Well, I have a very simple question.. depends it might not be that simple.. lets see..

So guys, when learning a solo do you open the tabs/guitar pro and memorize it like hell.. Yesterday I was learning the solo to trooper by maiden. I memorized adrian's solo but it took me long to learn it.. now after I play one part I think which part is next.. since I THINK in the middle, I loose track.. the next parts starts and I am behind it.. So, guys what do you do? do you just memorize it like I do or is there another way?

thanks in advance,

P.S.: I search all the forum but couldnt find if anyone asked the same

Gear
Schecter Jeff Loomis NT (7 string bad-ass)
Esp Ltd Deluxe MH-1000 FR
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363
If you wanna learn how to play something, first you gotta listen it!

Last.fm
take it slowly with lots of repitition of each phrase and build it up in the order that it`s actually played in, just takes lots of practice and patience.....so far i`m entering my 5th week of learning steve vai`s shyboy and i`ve just got to the sweeping section (2 verses, 2 choruses and 1/2 a solo so far)
The first thing you need to do is memorise the solo itself, you'll always struggle to learn to play something if you don't know exactly what it's supposed to sound like when you get it right.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
what about the memorization part?

Gear
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363

Last.fm
I usually learn it first before i try to memorize it. And try to find some logical pattern in the solo. Most of them have some logic.
Quote by MightyAl
Isn't it odd, that Iron Man is a superhero, whereas "iron, woman!" is a command?

EAT MY ASS AND BALLS.
Quote by Rangor6363
what about the memorization part?

like i said lots of repetition, it`s not going to happen instantly, and as steven seagull said you`ve gotta know what the solo is suppose to sound like and isolate the phrases from there, commit each phrase to memory as you learn it and build it up from there.

knowing your scale theory helps heaps, and any complex parts you can then just jam to

learn phrase 1
practice
learn and practice phrase 2
phrase 1 + phrase 2
learn phrase 3....etc

yes it`s tedious but it works
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jul 28, 2010,
btw would you guys say that solo to trooper is an easy one? intermediate one or advance one?

maybe rate out of 10.. where 10 is hardest and 0 is the easiest..

Gear
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363

Last.fm
Quote by ibanezgod1973
thats entirely subjective depends on experience....i`d give it a 2.

WTF is your 10?

to TS: Break them down into phrases, learn and practice those in order. There is really no need to memorize/ learn the whole thing first.. You'll memorize it automatically as you go.
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
Of course you can memorize tabs for solos or do it any other way you wish. There is no right or wrong way but I have to agree with the guys who say you should break it down to phrases. Learn each and every phrase and don't move on until you can play the first phrase cleanly. Once it's finished they flow together easily.

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
Quote by bj_squeelie
WTF is your 10?

to TS: Break them down into phrases, learn and practice those in order. There is really no need to memorize/ learn the whole thing first.. You'll memorize it automatically as you go.

perhaps cliffs of dover??

Gear
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363

Last.fm
Yeah, I know what you are talking about. Personally I don't use tablature. I find too many things that are wrong and it drives me up the wall. I use Reed Kotler's Transkriber software to slow things down and slowly bring them up to speed. I always forget the parts that I've just learned and have to go back over them. Repetition is the only way I know of to commit them to memory. And the Transkriber helps by allowing you to play the parts at a slower speed. The only downside is that the Transkriber doesn't play MP3's. You have to use .Wav files which take up a lot more space. I use Free Wave MP3 Converter 7.0 to turn my mp3's into .Wav files. Cliffs of Dover? Yeah, there's a lot to commit to memory in that one.
I don't know if I'd rate it as low as a 2 as IbanezGod did, but it's doesn't sound like it would be hard to figure out. Playing-wise, I would say maybe a 5 for difficulty, but it doesn't sound like it would be overly difficult to play. The hardest part to figure out would probably be that short harmony bit. Now I'm going to start fantasizing about that Eventide that I wish was sitting in my rack. : )
Actually it is a easy solo (well, I have been playing it for a week now), it was extremely easy to learn adrian's solo but after that there is murray's solo which he plays different everywhere, every tabs has a different solo, every youtube vid has a different solo.. cmon!! it sickens me

Gear
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363

Last.fm
Whenever I learn a solo, I take a brief look at it (2-3 listens) and watch the tab on TuxGuitar, then I break it down into phrases and see what I'm doing after that I turn the tempo down to half of the original and play that phrase once in your going at half the speed you can often play the song as you watch the tab go along the screen and helps you play it, to memorise it you need to play it and as you go along, up the tempo occasionally until you get it right at full tempo, this helped me learn my first solos. Hope it helps.
My name is Jack.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
the reason the youtube vids are different is dave now plays in drop D

Dave plys in drop d?
Gear:

Jackson Dinky
Cort Zenox Z22

Peavey Bandit 112 transtube series
Learn the solo in parts, master one part then move to the other part then merge the two parts, continue like this until you have the complete solo down.