Today I decided filming myself doing this rock blues solo (or atleast half of it) that I've been learning for the past month (and I still can't play it cleanly at full speed, atleast this one spot). So anyway, knowing that I can't play this one lick in full speed I still did it, and I even did it while standing which I've never done so It messed up my playing even more. While playing, I myself saw so maany mistakes and just thought it was pretty bad. Then I looked at the video and it sounded really good, as if I did no almost no mistakes at all. So my theory is either:

a) Playing just sounds better on video then live

b) Being the one that is playing, I spot the mistakes much more and give a shit about them too much?

Other thoughts?
you're an upside down person, normally the mistakes are more noticeable on video/audio registration.
that's why me and others film themselves playing to see their mistakes and correct them.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by Krieger91
you're an upside down person, normally the mistakes are more noticeable on video/audio registration.
that's why me and others film themselves playing to see their mistakes and correct them.

pr0nn???
guitar pr0n??
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Drugs? Nah seriously it's basically just alot easier to notice mistakes when your playin than when your watching
you never know how good you are `til you listen to it from the 3rd person perspective, just be relaxed when playing at it will flow out naturally
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Drugs? Nah seriously it's basically just alot easier to notice mistakes when your playin than when your watching

I agree with this. It's funny how sometimes at band practice someone will be like "wow I really f**ked up that part" and no one even noticed.
Goes the other way for me, lol. I record and think man...that was pretty good. Then I watch it and cant post it because I don't like what I see. In a live setting with my friends I do fine though so maybe im just over critical.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Probably number 2. Sometimes YOU are YOUR WORST CRITIC. Ease up. Don't be so hard on yourself.

ron666
Quote by ron666
Probably number 2. Sometimes YOU are YOUR WORST CRITIC. Ease up. Don't be so hard on yourself.

ron666

+1 i am the exact same way dude but isnt that what drives you to be a an even better guitarist? and besides people always say sound amazing so i guess im doing something right
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
Epiphone Slash Signature Les Paul
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
TC Electronics Ditto Looper
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Electro-Harmonix Freeze Sound Retainer
No need for video, audio recording will tell you just as much about your playing without the visual distractions and worrying about how you look .
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
No need for video, audio recording will tell you just as much about your playing without the visual distractions and worrying about how you look .

I find watching how my hands and arms move during certain parts of songs helps me work out how to move differently so I can play cleaner.
I notice Mistakes just as much on video as when I'm playing. Although I do seem to notice rhythm mistakes easier when playing and note mistakes on video easier...
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
I've got the opposite thing; Things sound better to me when I'm playing, and when I watch or hear it back, I see all my little flaws and make a bigger deal about them. (Which is why I never listen to my good takes; I get friends to do it for me, if I don't I'll be redoing four seconds of playing for hours. If I hit a really sour note, I'll just restart the take.)

I also agree with Ken on audio vs. video; Django Reinhardt proved that traditional fingering isn't the only proper way to do it, so listening instead of watching eliminates a lot of my unneeded concerns of looking smoother doing it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Yeah, I notice SO MANY mistakes while I play too. I seriously wish I didn't. It almost makes playing live unenjoyable for me. I guess that's why I like recording so much. You can just fix the mistakes and listen to something you KNOW will be good.

But I don't think you're too difficult on yourself. A healthy, humble, logical, sense of self-criticism WILL always help you play more effectively.