Yeah, So i want a set of pickups for my Epiphone SG Special, But i can't afford expensive ones like seymours and bareknuckles. I'd like to achieve something like the Angus Young kind of tone if possible, But for less than 30-ish quid.

Also, Where can i get a pickguard to fit my Special? I think the G-310 one would fit but i cant seem to find one anywhere...
If you want decent cheap pickups check iron gear pick ups, i tried them and love them.
they distribute through axetec.co.uk and it's like 25 quid per pick up. worth well more than they sell for.
Quote by hendo <3 valves
If you want decent cheap pickups check iron gear pick ups, i tried them and love them.
they distribute through axetec.co.uk and it's like 25 quid per pick up. worth well more than they sell for.

yeh Irongear pickups are far better than the price tag lets on, i replaced the dimarzio in my SG for one of the pickups they offer.
Megadeaf wrote:

I have a mod that makes a Metal Zone sound better. You will need a hammer and a strong arm. Smash pedal repeatedly.
Quote by hendo <3 valves

+1. Totally. They're not just "good for the price", but actually just downright good. Full stop. And since you're a UKer, they're cheap with shipping too.
Another +1 for the Irongear picksups. I've been hearing good things about them from a variety of people.

Gonna get a Jailhouse Rail for upgrading a strat copy from singles
And another +1 for Iron Gear - also I've PM'd you - I've got a G310 pickguard, with the protective coating still on for sale.
Where can one go about finding said "irongear" pickups in America?
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Quote by Tone Deaf
Where can one go about finding said "irongear" pickups in America?

www.axetec.co.uk - in shipping options they'll send to USA. Looks like it's £5 for a single pickup, £11 for two. Not sure what that is in $$ though.
Quote by Pikka Bird
+1. Totally. They're not just "good for the price", but actually just downright good. Full stop. And since you're a UKer, they're cheap with shipping too.

They use low quality metric parts and chines steel which does not add up to a good pickups. They do make better pickups than what you would find stock in the "bargin" guitars but if you are looking at budget "quality" guitars then they are hit and miss. They are better than the pickups you would find in an MIM fender but not as good as the better EPI pickups. So I wouldn't say they are good... Just good for the money and only if you are looking to dramatically change your tone, rather than upgrading it.

Most people that get GFS or Iron gear pickups to replace epi pickups are actually stepping down in terms of quality. The ceramic mag pickups that they put on the Starter epi guitars are worse than GFS and Iron gear but the Alnico pickups that they put on the middle and top of the line epi guitars are as good or better than the budget aftermarket pickups. If you have vintage output pickups, no money, and need higher output pickups (or have high output and need vintage output) then GFS or Iron Gear may be a good option for getting in the ballpark but swapping out a PAF style pickup for another PAF style pickup probably won't give you better tone.

The budget pickups that I recommend are tonerider. They sit inbetween Duncan and GFS in terms of price in the US. In the EU they are significantly cheaper than the name brands but still more expensive than Irongear. They are good pickups, good for the price, and, IMO, as good as any mass produced name brand pickups on the market. They are not as good as the smaller pickup companies but they are still good pickups.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 28, 2010,
... I may not know a ton about pickups, but does it really matter tone-wise whether they're in metric or english?
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
rockfield? they arent like GFS or IronGear where you have to buy them online, im sure your local music store could order them in, they average about 55$ a pup, highest they go is about 60$.
BC Rich uses them, mostly with the middle range and the Zoltan Bathory Sig.
i dont own any, but ive played a couple BC Richs with them. (although i did play them upside down :S)
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
Quote by JD2k9
Hmmmm I think it'd be a good idea to get a set of Irongear's. I don't know which one to get though :P

for an Angus young type of sound, get the Blues engine in both position. U can get the dirty torque for the bridge if u want a bit more output.

Alternatively, u can get a rolling mill in the neck and an overwound rolling mill for the bridge.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Place a local ad for pick ups 'wanted'. Put what you want in the ad. I get excellent deals this way. You might even have a gearhead offer to install them free for you. I'veeven given pick ups away for free.

Don't get caught up on a 'name'. 'Quality' is often an bogus way to charge shmucks more for a brand name.

Do a search on Youtube, Google etc. and listen to a pick up played on various equipment, amps etc. if you can't replicate all elements of a recording, then don't try to 'get their sound' by changing pick ups. There are too many variables.
Last edited by Raptorfingers at Jul 28, 2010,
Quote by Tone Deaf
... I may not know a ton about pickups, but does it really matter tone-wise whether they're in metric or english?

Metric or imperial

and yes! The spacing of the strings changes inductance, capacitance, and resistance of the coil all of which help shape tone. Having metric sizes on the poles also chances inductance, capacitance, and the size of the magnetic field which also changes tone. Small things make a huge difference.

The biggest problem with the bargain Asian pickups isn't the spacing... It's the metals used. Humbuckers use Chinese steel which is much muddier than American, Japanese, German, or British equivalents due to the way they manufacture and treat the steel. Chines steel also tends to have a lower carbon content which makes the pickup less responsive. The bargain single coils use plastic bobbins which holds the wire further from the magnetic core and causes the pickups to sound sluggish and dead.
Quote by CorduroyEW
They use low quality metric parts and chines steel which does not add up to a good pickups.

I don't see how it can possibly detract either. I personally prefer my IronGears to the Seymour Duncans I've tried.
i've also seen gibson 490's and 498's go on ebay for like $40 since they're so commonly used as stock pickups in a lot of gibsons