I just got the Ibanez RG120 a few days ago, and though it is a huge step up from my old guitar, it still leaves a bit to be desired. I noticed that with heavy gain my notes, especially chords, get slightly 'crackly.' Though distortion is supposed to sound a little fuzzy, I know there is such a thing as clear distortion. It will do this even if the amp is not real loud, so I don't believe it is the amp's fault. I am using a 15 watt Marshall 15FX Combo Amp, and the pickups are Ibanez INF3 (Neck) and INF4 (Bridge). I am considering buying new pickups, since I am guessing that's where the problem is. I am fairly new to guitar, so I left myself rather confused after searching hours on the web for different kinds of pickups. Anyone have any suggestions?

FYI if you are curious about the tone I'm looking for:
I mostly play Saosin, but I also cover some Armor For Sleep, Secret And Whisper, Rise Against, and Three Days Grace. I know that's a broad range but I hope it helps.
The problem is with your amp. Better to upgrade that first.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Your amp is the problem. Also, don't bother upgrading pickups in that guitar. It's not worth it. (I used to have one.)

Right now, the best thing you can do is just save up for a new amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Hmm, ok. Is it the wattage, or the quality of the amp itself? I can't get a real loud amp because I have an apartment.
upgrading pickups in an rg120 is not worth it, i'd suspect pickups would cost more than the whole guitar is worth.

your amp at this point will be a lot mroe important. Upgrade your amp first. then when you can afford it just get a whole new guitar

the mg is not a very good amp. wattage doesn't matter, just look at something else. Checkout a Blackstar HT-5
Changing pickups won't do you any good on any low watt solid state amp. You should definitely save up for a new amp, either a tube amp or a bigger and better solid state amp.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."