Hey,

So my bass player is looking to get a nice new bass.
He is set on getting a Fender Jazz or Precision bass, maybe a MM stingray if we can find one for the right price.

We play in Drop B and he uses 130 gauge strings.

I have NO idea what is good in a bass guitar for low tunings and metalcore type music.
I found a nice 70's RI fender P bass that he would dig and the price is decent.
I just have no idea if Ash is a good bass wood haha.

Also,
he is looking at getting a decent bass amp.
Was thinking of a Warwick 5.2 or 3.2 and matching cab.
But again, my bass amp knowledge is limited, and so are his funds.

So if any could point me in the right direction and help me become more educated in this area it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers!
DT's bassist has a 6 string music man
I'd say they'd be decent enough.

Unless you want a proper thrash bass.

Ibanez would be a balanced call, too.

If you're going heavier, maybe a jackson? higher end jacksons are nice
The Jazz, if it's between those two. I would go for a used Peavey, or Ashdown, but with amps it's important to try them.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Up your budget by $90 and buy this. even comes stringed BEAD. Used to belong to the bass player of The Red Shore if that matters to you.
A used MM 'Ray would be sweet. They tend to cut through very well in metalcore settings (a-la Converge).

But, i'd reccomend focusing a lil' more on the amp rig than the bass itself. Your friend could save some money and still get a decent Sterling By MM 'Ray (Or even an Ibanez ATK) and then have more to play with when it's time to buy a good rig.

As for the rig, my advice (which i practice, see the sig):

"Buy used. Buy big. Be louder than god."

15's will be cheaper than 10's and 12's. Solidstates will be cheaper than tubes.

My first rig was my Sunn Coliseum head and Ampeg 2x15 that i got for about $400 total.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
that Taranis is pretty cool, though Warwicks are a hate or love thing, your bassist should pick one up and try it out at a shop first.

if you can't get a used MM, there is something wrong in the world though. I've seen one pop up for 800 on craigslist multiple occasions, scratched and thrashed of course, but thats what a bass is supposed to look like. for 1200 you can get one I'm sure.

or he could find a 5 string jazz or P, if thats interesting to him.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
that Taranis is pretty cool, though Warwicks are a hate or love thing, your bassist should pick one up and try it out at a shop first.

if you can't get a used MM, there is something wrong in the world though. I've seen one pop up for 800 on craigslist multiple occasions, scratched and thrashed of course, but thats what a bass is supposed to look like. for 1200 you can get one I'm sure.

or he could find a 5 string jazz or P, if thats interesting to him.

He's in Australia. MM's for some reason hold their value disgustingly well over here. He'd still be looking well over budget. But, there is a dude on ozbassforum selling a SUB passive for $600 in Melbourne... I'll see if I can find the link.

EDIT: Goddamn, he sold it. Link anyway (to prove I wasn't lying).
Last edited by consecutive e at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by consecutive e
Up your budget by $90 and buy this. even comes stringed BEAD. Used to belong to the bass player of The Red Shore if that matters to you.

Be careful though that straoplock may not be secure, in one of the pictures the front one is taped up.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Bassist Rising
Be careful though that straoplock may not be secure, in one of the pictures the front one is taped up.

Actually the back one is as well. It's with 6 month warranty anyway so who cares? Nitpicky much?
Quote by consecutive e
He's in Australia. MM's for some reason hold their value disgustingly well over here. He'd still be looking well over budget. But, there is a dude on ozbassforum selling a SUB passive for $600 in Melbourne... I'll see if I can find the link.

EDIT: Goddamn, he sold it. Link anyway (to prove I wasn't lying).

hm.

well that stinks.

in that case, you could buy a deluxe jazz or a 24 and rerout the bridge pickup for a humbucker. that'll sound about right.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

He NEARLY got a whole rig for $800.
Dude pulled out after everything was confirmed and shit.
Dude probably sold it to someone else, don't blame him.
It was a MIM jazz and Hartke head and a GK cab.

I think I'm going to get him to try out some of those Bugera Ampeg looking clones.
See if they are any good.
And then if they are, get one of those new(cheap) and a used 4x10 cab(possibley Warwick)

Also missed out on an awesome Ray on OzBass.
That forum seems to have the BEST deals but they always seem to be sold by the time I get to them.
Or the users are non-responsive.

Thinking it will be a Jazz or Ray now.
The guying buying it likes Jazz's most, and I've heard from some people on a metal recording forum I frequent that they are a great recording bass.

cheers for the help so far guys!
Keep the suggestions comin!
run away from Bugera, they're from the same guys as Behringer, which means I'd rather play a nameless that looks shoddy than a brand new one.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by wongacaster
He NEARLY got a whole rig for $800.
Dude pulled out after everything was confirmed and shit.
Dude probably sold it to someone else, don't blame him.
It was a MIM jazz and Hartke head and a GK cab.

I think I'm going to get him to try out some of those Bugera Ampeg looking clones.
See if they are any good.
And then if they are, get one of those new(cheap) and a used 4x10 cab(possibley Warwick)

Also missed out on an awesome Ray on OzBass.
That forum seems to have the BEST deals but they always seem to be sold by the time I get to them.
Or the users are non-responsive.

Thinking it will be a Jazz or Ray now.
The guying buying it likes Jazz's most, and I've heard from some people on a metal recording forum I frequent that they are a great recording bass.

cheers for the help so far guys!
Keep the suggestions comin!

I was looking at that ray on ozbass too, just the price he had on it made me want to buy it, I mean $600 for a SUB?! Shit yeah. It's a shame I really don't like Rays.
Keep an eye out on Bass Centres used section, there's some really great deals to be had there, I got my Spector Euro from them. Keep an eye out on ebay as well that place has been great for used amps here lately.

Quote by the humanity
run away from Bugera, they're from the same guys as Behringer, which means I'd rather play a nameless that looks shoddy than a brand new one.

They do an all tube SVT clone that looks quite nice, I'd still rip the Bugera logo off it though . I wouldn't go for anything solid-state they made though. TS don't buy a Nuke...