Before I start, I'm recording screaming for the most part.

I'm having problems with getting a track that doesn't sound "roomy." Since screams are inherently loud, I have to stand about 2 or 3 feet away from the mic to prevent clipping. The problem I've run into is that my vocals sound like I'm standing across the room from the mic.

I've worked around this before by basically burying the vocals in the mix, but I'm currently working on a vocal-centric song. I've tried various combinations of noise gates and compressors, but I've run out of ideas.

I'm currently running a Shure SM48 into a Line 6 UX2, then using Reaper as my DAW.

Any suggestions? I'm quite open to anything that isn't expensive (like $50 MAX).

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
It's already very low. Also, I don't want to be too much closer to the mic. The one I'm using has a fairly pronounced proximity effect.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Hm, what kind of room are you recording in? It should help if you try to dampen it with bedsheets and shit.
It's the smallest room in the house that isn't a closet or a bathroom. Probably about 8 feet across by 12 feet long. I've tried a few different mic placements, and nothing seems to fix.

The bedsheets sound like a good idea. I think I have an old mattress as well.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

So try a closet! Already dampened!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Das_Skittles
It's already very low. Also, I don't want to be too much closer to the mic. The one I'm using has a fairly pronounced proximity effect.

i wouldnt expect there to be too much of a proximity effect at 2 or 3 feet away. its usually when you get inside of 6 inches that it becomes really noticable (at least in my experience). maybe your mic is different, but i would expect a foot a way to have minimal impact in that area

dampening the room seems like the best idea still. or even just taking the room out of the equation, and recording outside. try getting a room effect in the middle of a field
Quote by jof1029
i wouldnt expect there to be too much of a proximity effect at 2 or 3 feet away. its usually when you get inside of 6 inches that it becomes really noticable (at least in my experience). maybe your mic is different, but i would expect a foot a way to have minimal impact in that area

dampening the room seems like the best idea still. or even just taking the room out of the equation, and recording outside. try getting a room effect in the middle of a field

The issue I run into if I get closer than 2 feet is that I instinctively hold onto the mic, which leads to me eating it. Obviously getting that close is bad if I'm screaming.

Recording outside would be great if I had an extension cord long enough

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Quote by Das_Skittles
The issue I run into if I get closer than 2 feet is that I instinctively hold onto the mic, which leads to me eating it. Obviously getting that close is bad if I'm screaming.

Instead of grabbing the mic, grab your headphones. It is almost the same thing.
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
Quote by NnjRik
Instead of grabbing the mic, grab your headphones. It is almost the same thing.

I might set up an extra stand next to the mic so I can grab that.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Quote by L2112Lif
Do it. You can take my straight stand for it if you want to, I might not have enough space for it.

I set up one of those wire music stands. It helps somewhat. I think I'm going to get some PVC piping and make a frame with moving blankets over it to dampen some more.

BTW, we should definitely jam/collaborate on something before you go back to school.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Part of the benefit of using a pop filter - even for those singers whose technique is good enough that they don't need one - is it provides a psychological barrier between you and the mic so you're less likely to grab it... or even get too close to it.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Part of the benefit of using a pop filter - even for those singers whose technique is good enough that they don't need one - is it provides a psychological barrier between you and the mic so you're less likely to grab it... or even get too close to it.

CT

I use one because I enunciate rather heavily. I never thought of it as a barrier. I'm an instrumentalist first; playing woodwinds an guitar for 10 years makes it a habit to want to be touching whatever is making sound.

I just finished putting up a few old mattresses in a V shape. I draped some thick blankets over the V to make a sort of cushy U shape that the mic is in the middle of. I'll report back with results.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

It works great actually. Since I'm singing into a curved surface covered in blankets, it kills most of the reverb. And I find that holding the head phones or my shirt keeps my hands off the mic. It feels unnatural, but I'll get used to it.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07