Hey, I just got an Agile AL-2000 and am looking at upgrading the pickups. It will be mostly a rock and metal guitar and I was looking at getting Duncan Invaders. however, I read somewhere that Invaders in a mahogany guitar will sound like crap. Is this true? and if so, does anyone know any good alternatives? I'm looking for a tone similar to (Dare I say it) Avenged Sevenfold. Something that sounds good while chugging, but still has plenty of note clarity. I play everything from Zeppelin to BFMV to Aerosmith, so I'm hoping to get something that won't screw me over too incredibly bad
What kind of amp are you using? A pickup change will do little to no good if you are using a low watt solid state/digital modeling amp. As for the Invaders, I have no clue really. Never played em.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Well, Synester does use Invaders in his Schecter so if that's what you're looking for, go for it.

Also it also depends on what amp you have, with a bad amp new pickups won't make a huge difference in tone.
Quote by kibatsume
Hey, I just got an Agile AL-2000 and am looking at upgrading the pickups. It will be mostly a rock and metal guitar and I was looking at getting Duncan Invaders. however, I read somewhere that Invaders in a mahogany guitar will sound like crap. Is this true? and if so, does anyone know any good alternatives? I'm looking for a tone similar to (Dare I say it) Avenged Sevenfold. Something that sounds good while chugging, but still has plenty of note clarity. I play everything from Zeppelin to BFMV to Aerosmith, so I'm hoping to get something that won't screw me over too incredibly bad

Like it's been said, Synyster Gates uses invaders, and his custom model has a mahogany body also. EMG's wouldn't be a bad idea either. maybe the HZ ones not the actives.
Quote by Demonikk
Disco break!

Quote by Julz127
Make sure you put me in your citations at the end. Or at least in your sig.
Invaders sound really awesome for some things. pepper keenan uses invaders and gets an awesme tone with a mahogany guitar through a Mesa .50 cal. the invaders arent very articulate and are somewhat dark, they tend to require a different EQ than most other pickups to not sound overly dark.

as for the amp comments, there are so many things that go into having a good tone. yeah, you probably wont get a great tone out of a 10w marshall, even if you're playing a Gibson les paul custom. but you also wont get a good tone out of an ENGL powerball with squier bullet strat. the amp will probably have a greater impact on your tone, but even the amps that most people hate can get decent sounds. I've seen guys get really nice sounds out of even cheap modeling amps with the right EQ
Quote by the_unforgiven6
Like it's been said, Synyster Gates uses invaders, and his custom model has a mahogany body also. EMG's wouldn't be a bad idea either. maybe the HZ ones not the actives.

there really arent enough words to convey how terrible the EMG HZs sound, I would never put them in anything. theres a reason you only find them in cheaper guitars (and the alexi laiho signature ESP LTDs) I like Children of Bodom, but alexi has a horrible tone.
Just a comment, I may be wrong so someone correct me if they know better, but I don't think that Syn uses Invaders that you can buy - I'm pretty sure his are custom Invaders. So getting normal Invader's might not produce the desired results.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Just a comment, I may be wrong so someone correct me if they know better, but I don't think that Syn uses Invaders that you can buy - I'm pretty sure his are custom Invaders. So getting normal Invader's might not produce the desired results.

Syn said said in an interview that he used custom invaders a long time ago but then he said because he has his signature guitar Schecter make him use the pickups that are in the signature guitar, so to keep the cost of the signature down he puts stock invaders in his guitars and the signature models and because replicating his custom pups was ''beyond conception'' or something like that

Quote by forsaknazrael
^Agreed.
Skip Invaders. please.

In fact, I have this lovely diagram about Invaders...

Why does everyone think they need super hot pickups to play anything heavy?

i wouldnt say you need super hot pickups but hotter than average does help stop the high od levels making the tone 'fuzzy'

kupo!
why do so many people start threads like this always wanting the invader? invader sucks, stay away from it.

also the word your looking for is advice, not advise

you can still play heavy music with a moderate output pickup. A decent PAF styled pickup will actually sound awesome with high gain
Depends more on your amp than anything else...I personally don't mind the invaders, but, I have a bright amp, so the darker tone of the invaders isn't a bad thing. But they are hot...and they can sound shitty through some amps. Not my favorite pickup that I own, but they're an improvement over stock pickups in my case.
That Invader diagram is such win. Totally saved.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Eh, I think you can play anything with PAF style pickups. jazz, blues, country, rock, metal. You just need the right amp.

+1 this.
if you want high output pickups make sure they are good ones. unless they are hand wound it's just worth it, they don't sound nearly as good as a production level paf or vintage hot.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Alright, thanks for all the replies, i haven't replied because my internet has been down a few days. :/ I play through a 100 watt Raven on the clean channel, and use pedals for all my distortion. Looking back I think I'm going to go ahead and get a GFS Crunchy Pat for the bridge and a Fat Pat for the neck. I've heard great things about GFS, and it's half the price of the invaders. I was just worried about the PAF pickups not being able to handle high gain without generating too much noise.
Quote by kibatsume
Alright, thanks for all the replies, i haven't replied because my internet has been down a few days. :/ I play through a 100 watt Raven on the clean channel, and use pedals for all my distortion. Looking back I think I'm going to go ahead and get a GFS Crunchy Pat for the bridge and a Fat Pat for the neck. I've heard great things about GFS, and it's half the price of the invaders. I was just worried about the PAF pickups not being able to handle high gain without generating too much noise.
obviously he didn't read anything that anyone said in this thread.

changing pickups and playing them through a cheap amp is literally not going to change anything. It will literally sound exactly the same.

I had played a squier strat, a '72 harmony rocket, and a gibson les paul studio through a line 6 spider, and literally heard no tonal differences. Get what i'm saying?
I actually like the clean channel on the amp, just not the distortion, lol. I want to sell it and get a low wattage tube amp. Maybe a 15 watt or something. But as of now I'm not gigging, just using it for band practice, so I'm not insanely worried. I do plan on replacing the amp within a few months though.
now thats the way to go!

look at a blackstar ht-5, or a jet city jca20
they are relatively cheap low wattage tube amps that don't suck

you could also get a peavey valveking pretty cheap but thats going to be a little louder since they are 50-100 watts
The Jet City jca20 is precisely the amp I was looking at, lol. It has to be something that can be heard over a drummer though :/ i can mic it for gigs, but not practice.
hmm, 20 watts all tube should be loud enough. they just came out with the JCA50 though if you have a little more money.

Ask acoustic mirror, pretty sure he has a jca20
Quote by kibatsume
I actually like the clean channel on the amp, just not the distortion, lol. I want to sell it and get a low wattage tube amp. Maybe a 15 watt or something. But as of now I'm not gigging, just using it for band practice, so I'm not insanely worried. I do plan on replacing the amp within a few months though.

just so ya know a 15w tube amp is 3x louder than a 15w ss so a 15w tube amp will get pretty loud before it goes into od unless it has a master volume or you use pedals etc