Since I didn't have any luck in the Guitar Gear forum, I will go to the Acoustic Guitars and ask the same question...

Alright, so I will start off by saying I have absolutely no knowledge about amps.

That being said, I own a Yamaha with a built in pick-up. I've been thinking of getting an amp, so I can be heard during jam sessions. Also, I am thinking of performing with a band, sometime in the future, so I would need an amp that would be suitable for this.

I will probably be getting a Seagull guitar as my next guitar, and the type of music I play is rock, indie, alt, etc. I mostly strum.

My price range, hmm, would be anything less than $500... even if you suggestion something about $600, if I like the sound of it, I could probably buy a used one within my price range.

So what would be a good amp for me? Just tell me if you need any more information. Thank's in advance!l
Genz Benz, Crate, & Hartke all make wonderful acoustic amps.

I own a 60W Genz Benz amp that has served me very well for the past 2 years. I haven't had any issues with it, and I've been capable of getting very good sounds of it, both vocally and guitar-wise.

I've demoed a Hartke acoustic amp in the store I work in, and I've got to say it produced hands down the best acoustic guitar sound I've ever heard out of an amp. The XLR input left a little bit to be desired, but the guitar was completely phenomenal.

Crate also makes very high quality acoustic amps, but I have little experience with anything more than their 15W Cimmaron.

If all else fails, you can always get a bass amp, or even a keyboard amp. They work rather well with acoustic guitars (much better than electric guitar amps at least). But it also has to be said that they absolute best way to get a good sound out of a plugged in guitar is with a PA system. While I understand you're just looking into jam sessions right now, you might consider getting a cheaper amp for now, and saving up for a good PA system for down the road. It would benefit, and make your more desireable, to a band as well as give you an advantage if you decide to do solo things or begin hosting open mic nights.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
Don't think you need to buy an acoustic amp for an acoustic guitar. You can play it through any amp. It completely depends on what tone you're looking for to go with your guitar. I've always suggested bringing your guitar to a store and trying out the amps they have to offer. It's about finding the one that you enjoy most and compliments your guitar well.
I have Marshall AS50D Soloist acoustic amp. Its a good unit, has a decent sound and 50Watts is plenty for my needs (playing indoors for my own enjoyment). Stay away from electric guitar amps, they do not work good with acoustic electric guitars, bass amps are meant to work at lower frequencies so they will muddy up your sound as well. Keyboard amps will work out ok as long as you have designated EQ pedal so you can get it to sound like you want it to. There are a lot of good choices, i didn't want to spend ton of cash, my Marshall was around $400 out of the door. Take guitar with you and play through as many as you can and get the one you really like. Go for at least two channel and minimum 50W if you're going to be playing in the band. I would say you might want something like 100W, better to have more and need it, then the other way around. That Carvin amp is good but I have found a lot of negative posts on it on the net, google it. Mostly it was about it being unreliable. That is why I went with Marshall, most folks have used it for few years or more without a lot of issues. Sorry for the long post but choices out there are unlimited.
Quote by iband48
Genz Benz, Crate, & Hartke all make wonderful acoustic amps.

I own a 60W Genz Benz amp that has served me very well for the past 2 years. I haven't had any issues with it, and I've been capable of getting very good sounds of it, both vocally and guitar-wise.

I've demoed a Hartke acoustic amp in the store I work in, and I've got to say it produced hands down the best acoustic guitar sound I've ever heard out of an amp. The XLR input left a little bit to be desired, but the guitar was completely phenomenal.

Crate also makes very high quality acoustic amps, but I have little experience with anything more than their 15W Cimmaron.

If all else fails, you can always get a bass amp, or even a keyboard amp. They work rather well with acoustic guitars (much better than electric guitar amps at least). But it also has to be said that they absolute best way to get a good sound out of a plugged in guitar is with a PA system. While I understand you're just looking into jam sessions right now, you might consider getting a cheaper amp for now, and saving up for a good PA system for down the road. It would benefit, and make your more desireable, to a band as well as give you an advantage if you decide to do solo things or begin hosting open mic nights.

I've taken some interest in the Crate acoustic amps. I checked out their other acoustic models, the next one up from the 15W is 60W, then up to 120W, then 125W. The 120W fits just into my price range - http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?P_ID=10547&strPageHistory=search&strKeywords=Crate,Guitar,Amps&numPageStartPosition=1&strSearchCriteria=all&PT_ID=all

I tried finding some reviews on the net, and I've only found a small few, but they have all been positive. I guess my main concern is if I'll be heard when/if I ever do play at concerts (with 100 or so people) at like local bars of something.

What was your experience with the Cimarron? Do you think the sound is just as nice as the guitar is unplugged?