Page 1 of 2
So i Have a Les Paul special 2 and a crate amp....i have a decent heavy tone but i want something heavier....anyone have any ideas on how to do so?
Assuming your amplifier has enough gain (or you have a good distortion box), I would try a BBE Sonic Maximizer - either the pedal or the rackmount unit. You might also try a good graphic EQ pedal.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
im not sure what your tuning is, but if you use standard you may want to try 1/2 step down. Another thing is to increase your pick attack and really get those strings vibrating.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
The BBE Sonic Maximizer will definitely flesh out your sound and add a lot of resonance to your low end. It can really bring the heaviness.
Yeah the problem is.....im in this band....and the other guitarists tone makes me sound like im playing country....he is using a gibson explorer with a b-52 halfstack.....it sucks to be me
i bet..........u can also try thicker strings........ive taken the skinny e string off a bass and put it where my e string goes......its risky but sounds real thick and crunchy............
its risky.........i have a b.c. rich warlock.......my nut is ment for thick strings........a les paul might get damaged unless u change the nut but then u have worry about ur bridge......i got this from system of a downs guitarist......he did it on there mezmerize albume but that was an ibanez iceman guitar he he did it with
Yeah i dont want to mess anything up.....especially since it's my only guitar......im looking to get an esp........any ideas?
esp viper............great guitar i had one and loved it.......great sound but it was real neck heavy.....
the viper (atleast the one i had) had a skinny neck it was just heavy up towards the headstock......i had to work just to hold it up.....lol..........u could try looking into b.c. rich guitarsthe bich is a great guitar as well
It sounds like you need more firepower in the amplifier department. Look at the Bugera 6262 - either the combo or the halfstack. Your Crate isn't going to cut it against your other guitarist's B-52 halfstack.

Ibanez and Washburn make metal-oriented guitars with thin necks. Take a look at the Ibanez S-series and the Washburn WM24VF.
*nod*

The biggest, by far improvement in that direction would be a new amp.

But there are other things you can do that will help, like get a compressor pedal and/or EQ pedal.

After you get a better amp, then you can upgrade your guitar, and that will help more, especially if you get something with EMG's.

Don't try to shortcut by getting EMG's now with that amp though. It won't work.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
actually you'll need a better setup period. your guitar is a low end axe that won't be able to compete with an actual gibson, better pickups will help some. your amp isn't going to cut it either although if the B-52 is solid state then you probably aren't to far behind.
Use less gain. Most people think they need more but all you're doing is losing clarity, it doesn't cut through the mix as well, and it leads to serious feedback problems. I haven't played that amp specifically but older crates tend to lack mids, so try turning that up too. If you're still not happy then, get a new amp
For starters, the B52 is a tube amp, you just arent going to be able to get the volume and tone, especially from a crate amp. You need to pimp out your whole setup lol.. a Sonic Maximizer can help, it might help give you a crunchier tone, but new gear is the best route to go.

Also, James Hetfield uses Les Paul and Explorer body styles for the most part, Ive never heard of him using Vipers/SGs
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Do you guys mic your amps? If so turn your mic up a little louder than his or add some highs in the mix to help you cut through...
But I agree with all those who say new amp...its been proven that any guitar with a humbucker can be used to play heavy shit but the amp and your supporting effects are the keys to a huge sound bro
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
listen to some iced earth,
jon schaffer said that his tone sounds very heavy because of his "agressive" picking and palm muting style, you should try that

also get some distortion pedal, preferably NOT a Boss Metal-Zone
il sara7a il sara7a, i made you a goat but i eated it

we are not racist, we hate everyone equally
What's going on in this thread?

TS, long story short, it sounds like you simply need to upgrade your rig. A new amp would probably have the biggest impact on your sound, after that maybe consider upgrading your guitar. LTD's like you mentioned are good but I'd stay away from the lower end ones, sometimes the wood they use isn't great. Also check out Schecter and Ibanez.

If you'd like to upgrade your gear, give us a budget and tell us the kind of sound you want to get and we can make some recommendations.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
I'd say save some money and upgrade your setup entirely. I used to have the same guitar as you, with a 75w Spider III, it just didn't cut it against my friends' gear. So I got a job, saved up a few grand, now I have what I like to think is a pretty nice setup.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Jul 28, 2010,
Thicker string and more down tuning. Simple
My Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncans
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads
Fender Frontman 25R (Want to upgrade badly)
Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion
Based on your setup, the amp is your number one problem, it just doesn't have the balls to beat that B-52, so your always going to sound tiny compared to your other guitarist. You need a good tube amp that's 50 watts or more, preferably a 2x12 or halfstack, 1x12 have very little bass response compared to a 2x12 or half stack.

