Intro(wow, it's like i'm writing a book lmfao)
Hey guys, it's your old pal Shaggy back again to "ask the internets" about guitar gear :]
I understand that I am only one guy, so I can't possibly hope to get an idea of what out there is good without some help...so here I am, on the interweb, looking for opinions...shouldn't be tooo hard to find >.>

Background(keep going, you're almost to the important part ;] )
So here's the beef...my friend Amy's one of the most talented songwriter's I've met in a long time, but she's got an extremely strong acoustic/90's style/coffee shop vibe goin and she wants to rock out for once. She's got this old harmony strat copy that's pretty bland sounding, and I've decided to do some charity work and make her guitar really sing you know?

My question
So this guitar needs some much more exciting pickups, not necessarily bluesy, but nothing in the metal part of the skies. Something with a bit of a crunch would work nicely I think...sooo
What do you use?
What do you like?
I'm not opposed to a SSH setup...
Please, point me in the right direction, I'm a Les Paul man looking for strat pickups so God know's I could use some advice :]

And if you don't have any advice, What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?
Think the mods wont like that? :\
I've never had a thread get banned before... :3
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987
You really like input jacks, don't you?

My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
I like you

Could look into simply getting a new guitar, or new amp, but if new pups are all you can afford to help her with, then I'm really not sure. I've heard good things about Lollar pups, could also look at a cheaper SD lil' 59 or cool rails/ vintage rails.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by CL/\SH
I like you

Could look into simply getting a new guitar, or new amp, but if new pups are all you can afford to help her with, then I'm really not sure. I've heard good things about Lollar pups, could also look at a cheaper SD lil' 59 or cool rails/ vintage rails.

Aww, I'll send you a friend request cause I'm really lame and have like two friends :<
Believe me, if I could buy her an American strat, I'd be forkin over bills to the sneaky guy behind guitar center and he'd be handing me one from the inside of his jacket, but since he just got arrested, my blackmarket stolen guitars connections have officially run dry :\

This brings up a good point tho, I'm an unsigned musician and therefore dirt poor. I'd say my budget on pups is about $150 for all 3...
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Well I'd find out which two she uses the most and upgrade those.

That or upgrade them all with a set of the Fender Hot Noiseless pups, it's about 130 bucks for the whole set.

The poster above me also made a good suggestion.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Jul 28, 2010,
A very underated set is the EMG SL20's. It's a HSS set up (85/SLV/SLV) The 85 can range from the smoothest tone to crushing metal and crunch, and the 2 SLV's are amazing clean and Crunch
Gear
Ibanez RG350EX
Encore E9
BB Blaster

I like Llamas
HSS - Maybe a Single coil sized P90 in the middle for versatility?

Check GFS for decent but cheap pups
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Yeah, amp is more important. In fact, we don't even know what the guitar is!
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
Yeah, amp is more important. In fact, we don't even know what the guitar is!

I already said that it's an old harmony strat knockoff, prolly from the early-mid 90's :] As far as amps go, I've lent her my old squier 15 amp, I know what you're thinking, it's squier, it must be awful, burn it burn it kill death strangle drown hula chop deathhhhh!!!! but it really is a fair amp to start out with, I used it exclusively for over a year when i started and to be honest...I kinda want it back >.<
Her metal head bass playing bf wants her to get a line 6 or a peavey vyper. I just about hit him when he suggested it, the vyper series is just awful, it really is :/
anyways....first things first, I want to get her a decent sounding guitar :]
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Go to http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/ , contact Tim, tell him what your needs are, and he will recommend you some pickups, or custom wind you some to your needs. Some of the best pickups in my opinion.

Or you can go with some DiMarzio Area 58, Area 61, or Area 67 single coils. If you do the DiMarzio's, I would put a 58 in the bridge, and a 61 in the middle and neck.

Edit: Ask, I'm a moron
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Jul 28, 2010,
Quote by ze monsta
tone comes primarily from the amp.

I played this guitar thro my 1979 peavey classic VT 212 and it practically wet itself. The pups in this thing are pathetic, it almost caught fire when I played it thro my blackheart...the noise that came out was something like *buzzzzzzzzzzzzkillmescratchhhhhhhhhIsuxxxxxxxxx*
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275