I'm hoping you can recommend some good guitars for a beginner player. Nothing seriously cheap, it has to be reasonable quality.

• £200/$300 ish max
  • Versatile (not sure which musical styles he wants to play)
  • Available left handed (just throw righties at me, I'll check for lefty later)
  • Can Be 2nd Hand to Save Money
Squier and ibanez both make starter packs, their decent guitars and should b available in lefty or if your just looking for a guitar get a squier strat with 2 single coil pickups and a humbucker in the bridge which will cover a variety of sounds... they should be around 100-200 bucks at any guitar center or any quality shop

That's what I started with and I wish I still had that guitar today...

Good luck
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Squires are the way to go definatly, some of the higher end ones are really nice, very good beginner guitars.
Used Fender Strat MIM. I got a 2004 in amazing condition for exactly $300. Great guitars and I see left handed models on craigslist at least once a month.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Cort G250 LH. Very good beginner/improver guitar & a cut above most starter-pack guitars. Has HSS pickup configuration with a coil tap on the humbucker. They range from £210 to £250-ish new and are obviously cheaper 2nd hand if you can find a left hand one. Richards Guitars will sell you one with a free setup, though they tend to be on the expensive side price-wise.

Having said that there is one for sale on eBay right now, though it is pick up only from Essex and if your friend is in Scotland that will present a problem unless you can persuade the seller to post it or arrange a courier yourself.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cort-G250-Electric-Guitar-left-handed-/170519548920?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27b3c1d3f8
Quote by teamhex
Used Fender Strat MIM. I got a 2004 in amazing condition for exactly $300. Great guitars and I see left handed models on craigslist at least once a month.

This is another decent option, though as TS is based in Scotland & I have to assume his friend is, he will be much better off on eBay than Craigslist. You can find used left handed MIM Strats quite frequently, though I think £200 will be nearer the bottom end of the price range in the UK.

Finding most lefty guitars 2nd hand takes a long time unless they are Les Paul or Strats.
Quote by Vialli
This is another decent option, though as TS is based in Scotland & I have to assume his friend is, he will be much better off on eBay than Craigslist. You can find used left handed MIM Strats quite frequently, though I think £200 will be nearer the bottom end of the price range in the UK.

Finding most lefty guitars 2nd hand takes a long time unless they are Les Paul or Strats.

Yeah, but I dont trust buying a used guitar on ebay. Unless I can get a good look at it im not sure if im getting screwed.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
I would say ESP/LTD if you're into rock/metal !! Their awesome and even the cheapest is higher quality than most squiers and other cheap stuff ! Nothing personal against squier though, just not my cup of tea