The only reason I get such a huge tone out of my Valveking is because of my pickups, I push the hell out of the preamp with my Barenuckle Painkiller.
Quote by Damaging_Excess
Thicker string and more down tuning. Simple

Plenty of Death/Black Metal guitarists tuned no lower than Eb. Tuning lower wont do much other than changing the key you're playing in If you're not getting the right tone from your rig, changing your tuning wont change that.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by B100d Lu57
i think james in metallica plays vipers in the studios

no he doesn't I don't think he even owns one. He usually uses his iron cross les paul which is a Gibson if you look at the headstock.
Quote by perfectchaos23
no he doesn't I don't think he even owns one. He usually uses his iron cross les paul which is a Gibson if you look at the headstock.

He owned an ESP LTD Viper for a while i think he still has it
He used it to play Drop C which was the tuning for St. Anger the guitar was called the "Grynch" it was black and had green flames
He used a Gibson SG for the "Turn the Page" music video
Quote by perfectchaos23

him or kirk does ive seen one of them playing one
Quote by SilverRock113
He owned an ESP LTD Viper for a while i think he still has it
He used it to play Drop C which was the tuning for St. Anger the guitar was called the "Grynch" it was black and had green flames
He used a Gibson SG for the "Turn the Page" music video

thank u 4 clearing that up
what are you playing now? try 10 heavy bottoms. not sure how you feel about thick strings, but maybe even 11s. (make sure your nut has a big enough slot or a thicker string can crack it). ask your shop about it. what guage your you playing now? and doing so will require a slight truss rod adjustment for standard tuning. for dropped....well the pressures might cancel things out.

it might mess with your tuning/songs but can you do drop C which im pretty sure is half step down drop D (thats how i know it. not sure what the technical term is).

if that is too radical, EQ settings. try a bit of a mid scoop (or not too much). generally i use bridge pickup (hotter) and turn the tone on it to like 2-4 (somewhere below 5).

use a thicker stubby pick. my favs are dunlop stubby picks in 2 mm. if thats too small (the size of a jazz 3) they make a big stubby. gives definitely more of a chunky sound compared to a fender medium or example. it will also increase your pick attack with a short stubby sharp pick.

learn to palm mute or slightly palm mute. it can deepen your sound and make it chug.

pedals. changing the tone on a distortion pedal can REALLY alter your sound, as well as how much distortion and saturation you have going on there.
you need a new amp. it can't compete with something like a B-52. what kind of budget do you have??
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by ikey_
what are you playing now? try 10 heavy bottoms. not sure how you feel about thick strings, but maybe even 11s. (make sure your nut has a big enough slot or a thicker string can crack it). ask your shop about it. what guage your you playing now? and doing so will require a slight truss rod adjustment for standard tuning. for dropped....well the pressures might cancel things out.

it might mess with your tuning/songs but can you do drop C which im pretty sure is half step down drop D (thats how i know it. not sure what the technical term is).

if that is too radical, EQ settings. try a bit of a mid scoop (or not too much). generally i use bridge pickup (hotter) and turn the tone on it to like 2-4 (somewhere below 5).

use a thicker stubby pick. my favs are dunlop stubby picks in 2 mm. if thats too small (the size of a jazz 3) they make a big stubby. gives definitely more of a chunky sound compared to a fender medium or example. it will also increase your pick attack with a short stubby sharp pick.

learn to palm mute or slightly palm mute. it can deepen your sound and make it chug.

pedals. changing the tone on a distortion pedal can REALLY alter your sound, as well as how much distortion and saturation you have going on there.

C to D is a whole step, you should really know that..
And all the other advice you gave was horrible..
To play devil's advocate, there's nothing wrong with that amp, it's one of the best SS combos for metal there is.

OP, what are your settings on the GX?
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by perfectchaos23

Wow...james hetfield probably has 500 guitars guys there's no way to know what he has,I'm sure ESP could put any guitar of theirs he wanted in the blink of an eye....I liked them before they got with ESP though lol
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
How about Drop D tuning??? This usually leads to a much heavier sound.

ron666
Page 1 of 2