'm wondering if Gibson's Explorer pickups sound any better or are any more suited to my tastes in music than the original Epiphone pickups. Should I look into EMG's passive lines? Where should I look for passive pickups that would help give an Explorer a good Scorps tone?
Gibson pickups sound way better than Epiphone pickups.

They also cost way too much (imo).

I'd look into SD's if I were you. For some reason, SD's just seem like they'd go into a Mahogany Epi well.

What amp are you playing through?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Seymour Duncan makes one that's like an overwound PAF I think its called the Pearly Gates, that would work in the neck, Go JB in the bridge, or maybe an Invader if you need the heat.
^ I wouldn't put an Invader in. They get really muddy, really fast. Probably faster in mahogany than other woods since it's so dark and warm already.

They do look really freaking cool though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

What amp are you playing through?

I have a Marshall MG100HDFX and a Chinese-built Hiwatt Custom 20 tube combo. Both are run through a Marshall 4x10 cab.
I dunno about the Hiwatt, but new pickups won't make a significant difference with the MG.

Maybe a pearly gates in the neck and a Custom 5 in the bridge for extra bite. (God I think this is the 4th time I've recommended the Custom 5 in the past week)