Quote by omotog
I have watched this video many times and I still don't understand how he could come up with it...does he uses scales or what? I know John Frusciante knows music theory really well but how does he apply that to his playing here?
This is the video I'm talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD-Mkn0AzAU&feature=related

Thanks

it sounds like he's just playing what comes to him, lol

but he's just doing some commonish chord progressions, especially reminiscent of those in red hot chili peppers and adding some scalar (belonging to a scale) licks here and there between or during the chords

but yeah, it just sounds like he learned his stuff and then let it bleed out
Yes he's using scales.

In particular, the chord progression goes Em, D, C. So that's the key of E minor. Just before each change he throws in a lick using the E minor scale. He's also emphasising chord tones a lot, which gives a feeling of progression to the self-jam, even though it's only one guitar.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
alright, thanks for the answers, but i do have one kind of related question. You said he's playing Em D C. But my question is how do you take a regular Em (or D or C) chord (and by regular i mean played notes on the 2nd fret) and move it higher on the neck while still making it a Em chord like he's doing?

Can you just use the same notes and it is an Em chord?
Last edited by omotog at Jul 28, 2010,
Well it's the same notes, just higher. See how at the 5th fret of your guitar it makes the same note as the next string? Well that's sort of what's happening here, those notes originally on the 2nd frets are shifted up 5 frets to now appear on the 7th fret, one string below where they were originally. Also the original lowest note has been removed, and a new high note has been added. That's an extremely basic way of explaining why the E minor chord can be played higher. In practice it can be played in several positions on the fretboard.

So you should probably learn your chords (barre chords now) and scales.

Here's some more guidance for the vid anyway, have some chords.

Em

D

C

And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
you must know the formulas for Chords so you can move them(google chord formulas) ... Em = R(E) b3 (G) 5 (B) .. you want your R note (E) to be on the bottom most string (thicker string) you can have it some where else but those are called chord inversions and dont pertain to your question. remember the only way to get damn good is to make your brain do a lot of work when it comes to theory.... don't rely on movable chord shapes, write down the scale you are wanting (in this case Em scale) take your III note (G) and your V note (B) to make the E minor chord then find your root note (E) on your guitar(this guy probably used 7 fret 5th string E note) and try to find the other notes(G & B) positions yourself..
for a new chord( D or C ) you have to use their appropriate scale to find the fingering for the chord. for these 2 its the major scale. if you find your own chords then you will notice it is only a one fret difference with the 3rds of major and minor chords....
Last edited by elihu4321 at Jul 28, 2010,
and on a side note to Alan Hb... i disagree with your comment thing... i don't think guitar hero will make anyone better at guitar.. but i believe it can be helpful... especially when it comes to trying to play by ear, guitar hero does make you focus and tune in to the sound of the instrument you are playing (very important skill to develop) and informs you to how many notes are being played(especially for Expert level )