So, over the course of 2 years, and lurking this forum, project guitar's forums, and just custom builders in general, I have finally decided to actually go through with building one of my "dream" guitars (Maybe my pure dream guitar). With me finally having a job and such, I feel like I can finally fund such an endeavor, and I hope that I'll be rewarded and will contribute something truely unique to this section of the forum .

So, I will be using this thread to document, ask questions, and the like. I've done quite a bit of research into doing this, and I have found out recently that a friend of mine has a woodshop I would be able to use, which really does help because I have almost no tools to really do this job at my house.

Now, for specs:
Body Shape: PRS
Body Wood: Kauri Wood
Top Wood: I'd love inputs on this one. I want something that can be finished, but looks quite stellar. I don't think I'll want the typical flamed/quilted maple. So I think I'll probably be going with Maple Burl. Suggestions are welcome!
Neck Wood: Goncalo Alves
Fretboard Wood: Brazilian Rosewood
Neck Construction: Set neck
Neck Radius: 12"
2 Humbuckers
Gold Hardware
PRS Tremolo
(Possibly) custom tuners
Finish: Very thin Nitrocellulose

Okay, the theme I plan to do with this guitar is a mayan theme. I've always been intrigued by the mayan culture, and any other native american/meso-american cultures. Being half Native American myself, I figured it would be a worthy tribute. One idea for the paint job of this guitar is going to maybe be a complete mayan painting.

Example:

Just to give you an idea. The inlays will also be mayan theme, so anything y'all can give toward that theme would be pretty sweet.

Cheers!
For the inlays, stars could work. Mayan's based ALOT off the the solar system and planets and space. Also, a sun could work. A complete inlay of the Mayan "Feathered Serpent" sun god, Quetzalcoatl would be bad-A.
fficial%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D569%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1&ei=lF9QTPTKL4L68Aa825W-AQ">Quetzalcoatl

Something related to him near the 12th fret, and then feathers for the others would work, or suns, or stars ha.

You could also try just basic Mayan writing symbols, since most of them were already square, weren't they? Take a square inlay piece, and simply cut or saw the lines into them to make the symbol.

fficial%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D569%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=732&vpy=72&dur=7991&hovh=200&hovw=252&tx=138&ty=89&ei=ZmBQTNyCJsSAlAe-vonMCQ&page=1&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0">Symbols

Some of those wouldn't be too bad. Cut the pattern into a square inlay with an exacto knife (it'd have to be plastic, I know) and then ink-wash them to make it stand out.

For the body, incorporating one of the stories into the paint would be amazing.

There are so many interesting things that could be included.

Also: I think the headstock should be shaped like this haha:

fficial%26gbv%3D2%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D569%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1">Head-Headstock

Is yours going to be thinline, like the pictured?
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Last edited by Tone Deaf at Jul 28, 2010,
Quote by Tone Deaf
For the inlays, stars could work. Mayan's based ALOT off the the solar system and planets and space. Also, a sun could work. A complete inlay of the Mayan "Feathered Serpent" sun god, Quetzalcoatl would be bad-A.
fficial%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D569%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1&ei=lF9QTPTKL4L68Aa825W-AQ">Quetzalcoatl

Something related to him near the 12th fret, and then feathers for the others would work, or suns, or stars ha.

You could also try just basic Mayan writing symbols, since most of them were already square, weren't they? Take a square inlay piece, and simply cut or saw the lines into them to make the symbol.

fficial%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D569%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=732&vpy=72&dur=7991&hovh=200&hovw=252&tx=138&ty=89&ei=ZmBQTNyCJsSAlAe-vonMCQ&page=1&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0">Symbols

Some of those wouldn't be too bad. Cut the pattern into a square inlay with an exacto knife (it'd have to be plastic, I know) and then ink-wash them to make it stand out.

For the body, incorporating one of the stories into the paint would be amazing.

There are so many interesting things that could be included.

Also: I think the headstock should be shaped like this haha:

fficial%26gbv%3D2%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D569%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1">Head-Headstock

Is yours going to be thinline, like the pictured?

No, the guitar will be a solid body, PRS Custom 22 shape.

The inlay idea with the symbols/astrological theme would definitely be sweet. I'm just not real sure how I would go about doing that, (The planets and stars, that is). I don't want something too showy, but I want it to definitely be unique. I'll probably toy around on some sketches with the symbols and such!

Thanks for the ideas too! I really like the Quetzalcoatl idea .

As for the headstock, I don't think I would be able to pull off your build, with it being my first build and all. I'm probably going to just keep the headstock shape something similar to PRS's.

Ok, ok ha.. But if I build one with that headstock now, your rights have been relinquished haha.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
The painting of that example guitar totally made me vomit on the inside, but good luck with the build in general.

How much work have you put into planning the build? I mean, have you drawn the whole thing out to scale and gone through every single step in your mind? I don't mean to patronise, but it'll save you a bit of bother when you get a stage and think "Crap, what do I need to do to get this result?", which brings a hefty risk of frustrated, damaging work.
Quote by -MintSauce-
The painting of that example guitar totally made me vomit on the inside, but good luck with the build in general.

How much work have you put into planning the build? I mean, have you drawn the whole thing out to scale and gone through every single step in your mind? I don't mean to patronise, but it'll save you a bit of bother when you get a stage and think "Crap, what do I need to do to get this result?", which brings a hefty risk of frustrated, damaging work.

The painting was just an idea. I might not even go through with it, because I don't think it'll look too great on a PRS shape.

And yes, I have thought out the whole build. I've drawn out most of it, and have most certainly taken this every step through my head. I'm not going to be rushing it, because I want to make sure I get it right.

As it is right now, I'm waiting on the place that supplies the Kauri wood to tell me how much it'll cost for that wood. I'll be ordering the PRS custom 22 templates tonight.
I'm definately watching this one
Sounds awesome
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
Change of plans, instead of doing the dream PRS style one (Which I'll eventually do, but I think its too high of expectations for a first build ), I'm going to make a '59 LP.

Here's the mahogany, from Warmoth. Ordered the templates, and they should be here by next Tuesday hopefully, so then we can get this build underway .
Last edited by Entheogenic at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by Scotsman24`
still going for the mayan paint scheme?

I dont think so, even in the process of deciding between making an LP or a PRS, I even decided if I was going to do the PRS, it'd be similar to Al D's Prism, but in the correct order and different shades.

The '59 LP will be a burst. Keeping it true to a '59, as I love '59s and bursts anyways.