Whats up UG?! hahahaha. had a question about some amps. As i am now in a band, i feel the need to upgrade to a new amp as our other guitarist is using a Marshall MG Half Stack (terrible amp), but much louder than mine. Preferably this amp could be all tube and also I would like a combo amp not a stack. And also i dont see the need to go above 20 watts tube cause that is plenty loud for "jamming." The amps Ive looked at are:

Blackstar HT-20
Blackheart Handsome Devil Combo
Jet City's 20 watt combo (forgot the name, lol)

any of these good? are there some i missed?

P.S I forgot to mention that we play metal and hard rock, and also I will be playing these amps at the local store I just want an opinion from all you ultimate guitar people out there.

Forgot to mention (god i am stupid) I own a Vypyr 30 right now with a Digitech RP5 and a MIM HSS Strat

Thanks
Last edited by rockmasta88 at Jul 28, 2010,
Quote by BabyWantABottle
Lazy J 20 with VAC

my bad. anyways, is it a good amplifier?
What's your budget? Also, is the other guitarist the lead player?
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Chikao42: yes, he is lead but in some songs i will probably play lead. and 500 dollars

jackamedmos: possibly. ive heard jet city is better
Quote by Jackamedmos
6505+ 112 combo

I agree. Honestly I'd go with more than 20 watts, it would probably be fine but I wouldn't want to have amp my running full volume all the time, plus you'd have no headroom
any other suggestions? ill definitely check out the peavey. and btw thanks alot guys this really helped
I'd say 6505+ and a 2x12 combo, or an Orange Dual Terror.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Quote by rockmasta88
Chikao42: yes, he is lead but in some songs i will probably play lead. and 500 dollars

jackamedmos: possibly. ive heard jet city is better

Not for metal. After you get a 5150 variant like the 6505+, there's really no need to ever upgrade again.

Don't get me wrong, the JCA20 CAN do metal, but you're going to need to boost it to get the really saturated tone that the 6505+ will get you straight out of the box. Plus, the JCA is 1 channel, whereas the 6505+ is 2.

Granted, there is a a pretty big difference in wattage - but with metal you WANT more wattage, even if you'll never crank it that loud. I have a feeling with those 20w amps, that, unless your drummer hits his drums really light, you're going to be cranking that thing constantly. This means 1 of two things:

1. You're going to be replacing tubes a lot.
2. Your amp is going to sound loose from the power tube saturation.

Metal is about the preamp gain, with a little saturation from the power section to just give it that extra boost. For the most part, you want as much headroom as possible, which is why most metal amps come in 100w+ only.

If you want to stay with 20w though, I'd suggest a Krank Rev Jr. Pro instead.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 28, 2010,
Quote by denied
MC covered the important points.

I can recommend a few more amps, but it doesn't look like you included a price range in the OP. What are you looking to spend?

In one of his replies he said his budget was $500.
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender American Special Strat
Assorted Boss and Hardwire pedals
Vox AC15C1